True Blood - "Cold Ground" - 10/12/08

Old 10-12-08, 01:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
True Blood - "Cold Ground" - 10/12/08

"Cold Ground"
Spoiler:
Numbed by tragedy, Sookie looks for refuge from the cacophony of her friends and neighbors' inner voices. After lashing out at his sister and decking Andy, Jason wrestles with withdrawal symptoms from his V-juice habit. Tara resists the overtures of her mother, Lettie Mae, who's trying to rid herself of a demon and needs her daughter's help. Sam and Tara make a connection in their mutual search for "something real."
Old 10-12-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thought it was a great episode; the reactions to Sookie calling out the town's thoughts were great. Still think the killer is someone less obvious but has been seen.
Old 10-12-08, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really enjoying this show. I like that it's taking the time to develop the characters and seems to be following the book pretty closely.
Old 10-12-08, 09:54 PM
Banned

Very good episode. I'm glad I started watching this early on (2nd episode). Had never heard of the book.
Old 10-12-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Loved this episode and this show. Love the way Bill says Sookie's name. Love how it always ends on a cliffhanger with a wtf moment. Next week can't get here fast enough.
Old 10-12-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved the fact that we (mainly I) got to finally see Anna Paquin's boobs.
Old 10-13-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what does this mean for Sookie? The exchange of fluid is what seemed to turn Bill into a vamp in the last episode. What are the rules for turning people? Are we just not supposed to know yet? Will that be revealed next week?

Also, I still don't think the one who killed Adele is the same one who killed the first two. The first two were strangled, Adele was slaughtered.
Old 10-13-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
So what does this mean for Sookie? The exchange of fluid is what seemed to turn Bill into a vamp in the last episode. What are the rules for turning people? Are we just not supposed to know yet? Will that be revealed next week?
Each vampire mythology is unique, but as a general rule just getting bitten by a vampire isn't enough to turn someone. Unlike a werewolf.

In most cases, there has to be an exchange of blood. Vampire bites person and drinks from them. Vampire opens up a vein and lets the person drink from them. Person becomes one of the undead. That's the way it works in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (which TB and Harris' vampire novels seem to borrow liberally from), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and most versions of Dracula.
Old 10-13-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Exactly, a scene or so earlier I was thinking "Nice side boob, shame that's the best we'll get." Then BAM!
Old 10-13-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
A friend of mine called just to tell me this. I need some screen caps!
Old 10-13-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Still loving the show. Love the character progression, although I was sad to see grandma die. I thought she was a great character.
Old 10-13-08, 08:59 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Well good thing I Tivo'ed this one. Damn Dexter made me miss boobs...I think I need to reconsider my priorities.
Old 10-13-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great tits...er, I mean episode. Really liked Sookie at the Funeral and definitely wonder what is up with that weird Uncle type guy.

I think in the True Blood world, to become a vampire, you have to be drinking their blood AT THE SAME TIME they are drinking yours - otherwise Sookie would be turned now, because she's fed off Bill and vice versa.
Old 10-13-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this was kind of a boring episode, to be honest. I just don't know these characters well enough to be affected by this kind of episode.
Old 10-13-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I think in the True Blood world, to become a vampire, you have to be drinking their blood AT THE SAME TIME they are drinking yours - otherwise Sookie would be turned now, because she's fed off Bill and vice versa.
i was wondering this as well - bill did say that following sookie's beating at the hand of the ratrays she had drunk much of his blood.
Old 10-13-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
I assume you have to be bitten first, then drink.
Old 10-13-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still am not convinced this is a "great" show, but I find myself wanting to watch this as soon as it airs, which is a good sign. This show never sits on my DVR for very long.

I think it is interesting that in the pilot,. I thought Tara was a horrible, stereotypical character, but they have really developed her into one of the most interesting characters on the show.

Anna Paquin is lovely but HD is not kind to her skin.
Old 10-13-08, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I still am not convinced this is a "great" show, but I find myself wanting to watch this as soon as it airs, which is a good sign. This show never sits on my DVR for very long.
Don't worry, it's not a great show. It's a bad show that has been helped by the two most recent episodes that were decent bordering on good. Still, all the episodes previous to the last two were atrocious. I like the fact that the characters are finally being written smartly as opposed to being written to be idiots. But, at the same time a lot of the writing and interactions are too heavy handed and clunky to be any good. They've done a good job with the mystery, I'll give them that. If they keep their current streak going for awhile this will end up being a half decent series as opposed to the train wreck it's been so far.
Old 10-13-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
That's how I judge whether I like a show, if I want to watch it immediately. This one I started watching during its recording time. I like the characters, I like the setting, and I like vampires. Perhaps that is affecting my judgment of the show, but I don't care. I simply enjoy watching it.
Old 10-13-08, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
A friend of mine called just to tell me this. I need some screen caps!
Egotastic
Old 10-13-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Ending was bloody hot - Another great episode!

Tara walking Sookie to her room:
"We just need a little girl time...Come on Lafayette."
Originally Posted by gmanca
Thought it was a great episode; the reactions to Sookie calling out the town's thoughts were great.
Great lesson: If you're ever stumped with how to conclude your eulogy, just tell the townsfolk to shut the fukk up.

The writers continue to drop hints on Sam's possible alter ego / identity: "...this is neither the time nor the place to mark your territory!" How soon will we be watching a battle between vampire and canine?
Old 10-13-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Not sure if this had been posted yet.

The show is based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries series of novels by Charlaine Harris, and a second season of the show has been commissioned, and is scheduled to air in summer 2009.

I like the show a lot.
Old 10-14-08, 12:12 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
Not as good as last week, but still decent. I agree it's not great, but I couldn't wait to get home tonight and watch my recording of it.
Old 10-14-08, 07:34 AM

Um, is anyone completely annoyed with Tara and the actresses overly done, fake, Southern accent? She's totally not from down south and I can stand the sound of her voice!
Old 10-14-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I actually really like the way she says stuff...I find it hilarious.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.