Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pushing Daisies Canceled!, also Eli Stone, Dirty Sexy Money

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikael79
Somehow I didn't see this news until today, and I'm extremely disappointed that they canceled Pushing Daisies. There was just something very special about the show, something that isn't easily attained, and it's a shame that ABC didn't give it a real chance to come back from the long layoff.

Lets face it, like the other posts above mirror, the general public would rather see no brainer stuff and not intelligent writing.
Old 11-25-08, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Lets face it, like the other posts above mirror, the general public would rather see no brainer stuff and not intelligent writing.
Dancing with D List Stars!
CSI: Wal-Mart
Law & Order - People who eat bacon
Old 11-26-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Dancing with D List Stars!
CSI: Wal-Mart
Law & Order - People who eat bacon
Nah I think next there is going to be a crossover show.

Law & Order: CSI. The show will be done more along the lines of Boston Legal and it will show them trying to actually try the people all the CSI shows catch. This will of course result in another spinoff similar to the The Office called Lawyers which will be the office politics of the lawyers who have to defend the people who constantly confess on CSI.
Old 11-26-08, 11:09 PM

I thought Pushing Daisies was kind of interesting at first, but it quickly became a repetitive bore. Dirty Sexy Money sucks, and I've never seen Eli Stone.
Old 12-03-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Do we know if PD (or any of these shows) will have the ability to wrap things up or are the episodes already in the can? I'd like to know how the Pie Makers story ends.
Old 12-03-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Answering Superman07's question:

Spoiler:
I understand that Pushing Daisies ends on a cliffhanger. I don't get that at all, particularly since Fuller knew this might happen. I hope DSM gives us some resolution. They were in the same situation as PD knowing this could happen. I know nothing of Eli Stone.
Old 12-03-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Answering Superman07's question:

Spoiler:
I understand that Pushing Daisies ends on a cliffhanger. I don't get that at all, particularly since Fuller knew this might happen. I hope DSM gives us some resolution. They were in the same situation as PD knowing this could happen. I know nothing of Eli Stone.
Thanks for the info, but I'd say you can unspoiler that. I almost didn't read it for fear of spoiler.
Old 12-03-08, 08:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Both DSM and Eli will give us a "conclusion". No fear
Old 12-03-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Thanks for the info, but I'd say you can unspoiler that. I almost didn't read it for fear of spoiler.
I'm paranoid about leaving even a mild spoiler untagged after the stuff that went on in the final few threads for The Shield. I agree it's mild, but I assure you somebody out there would be offended.
Old 12-04-08, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a quote from latest issue of TVGuide: "Don't give up hope yet for these floundering shows. While no more episodes have been ordered, show insiders are quick to point out they haven't been canceled and could be saved by last-minute miracles."

And then it mentions:

Pushing Daisies has 6 episodes left. Episodes are scheduled for 12/10 and 12/17 and maybe 1/7

Finale Scoop:
Spoiler:
"We had one episode to give closure, so we chose one [story line] to give some semblance of a satisfying end," says creater Bryan Fuller. Will it be about Ned's dad? Chuck's mom? Fuller's not telling, but adds that the last moments "belong to Chuck and Ned and a major reveal."

DSM has 6 shows left and 2 are scheduled for 12/10 and 12/17 and the rest may air in early 2009.

Finale scoop:
Spoiler:
"All the major destinations to which the pilot pointed are arrived at," say exec producer Craig Wright. The show ends "in a moment of pure, good old-fashioned soap," he adds. "And Nick's apartment get a long-overdue makeover."

And Eli Stone has 7 shows left. Originals air 12/9 and 12/16 with repeats 12/23 and 12/30, and the rest in early 2009.

Finale Scoop:
Spoiler:
"Eli risks his own life to find out which of his loved ones is fated to die in a plane crash," says exec producer Marc Guggenheim. "The only change I'm thinking about making is adding a little thing about Katie Holmes' character, Grace."
Old 12-04-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read that the PD sets have already been dismantled. I'm thinking that's a good sign that it's cancelled.
Old 12-04-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
I thought Pushing Daisies was kind of interesting at first, but it quickly became a repetitive bore.
I'm curious...do you watch House MD?
Old 12-04-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
The big problem with this large number of nets competing for your eyeballs is that it makes it very difficult for a net to stick with a show given the economics of the business.
The "economics of the business" are actually changing whilst the perspective of the executives in terms of ratings has not. Kind of like how the US economy went down the toilet because people we're accepting the actual order of things instead of what they thought they knew.

A show with numbers associated with a hit today would have been considered a flop back in the good old days.
These "good old days" refer to what? When you only had ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS IF you're rabbit ears could manage to tune them all in? When there wasn't anything like video games or the internet to distract us? Face it with all the distractions available to the modern day TV viewer paired with a more diversified selection of programming, the reality is that no show could possibly pull the percentages from back then.

Networks could afford to be patient with shows back then because even a low-rated show pulled in a bug audience.
Right because there was "nothing else on" and "nothing else to do". Plus if you missed it, there was no way to catch that episode (no VCR, no internet episode viewing, etc.). It was be there or you have to wait for summer repeats.

If the networks realize the potential return on a show when they consider its budget, they would probably not invest in producing something like Dirty Sexy Money (expensive ensemble cast) or Pushing Daisies (expensive FX). So in that respect, I'm glad they're that stupid as these shows never would have gotten made. On the other, had they been more shrewd about their decisions in the current TV/social landscape we'd not be bemoaning their cancellation.
Old 12-04-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
TV has fallen off HARD over the years, and I mean hard. I have dumped more shows this year over any other year and I don't feel sorry about it one bit. Its a good thing IMO because I am doing more with my life, than sitting in front of the TV watching shows I am not really enjoying.
See, I hate reality TV and don't watch a single game show, and my DVR is filled with stuff...so much that it's hard to keep up. In fact, I wasn't watching the Pushing Daisies that had backed up because I had so many other things to watch and I thought the show was in a bit of a rut anyway. Once I heard it was going to get cancelled, I figured why bother.

I'm sorry to see a creative and visually interesting show like PD go, but I've got plenty of other shows to fill the time.
Old 12-04-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
If the networks realize the potential return on a show when they consider its budget, they would probably not invest in producing something like Dirty Sexy Money (expensive ensemble cast) or Pushing Daisies (expensive FX). So in that respect, I'm glad they're that stupid as these shows never would have gotten made. On the other, had they been more shrewd about their decisions in the current TV/social landscape we'd not be bemoaning their cancellation.
I think it's the reality tv programming that is really short sighted. Let me ask you, after a reality show airs, then what? Are you going to buy the DVD of Let's Make a Deal? Are you going to sell episodes of that online?

Are you going to get people interested in shows like that 10 years down the road? Of course not. Yet people buy Seinfeld DVDs. Other shows go into syndication and make money that way. Who is going to Netflix Survivor?

They have gone for the short gain, but left themselves with no long-term return. I never watched Babylon 5 when it aired yet I bought all 5 seasons plus the movie box set because people talked about what a wonderful show it was. The only episodes of Farscape I watched on TV was the finale, and yet I bought 4 seasons of DVDs plus the movie.

When digital distribution becomes cheap and they want to sell shows, what are they going to sell? A show with a 5 year completed story, or 13 episodes and a cliffhanger?
Old 12-04-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Are you going to get people interested in shows like that 10 years down the road? Of course not. Yet people buy Seinfeld DVDs. Other shows go into syndication and make money that way. Who is going to Netflix Survivor?
Truth is people might. However, you need to separate about whom you're talking here. The networks are one thing. The production company is often another. The network only makes money with the advertising they receive for airing the show. All subsequent revenue (e.g. DVD sales, syndication money) go to the company that MADE the show. For instance, the WB makes no money on Buffy DVDs - that goes to FOX who produced the show.

So while I understand your argument, you need to understand that while NBC cancels Scrubs, ABC produces it and just moved it over to its network instead.
Old 12-04-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm curious...do you watch House MD?
Formulaic and repetitive, but the writing and acting make it great. Just like CSI. Nothing wrong with a formula. I expect a lawyer show to be about legal cases.
Old 12-04-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I think it's the reality tv programming that is really short sighted. Let me ask you, after a reality show airs, then what? Are you going to buy the DVD of Let's Make a Deal? Are you going to sell episodes of that online?

They have gone for the short gain, but left themselves with no long-term return. I never watched Babylon 5 when it aired yet I bought all 5 seasons plus the movie box set because people talked about what a wonderful show it was. The only episodes of Farscape I watched on TV was the finale, and yet I bought 4 seasons of DVDs plus the movie.

When digital distribution becomes cheap and they want to sell shows, what are they going to sell? A show with a 5 year completed story, or 13 episodes and a cliffhanger?
I think I own 3 seasons of Survivor, one season of Big Brother and one season of Amazing Race. As much as some reality show naysayers like to say it's only about the outcome and who wins, that's really not true (although I admit it largely has to do with the actual show). To me, that's like saying I'm not going to watch a movie about World War II because I know which side ended up winning. Survivor, for one, is a fun show that actually has a bit of a story wrapped into it, with real human interaction (yes, I realize it's highly edited).

Last edited by clckworang; 12-04-08 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this thread is about to take a dark and ugly turn.
Old 12-04-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I think I own 3 seasons of Survivor, one season of Big Brother and one season of Amazing Race. As much as some reality show naysayers like to say it's only about the outcome and who wins, that's really not true (although I admit it largely has to do with the actual show). To me, that's like saying I'm not going to watch a movie about World War II because I know which side ended up winning. Survivor, for one, is a fun show that actually has a bit of a story wrapped into it, with real human interaction (yes, I realize it's highly edited).
good one!
Old 04-26-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Pushing Daisies Canceled!, also Eli Stone, Dirty Sexy Money

ABC confirms 'Pushing Daisies,' 'Eli Stone,' 'Dirty Sexy Money' summer burnoff
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...r-burnoff.html
Old 04-26-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
ABC confirms 'Pushing Daisies,' 'Eli Stone,' 'Dirty Sexy Money' summer burnoff
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...r-burnoff.html
I think someone already posted that above, but thanks.

I'm just waiting on news that Eli Stone Season 2 might come to DVD...
Old 04-26-09, 08:43 PM
Banned

I just discovered Pushing Daisies this past week and have to say ts one of the most impressive series I have seen on Network TV ever. Just a very easy to watch consistantly enjoyable and impressive funny smart sweet show.
Sad to see it canceled but I can't blame ABC. I have to blame the American audiences who would rather watch procedural crime shows and reality shows in which people wth no talent watch others with no talent.
Old 04-27-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Now they just need to announce a Kings summer burn-off.
Old 04-27-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^ They already did.

The unaired episodes of Pushing Daisies are airing in the UK now... would anyone like to comment on them?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.