Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" -- 10/29/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

McCoy continues to steal the spotlight from Matt, who must also cope with his mother. Elsewhere, Tyra sees a new side of Cash and Jason is disappointed by Erin.

Hopefully they are close to wrapping up Street's storyline as well.
Old 10-29-08, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really didn't mind Street's story. Hopefully he can actually make a profit and get the girl back, then ride off into the sunset and just be done with the show with a happy ending.

I kept waiting for something bad to happen with Tyra and Cash (and I'm sure it still will) because of DirecTV's episode description..."Tyra experiences Cash's darker side." I guess we saw him pop some more pills, but it's far from "dark" yet.

The interactions between Matt and Taylor are still the best part of the show. I'd be pissed too if that little pre-pubescent turd came in and took the starting job. What's next, Julie going to fall for him?

Hope the copper deal doesn't somehow come back to bite the Riggins boys in the ass, that's happened way too many times already, would be too predictable.

And is tonight the first time they've shown Landry on the field in uniform this season? I was thinking he didn't play anymore.
Old 10-29-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Matt was starting to get on my nerves, the way he just stands there when his TEAM scores a touchdown (w/J.D.), never even so much clapping, just brooding and pouting. Enough already.

"We've got a lot of copper wire money." Great line. I had no idea wire went for $20K.

Weird to bring Street back into it just to get dumped and see his kid/gal disappear. I, too, hope things turn around and go out on a good note for him.
Old 10-30-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Well they either convert Matt into a WR or else he must come off the bench in the title game to lead them to victory. I say go to the Wildcat!

at those 4 knuckleheads trying to flip a house. Yessir. Anyone can get a home loan.
Old 10-30-08, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
"We've got a lot of copper wire money." Great line. I had no idea wire went for $20K.
Yeah, that seemed high to me...scrap copper prices were above $3.50 a lb. this summer, but I don't think there was more than 5000 lbs. there. Maybe they were selling it as actual wire.
Old 02-13-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" -- 10/29/08

Bumping my thread from October for you NBC viewers since this is airing tonight.
Old 02-13-09, 05:06 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Primed and ready to tune in (season has been great thus far). Thought for a second about which show to watch live, FNL or Dollhouse (but only for a second).
Old 02-14-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Worst. Episode. Ever.

I think I ended up fast-forwarding thru more than I actually watched.

Whenever Street was on the screen = fast-forward
The tattoo situation = fast-forward
Tyra and the cowboy = fast-forward
Emo Matt = fast-forward.

Last edited by dan30oly; 02-14-09 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-14-09, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This like 2 weeks in a row and no Minka Kelly!
Old 02-14-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Whether it makes for interesting TV or not (for the record I didn't mind it), I think in a real life situation Matt would have a right to be pissed. All the crap he's had to put up with in his personal life, and he loses his starting job as a senior to a freshman who hasn't really proved anything.

It would be one thing if he had screwed up or something, but he's done all that Coach Taylor has ever really asked of him, and they've won as a team with him.

And the whole town being behind the move is just not a realistic scenario. Saracen won a state title. He would get a hell of a lot more slack. It would be more realistic if he had gotten hurt; McCoy had come in and played out of his mind, and Saracen lost the job that way. Also, I think the senior leadership on the team itself would have a problem with it, which we haven't seen at all.

By the way, that was the most realistic last second win Dillon has ever had. That one was OK.

Never been a big fan of the Street storyline (even in season 1). Riggins being a sophomore in season 1 makes the Street-Riggins friendship make no sense at all. Where exactly did they meet? They lived on different sides of town, and they wouldn't have been on the same football team growing up.

That having been said, I didn't mind it so much this week. Hopefully, they end his character in a more positive way.
Old 02-14-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, it's obviously been a while because... is that Street's baby? Who the hell was that girl?
Old 02-14-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
And the whole town being behind the move is just not a realistic scenario. Saracen won a state title. He would get a hell of a lot more slack. It would be more realistic if he had gotten hurt; McCoy had come in and played out of his mind, and Saracen lost the job that way. Also, I think the senior leadership on the team itself would have a problem with it, which we haven't seen at all.

Keep in mind, he won State 2 seasons ago. I would think you're as good as you're last game. And don't forget that Daddy McCoy comes with perks. Mainly, Money.
Old 02-14-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Okay, it's obviously been a while because... is that Street's baby? Who the hell was that girl?
In season 2 he goes on a date with this freaky girl from some sort of wheelchair groupie web site, and ends up going home with the waitress after she helps him get out of the date.

She got knocked up, but we didn't really find out what happened to make her decide to keep the baby b/c of the writer's strke cutting the season short.
Old 02-14-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
That girl is the waitress he had a one night stand with... if you recall, he had a date with someone he met online and they went to dinner.. she turned out to having a peeing fetish and while she went to the lady's room, he asked the waitress to help him get rid of her, she hid him in the kitchen and they ended up having a one night stand. In the season finale, she told him she was pregnant and wasn't sure if she wanted to keep the baby... she obviously did... and yes, that is his baby.
Old 02-14-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, okay, I remember that now. Thanks to both of you.
Old 02-14-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Keep in mind, he won State 2 seasons ago. I would think you're as good as you're last game. And don't forget that Daddy McCoy comes with perks. Mainly, Money.
Maybe, but the competition is still an unproven freshman. In the one game Saracen lost, we saw him leave it all out of the field. They didn't lose the game b/c of him (inspite of that last second fumble...that was another FNL special miracle impossible last play). They lost b/c the defense gave up a lot of points. I just think in a real life scenario Saracen would get a lot more benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-16-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

The J.D. / Matt storyline is definitely interesting, but come on, Matt's led the team for 2 1/2 years. J.D. shouldn't even be on the Varsity team as a Freshman. It does make for some good drama for Matt. I think it's unfair to label him 'emo-Matt' since the way it's written, his character has no where to turn and is reacting like a normal high school kid would in that situation.

The tattoo storyline was a bit 'off' especially since Teegarden doesn't even appear to have pierced ears(check the scene on the side of the road with Mrs. T). It made for some great scenes with the Taylor's but it did seem out of place.

I'm not too sure what to think about the Street/Riggins or Tyra/Cash storylines. It's not that they are bad, but this is a small town and in real life everyone isn't going to have a happy ending. The optimist in me obviously wants them all to ride off into the sunset better people, but I'm not sure which person won't be so lucky. In reality, I'd put my money on Tyra following in Mom & big Sis' footsteps. Then again, starting out your business with $20k worth of stolen money has to have some repercussions.
Old 02-16-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok, I thought I was alone in not remembering anything about Street and a baby. I don't think I ever got around to watching the season 2 finale.