Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - "Tower is Tall But Fall is Short" - 10/20/08

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - "Tower is Tall But Fall is Short" - 10/20/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Terminator: TSCC

The episode title is ridiculously long and didn't fit, so I paraphrased a little.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

What would a T-1001 need with a Doctor? Sarah, John and Cameron may soon find out as they track down another name on their list.
Elsewhere, a woman from Derek's past (Stephanie Jacobsen) surprises him in the present.

A side note, the special guest star for this episode Stephanie Jacobsen played Kendra Shaw is Battlestar Galactica: Razor. It's great to see her back on TV again.
Old 10-20-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Just a side note....next week this and Prison Break are airing repeats because of the World Series.
Old 10-20-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not even any talk about this episode yet. Wow!

This show is quickly losing me. The whole time I was watching it, I was thinking I wish I had watched Chuck live instead.

It felt that they wrote in the other female terminator and threw in the elevator fight last minute just to give this episode some much needed action, and then she's beaten so easily.

And what's with the Urinator having to learn how to show feelings about her "daughter"?
Old 10-20-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I liked this episode. Maybe the Urinator is trying to learn some of the subtlties of human nature so they can be programmed into the computer her team is working on, and maybe that will lead to more human robots.

Anyone else notice they didn't show the usual opening sequence with the narrator?

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 10-20-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker

It felt that they wrote in the other female terminator and threw in the elevator fight last minute just to give this episode some much needed action, and then she's beaten so easily.
I didn't think it was a big deal that she was beaten so easily. This show is the first instance the same terminator models are fighting each other. In T2and T3, it was the Arnold Terminator fighting advanced models that are damn hard if not impossible to kill.

I think if you have the same models fighting, it's not hard to believe that one would get the upper hand over another during the course of the fight.
Old 10-20-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what was up with Derek's lady friend? Is she a Terminator or was she somehow brainwashed?

Is she's a Terminator there's hope for John that Cameron is also "anatomically correct"
Old 10-20-08, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
So what was up with Derek's lady friend? Is she a Terminator or was she somehow brainwashed?
I think she's here to take John out. I'm guessing there are pockets within the resistence that don't necessarily like the fact that John is in charge in the future. She admitted as much when she told the story about how John has terminators on every base and how one malfunctioned and killed some of her friends.
Old 10-20-08, 11:58 PM

Is she's a Terminator there's hope for John that Cameron is also "anatomically correct"
If she was a terminator I don't think he would have been able to lift her up against the wall like he did.
Old 10-21-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Terminator that Cameron killed was on the side of the resistance. I think she was going back to kill the therapist because he ends up inadvertently helping SkyNet.
Old 10-21-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I liked tonight's ep. I loved Manson's expanded role and what she did with her daughter, and I liked John's trying to get across to his mom that he's fucked up.

The "Twistanator" fight was pretty funny and D's old squeeze is hot.
Old 10-21-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
I think the Terminator that Cameron killed was on the side of the resistance. I think she was going back to kill the therapist because he ends up inadvertently helping SkyNet.
I could see that but she did kill that bus driver; it could be the other way that the therapist helps John, like Cameron mentions.

Not too shabby an episode and one thing I like about the season is that each storyline is pretty good although Sarah's had been a tad lacking.
Old 10-21-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ckw4b
I think if you have the same models fighting, it's not hard to believe that one would get the upper hand over another during the course of the fight.
I was more curious about how she got her arms and legs over herself. I wonder if the actress is a contortionist or if the scene used plenty of special effects instead.
Old 10-21-08, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I enjoyed tonight's episode.

The fight between Cameron and the Twistanator was quite humorous.

Even though Catherine (Shirley Manson) is an eye sore, I did enjoy the episode giving her some more storyline and giving some hints about the "Real" Catherine Weaver.

It was nice seeing Stephanie Jacobsen. I think if they didn't kill off Kendra Shaw on BSG: Razor she would have made a great addition to that cast. You could hear some bits of her Aussie accent when she was speaking to Derek. I'm intrigued to see where her character goes.
Old 10-21-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was I the only one who thought the asian woman killed in the SUV was Derek's ex or should I just start attending klan meetings now?

The Cameron/Terminator fight was so lame. Maybe the other T was reprogrammed, because I don't think we've ever seen a T on T fight where they both didn't want to attract attention or damage anything.

The urinator stuff was interesting, although I have to wonder why it seems the prototype AI that eventually evolves into skynet/terminators seems to have a better sense of humor than her. This show is still all over the place when it comes to T's imitating human behavior. Regardless, Manson is horrible.
Old 10-21-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mnementh
I was more curious about how she got her arms and legs over herself. I wonder if the actress is a contortionist or if the scene used plenty of special effects instead.
Contortionist Bonnie Morgan. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604507/
Old 10-21-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, I'm sure I'm wrong, but here is something I thought up...

John mentions that the terminator self destructed and he guesses that skynet "doesn't want him reprogramming terminators anymore." So I'm thinking that maybe the whole Shirley Manson plot line is something he setup. That is, he sent her back to begin an operation for the resistance that will create an AI of their own. She needs the FBI guy to find Cromartee so they can copy the terminator design since the terminators were designed by skynet, not humans. This would allow him to create his own skynet of sorts and his own terminators (so he doesn't need to reprogram the ones in the future) before skynet could create it's own.

At the same time, I think your right that Derek's girl is against the resistance, but I'm wondering if it's a powerplay that they don't agree with John or if skynet is doing the opposite of what I mentioned above. It has plenty of terminators, but needs real humans with creativity to help it's cause, so it is trying to turn resistance members.

Overall, I think the series might be adding a twist "making bad good and good bad" by having humans against and terminators for the resistance.

I dunno...probably not, but I'm not totally convinced that Manson is a "bad terminator" since we haven't seen her go after John or Sarah, and hasn't really killed anyone that didn't deserve killing anyway...I mean, she is emotionless and doesn't have "rules" because nobody has given her rules like "you just can't kill people"
Old 10-21-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeeden
ok, I'm sure I'm wrong, but here is something I thought up...

John mentions that the terminator self destructed and he guesses that skynet "doesn't want him reprogramming terminators anymore." So I'm thinking that maybe the whole Shirley Manson plot line is something he setup. That is, he sent her back to begin an operation for the resistance that will create an AI of their own. She needs the FBI guy to find Cromartee so they can copy the terminator design since the terminators were designed by skynet, not humans. This would allow him to create his own skynet of sorts and his own terminators (so he doesn't need to reprogram the ones in the future) before skynet could create it's own.

At the same time, I think your right that Derek's girl is against the resistance, but I'm wondering if it's a powerplay that they don't agree with John or if skynet is doing the opposite of what I mentioned above. It has plenty of terminators, but needs real humans with creativity to help it's cause, so it is trying to turn resistance members.

Overall, I think the series might be adding a twist "making bad good and good bad" by having humans against and terminators for the resistance.

I dunno...probably not, but I'm not totally convinced that Manson is a "bad terminator" since we haven't seen her go after John or Sarah, and hasn't really killed anyone that didn't deserve killing anyway...I mean, she is emotionless and doesn't have "rules" because nobody has given her rules like "you just can't kill people"
Didn't she kill two innocent people? The guy taking a leak (how she got her nickname) didn't do anything did he? And the power plant guy? What did he do wrong?

The twistinator killed 2 innocent people too. From what we know from the movies good terminators don't kill innocent people. They maim and/or take out but they don't kill.
Old 10-21-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
Was I the only one who thought the asian woman killed in the SUV was Derek's ex or should I just start attending klan meetings now?
I did too.

Who was the actor who played the psychologist? I know him from other titles, but I couldn't figure out his name or what I've seen him in.

I liked this show - particuarly because of all the introspection, which I would definitely like to see more of on this series.

My main quibble was yet again we see more people/machines sent back in time. Why not just send EVERYONE back at this point?! I wish they'd just do something so that no one else could come back. It's too easy for the writers if they can send additional heroes/villians back from the future at any point in the series.
Old 10-21-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Whoops. Yeah, I thought the same thing about the woman killed in the SUV. When he met up with her again I kept looking to see if her burn was still there. That confused me a bit.

Did she ever explain why she ran away from Derek initially? I would think that would make him a bit suspicious.
Old 10-21-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Who was the actor who played the psychologist? I know him from other titles, but I couldn't figure out his name or what I've seen him in.
Dorian Harewood

Long resume of parts.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002126/
Old 10-21-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Dorian Harewood

Long resume of parts.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002126/
Yep, he was the voice of Martian Manhunter on "The Batman" series.
Old 10-21-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
My main quibble was yet again we see more people/machines sent back in time. Why not just send EVERYONE back at this point?! I wish they'd just do something so that no one else could come back. It's too easy for the writers if they can send additional heroes/villians back from the future at any point in the series.
I have same feeling... this show is getting silly and I don't know why I bothered to watch it.
Old 10-21-08, 01:31 PM

The twistinator killed 2 innocent people too. From what we know from the movies good terminators don't kill innocent people. They maim and/or take out but they don't kill.
That's not true. Remember in T2, the Arnold Terminator was going to kill the dude who came over to help them after they made a phone call to John's foster parents. Only John's intervention prevented that guy's death.
Old 10-21-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ckw4b
That's not true. Remember in T2, the Arnold Terminator was going to kill the dude who came over to help them after they made a phone call to John's foster parents. Only John's intervention prevented that guy's death.
Yeah you're right. I forgot about that. He didn't kill anybody, nor did he attempt to, in T3 though did he?
Old 10-21-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah you're right. I forgot about that. He didn't kill anybody, nor did he attempt to, in T3 though did he?
John Conner programmed him before the Terminator traveled back in time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.