Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life on Mars -- Series Premiere -- "Out Here in the Fields" -- 10/9/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
I liked it a lot. But then I'm a total sucker for time travel.

I never saw the British show and didn't even know it existed.
I'll be tuning in next week, too.

Never saw the original either.
Old 10-09-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is like the first office thread

People who saw British show - 'meh'

People who never saw the British show - ' I liked it!'
Old 10-09-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
Tried it out but lost all interest after about 30 minutes
Yeah, I made it far as 45 minutes. The opening was great though and it was cool to see the twin towers. I'll try to watch again next week.
Old 10-09-08, 11:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Nothing special, imo. I will continue to tune in next week though.
Old 10-09-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I really liked it
a show set in... the year that I was born!
It's set in the year I got married.
Old 10-09-08, 11:24 PM

I haven't seen the original, nor did I bare witness to the original pilot that was supposedly horrid. With that being the case I greatly enjoyed this episode. I like the premise, I thought the acting was minimalist, and that fits with the time period, it looked great from a setting standpoint, and the story played out nicely. Still, over time I can see how the setting and premise can possibly get in the way of good storytelling.
Old 10-09-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is like the first office thread

People who saw British show - 'meh'

People who never saw the British show - ' I liked it!'
As I mentioned above, I'm a big fan of the original BBC version, and I thought tonight's pilot was pretty good actually. Seemed a bit rushed, I guess because they fit a 60-minute show into 42-ish minutes. Hopefully we get more interaction between Sam and Gene in the coming episodes, which was always the best part of the original.

2) a detective drama removed from the 'lets take a dna sample off the mirror that reflected the killers image' convention of todays cop shows
I think that's what drew me to the show in the first place--actual cops doing actual police work. I find pretty much any modern day cop show way too dependent on passing off special effects as "forensics".

Good use of the WTC in the scene where Sam arrives in 1973. Thought that was well-done without having them dwell over it.

It'll be tough not to compare it to the original, but I'll have to do my best to accept it as its own show going forward. Hope it's worth the time.
Old 10-10-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone tell me if the SD version aired in Widescreen or in 4:3? I am having problems with my locals through DTV.
Old 10-10-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the first half hour. Very uninteresting. I was hoping for more action.

Oh well...I guess the wait for 24 continues.

= J
Old 10-10-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung
As I mentioned above, I'm a big fan of the original BBC version, and I thought tonight's pilot was pretty good actually. Seemed a bit rushed, I guess because they fit a 60-minute show into 42-ish minutes. Hopefully we get more interaction between Sam and Gene in the coming episodes, which was always the best part of the original.

I think that's what drew me to the show in the first place--actual cops doing actual police work. I find pretty much any modern day cop show way too dependent on passing off special effects as "forensics".

Good use of the WTC in the scene where Sam arrives in 1973. Thought that was well-done without having them dwell over it.

It'll be tough not to compare it to the original, but I'll have to do my best to accept it as its own show going forward. Hope it's worth the time.

I agree completely. The hardest part for me is imagining anybody else, even a Harvey Keitel, as Gene Hunt from the original - probabaly one of the best television characters of the last decade.

They did a nice job recreating 1973 NYC.

I wonder if they will use all the episodes/plots from the original? Obviously, they'll have to come up with many of their own ideas.
Old 10-10-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I have never seen the original (I know I have the DVD's somewhere...), but this one was pretty awesome. The level of detail is staggering, that is a very nice touch. Harvey Kitel was a great casting choice...and Gretchen Mol was too, but there is something off about her. Either way, i will be watching this week to week.

Last thing, Lisa Bonet is still hot...who knew?
Old 10-10-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the credits didn't tip me onto the fact that this was from the same creative team as OCTOBER ROAD, the writing sure would have... was not impressed at all and the October Road like dialogue, with made up sayings and too cool for school type bullshit, I found it to be pretty grating. (not to mention the hero reveal style shot of the WTC - too much).

It does have a great cast though, so maybe I'll give it another shot, but I hate the way these fucking guys write dialogue - so unrealistic...and having a shout out to their own canceled TV show (seriously, October Road is one of the shittiest shows in recent memory) with the 'Cataldo' sign was just another annoying/cutesy/bullshit thing that I wasn't digging...

It made me want to shoot the creators...IN THE DICK.
Old 10-10-08, 09:05 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really enjoyed it. The cast and setup worked for me. I hope they flesh out the other cop characters a bit as it goes along... they all sort of blend together in one big 'hard as nails male chauvinist' blur. If the big two weren't played by recognizable actors I probably wouldn't be able to remember who's who.

Oh, and two Hall & Oates shout-outs in primetime last night? I was starting to think *I* had went back in time!
Old 10-10-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm going to try and watch it tonight.

Did they keep the spinning Bowie montage?
Old 10-10-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see the British show is coming out on blu-ray in the UK on October 27. Anyone know if it will be coded only for Region B or if it will be region free?
Old 10-10-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I agree completely. The hardest part for me is imagining anybody else, even a Harvey Keitel, as Gene Hunt from the original - probabaly one of the best television characters of the last decade.
Yeah I'm a huge Gene Hunt fan--he alone makes the relatively average Ashes to Ashes worth watching. I'm still not sure on Keitel, especially with the age factor. I'm having trouble picturing him being capable of "kicking in a nonce" as the original Hunt was. Glenister was only in his early 40s when the series was shot.

They did a nice job recreating 1973 NYC.
Yeah I'll have to ask my dad, who in 1973 was living in Hoboken and working... in the World Trade Center.

I wonder if they will use all the episodes/plots from the original? Obviously, they'll have to come up with many of their own ideas.
Based on the preview, it did seem to reuse a few plot pieces from the first series. I'm guessing it'll be much like The Office, where the pilot is almost identical, and then the first season uses similar plots before becoming its own show if it becomes successful.
Old 10-10-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm glad they revamped the show from the original US pilot. It's much better. Too bad they didn't keep the cool Firebird convertible he had in it.
Old 10-10-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Thought is was great. I think when he "went back" in time they should've taken away HD and put it back in SD.

As for the show, it's got quite a bit of potential. Fantastic cast. I had no idea Clarke Peters was in this. Wondering if they'll flash forward at all and use him more.
Old 10-10-08, 01:05 PM
Banned

Didn't care for it. The direction was amateurish and the acting off. All of the slow-motion was intended to give things a sort of dream-like quality but it just made everything lethargic and slow-moving. Very little of the dialogue rang true. It's too polished looking and it'll get old really fast if they just throw in a bunch of classic rock songs every episode.

And ending with a shot of the WTC...

Last edited by MaxMFP; 10-10-08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-10-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Color me surprised! I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Having seen the original, my few complaints and/or observations:

- Harvey is no Philip Glenister.
- Ray is less of an ass. Doesn't suit the character.
- Chris is about the same, but perhaps a little more confident.
- Felt a little less gritty, but not in a good way.
- I really enjoyed the chemistry between GM and JoM. I think that is actually more pronounced than in the original. In fact, I always thought it was one of the weaker points of the original.

Lastly, it has been two years, but I could have sworn that there was a scene in the original pilot with him on a roof and the camera swinging around playing the Bowie song again.
Spoiler:
This was pretty important since it ended up bookending the series in a sense. Was it in the second or third episode?

Last edited by Superman07; 10-10-08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-10-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
- I really enjoyed the chemistry between GM and JoM.
++++

She looks great in uniform, too.
Old 10-10-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMFP
Didn't care for it. The direction was amateurish and the acting off. All of the slow-motion was intended to give things a sort of dream-like quality but it just made everything lethargic and slow-moving. Very little of the dialogue rang true. It's too polished looking and it'll get old really fast if they just throw in a bunch of classic rock songs every episode.

And ending with a shot of the WTC...
Amateurish directing? This isn't a Youtube video. What were you expecting Francis Ford Coppola or David Lynch?
Old 10-10-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
< Never saw the original so I guess this version will be easier for me to like.

Anyway, I just watched it online and I liked it a lot. Bonet and Mol are both hot...Imperioli looks totally cool in his 70's hair and mustache, and Kietel is a riot.

That said, I'm getting a "Journeyman" vibe here. And by that I mean this is a good show that may not last long due to hard to please viewers like some of the posters in this thread, and "bottom line only" ABC execs.

But let's hope I'm wrong....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-10-08 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-10-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
well, it retained 80% of Grey's Anatomy's viewers and was pretty strong, so it'll be around for at least this season. Provided it keeps this timeslot.
Old 10-10-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked it

1) a sci/fi fantasy show where the sci/fi elements is in the background, not overburdening it
2) a detective drama removed from the 'lets take a dna sample off the mirror that reflected the killers image' convention of todays cop shows
3) a show set in the city and year that I was born!
4) great cast
When I watched the British version I was actually hoping for more of a Sci Fi Slant.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.