Reload this Page >

Life on Mars -- Series Premiere -- "Out Here in the Fields" -- 10/9/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life on Mars -- Series Premiere -- "Out Here in the Fields" -- 10/9/08

Old 10-10-08, 09:22 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting show and premise. I haven't seen the UK version so have no biases

I love the feel of the 70s cops where they could dish out a bit of their own justice and not have the ridiculous laws of today which protect the criminals way too much.

I would have had no problem killing the kid.

I'll give it a few more eps, see how it develops

Good cast
Old 10-10-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harvey Keitel is way too old for this role.
Old 10-11-08, 12:25 AM
Suspended

Not bad.

Was the part with Sam talking about walking until he came to the end of the yellow brick road in the original? Or was that a nod to Gretchen Mol's role in The Thirteenth Floor?

I haven't seen the UK version since it was first on BBC America, so I can't remember.
Old 10-11-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Not much to add, except to say that as a fan of the UK show (and a fan of the US cast), I thought this was a real piece of shit - I mean practically unwatchable. It felt like TV for the retarded.
Old 10-11-08, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
I actually really liked it. I saw some of the British version and saw alot of similarities. I thought O'Mara was really good as Tyler. But, I have to agree that Keitel is way too old to play the Lieutenant. The guy turns 70 next year!! That's way way past retirement age for a Cop.

I did notice that this incarnation was from the Producers of October Road. I never watched the show, but I thought it was odd that ABC went with those Producers instead of David E. Kelley.

This show must cost a fortune to produce with the costumes, sets and the retro music and being shot on location in NYC. Hopefully the ratings don't drop.

And I also really liked Gretchen Mol. She looked really cute with the 70's haircut and the uniform.

I will tune in next week.

Question to those who saw the leaked early pilot. Were all the supporting characters re-casted?

Last edited by DJariya; 10-11-08 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-11-08, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He doesn't seem to actually be in 1973. The experience is happening somewhere in his mind while he's lying on a hospital bed in 2008. Great shot of the World Trade Center, though, to establish his place in time. Had a feeling that might come into play somehow.

Jason O'Mara reminds me of a younger Mel Gibson. Especially when he got a little crazy with the guy running from the apartment. A very Riggs-like moment.

Overall, pretty good. I'd like to see where it goes.

--THX
Old 10-11-08, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
This show must cost a fortune to produce with the costumes, sets and the retro music and being shot on location in NYC.
Imagine the editing that might be done to the DVD set. Unless they can get the rights to the songs they use.

--THX
Old 10-11-08, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Imagine the editing that might be done to the DVD set. Unless they can get the rights to the songs they use.

--THX
The amount of music they used in that episode was equivalent to an episode of Cold Case if not more. And Cold Case is already 6 seasons in with no DVD release because of the music.
Old 10-11-08, 06:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I remember, the entire supporting cast was recast and some scenes from the leaked pilot were different.
Old 10-11-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Based on Layer Cake alone, I really felt like Colm Meany could have brought the weight the role of Gene deserved. I never saw the original pilot, but I really think it would have been better if he had of been kept in addition to O'Mara.
Old 10-11-08, 12:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
didn't think it was to bad. the music was great! i'll give it another go.
Old 10-11-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I was surprised that diet coke did not come out until 1982. Reminded me a little of Back to the Future and Tab.
Old 10-11-08, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Color me surprised! I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Having seen the original, my few complaints and/or observations:

- Harvey is no Philip Glenister.
- Ray is less of an ass. Doesn't suit the character.
- Chris is about the same, but perhaps a little more confident.
- Felt a little less gritty, but not in a good way.
- I really enjoyed the chemistry between GM and JoM. I think that is actually more pronounced than in the original. In fact, I always thought it was one of the weaker points of the original.

Lastly, it has been two years, but I could have sworn that there was a scene in the original pilot with him on a roof and the camera swinging around playing the Bowie song again.
Spoiler:
This was pretty important since it ended up bookending the series in a sense. Was it in the second or third episode?
That happened in the final episode!!
Spoiler:
Right when he took the swan dive
Old 10-11-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brookzy
That happened in the final episode!!
Spoiler:
Right when he took the swan dive
I know, but I could have swore it was in an early episode as well. I'll have to see what I can dig up.
Old 10-11-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't find the clip, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I was beginning to think it was episode 2 of the original, but:

Spoiler:
Sam is ready to wake up and so stands atop a tall building, thinking that when he hits the floor he will wake up in the future. Annie stops him, telling him that the "doctor" was really an ex-boyfriend of hers playing a cruel joke. Sam is left none the wiser as to whether what's happening to him is real or just a crazy dream. Annie convinces him to stay — at least for the time being — in 1973.
Pretty sure when he's standing on the building it does that camera pan with the music play. Who knows, maybe I'm just mixing up that scene from the final episode with the part in the first episode with the music playing in the car. If anybody has the R2 dvds and could check I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-11-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BlooQKazoo
Just finished watching this, and liked it quite a bit. I didn't even know this was based on a British show until I read the comments here, so can't compare it to the original. I didn't think it was anything groundbreaking by any means, but did enough to keep me watching to see where it goes from here.
With the exception of one or two from the original I don't think any of the episodes were groundbreaking. However, as a whole the way the story was handled is what made it groundbreaking. Heck, every time I try to figure out the finale my head hurts. It's probably one of the top five finales I've seen.
Old 10-11-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I love how britshow fanboys are saying that Harvey Keitel 'cant compare to (some nobody actor from the BBC show)'

Harvey Keitel

HARVEY KEITEL

HARVEY FUCKING KEITEL!

Are we joking here

Mr Fucking White vs. the guy from Masterpiece Theater presents Cranford??

DVDTalk has reached the absurd
Old 10-11-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Old 10-11-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts
I can't find the clip, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I was beginning to think it was episode 2 of the original, but:

Spoiler:

Pretty sure when he's standing on the building it does that camera pan with the music play. Who knows, maybe I'm just mixing up that scene from the final episode with the part in the first episode with the music playing in the car. If anybody has the R2 dvds and could check I'd appreciate it.

Spoiler:
I checked my R2 set, and you are mixing it up. There is just some generic background music, and the camera does not do the pan you're thinking of at this point.
Old 10-11-08, 11:34 PM

With the exception of one or two from the original I don't think any of the episodes were groundbreaking. However, as a whole the way the story was handled is what made it groundbreaking. Heck, every time I try to figure out the finale my head hurts. It's probably one of the top five finales I've seen.
Definitely.
Old 10-12-08, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I love how britshow fanboys are saying that Harvey Keitel 'cant compare to (some nobody actor from the BBC show)'

Harvey Keitel

HARVEY KEITEL

HARVEY FUCKING KEITEL!

Are we joking here

Mr Fucking White vs. the guy from Masterpiece Theater presents Cranford??

DVDTalk has reached the absurd
It might be absurd but it's completely true. Kietel is WAY TOO OLD for this part. I've only seen the first two episodes of the UK version but that character made an immediate impression. He was a middle aged bruiser, not a tough talking geriatric. A good chunk of his manly man act is physical intimidation. That physical presence is impossible to pull off when the actor is 70 years old, a foot shorter and 80lb lighter than the lead.
Old 10-12-08, 06:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Thought it was quite good. I liked the original, but thought it had its fair share of problems. It'll be interesting to see if those carry over to the American version or not.
Old 10-12-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ron G
Was the part with Sam talking about walking until he came to the end of the yellow brick road in the original? Or was that a nod to Gretchen Mol's role in The Thirteenth Floor?
I had exactly the same thought. He also mentions how if this is all happening in his mind there sure is a lot of detail and the camera then does a 360. Both of these scenes (and Gretchen Mol's presence) had me thinking 13th Floor. (BTW, excellent movie and very underrated IMO.)
Old 10-12-08, 07:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flave
I had exactly the same thought. He also mentions how if this is all happening in his mind there sure is a lot of detail and the camera then does a 360. Both of these scenes (and Gretchen Mol's presence) had me thinking 13th Floor. (BTW, excellent movie and very underrated IMO.)
I think The Matrix killed it, quite frankly.

But the idea of him walking to the end of the illusion definitely made me think of The Thirteenth Floor.

I'm wondering when the US version will start swerving from the UK version, and what direction those swerves will take. Next week's episode looks like another UK plot rehash.
Old 10-13-08, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Watched it. Only familiar with the original UK series as far as the premise goes.

Despite hating cop shows, I found myself enjoying it. Feels a lot like a Philip K Dick story.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.