Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles -- "Goodbye to All That" -- 10/6/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't care for the kid subplot or all the Truck commericals every 10 minutes.
Hate the Toilet Terminator too. She is a horrible actress. She should stick to singing.
All and all a pretty good episode but anything is better than last weeks.
I read it was dead last in it's time period again last night.

Last edited by riley_dude; 10-07-08 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
I just watched it on Hulu and it was also only Dodge commercials. Seems to me it was one of those "limited commercial interruptions brought to you by Dodge" type of episodes. 1 hour TV shows are 44 minutes and change, rest being commercials. This episode ran 52 minutes. Dodge pays more to be the only commercials and they can make more money on less commercial time.
Yep, it was a promotional thing with Dodge. They said it before the show started, and of course the same model Dodge truck was featured throughout the show.
Old 10-07-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts
A much better episode in my opinion. The kidnapped kid watching his parents crying and begging for him to contact them and then wandering away for a few and then complaining about a book report he had to write was just mind boggling stupid.

I'd like to tip my hat to Dodge. The number of commercials was actually less than other weeks and they kept it to single 60 second spots.

I still don't understand why terminators walk slowly towards their targets until the target runs.. then they run. You'd think they'd go full speed once they recognize their target.

Overall though this was better.
Old 10-07-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Didn't care for the kid subplot or all the Truck commericals every 10 minutes.
Hate the Toilet Terminator too. She is a horrible actress. She should stick to singing.
All and all a pretty good episode but anything is better than last weeks.
I read it was dead last in it's time period again last night.
But but but this is character developmeeeeeent. It may not be the best, but it's there. They're just trying to show a more human side of Sarah. It's hard to be Sarah Mom, Sarah Warrior, Sarah Protector, but she's tryin'. Just like "Emo" John is tryin' to cope with all this shit in his life. Shit, if they had nothing "BOOM, Monster, BOOM" each week then you guys would be bitching about no development of the characters.

Great ep.

As far as Toilet Terminator, I'm totally obsessing over what the fuck her role is. I mean we know she's trying to get the plant online, but her interest in the other Terminator occurrences is truly mind boggling. Again I'll ask, is she a rogue Terminator? Does this mean there's a triangle with the Conners, Terminators, and Toilet Bot?

That Beddell cat was cool, I think it'd be nice to see him in more eps...assuming the haters don't leave in droves and get this show canceled.

I also think an alternative reality where John goes APE SHIT CRAZY from knowing all this future shit would be interesting. I mean come on, knowing who's gonna die and when has got fuck with a guy's brain at some point.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-07-08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
This week's episode actually gained 280K viewers (5.6M total) and nearly overtook Chuck (5.89M) for 3rd place. I guess that's a good sign.
Old 10-07-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All and all a pretty go
No, she shouldn't. She's horrible at that, too.
Old 10-07-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Unfortunately, we'll probably never see another Garbage album no matter how short her stint on the show is.
Old 10-07-08, 06:26 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
This week's episode actually gained 280K viewers (5.6M total) and nearly overtook Chuck (5.89M) for 3rd place. I guess that's a good sign.

This show and Chuck surely are vying for pretty much the same audience. Both are action based sci fi shows with a hot babe as one of the main characters
Old 10-07-08, 06:37 PM

Good show and all. But here is a nitpick.

Since when can you find a young boy and a Military school cadet in a phone book? It was one of those moments for me.

I was entertained nonetheless. Like the preview for next week.
Old 10-07-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
nice Barrett 82A1 action
Old 10-07-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 955 Likes on 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But but but this is character developmeeeeeent. It may not be the best, but it's there. They're just trying to show a more human side of Sarah. It's hard to be Sarah Mom, Sarah Warrior, Sarah Protector, but she's tryin'. Just like "Emo" John is tryin' to cope with all this shit in his life. Shit, if they had nothing "BOOM, Monster, BOOM" each week then you guys would be bitching about no development of the characters.

Great ep.
I totally agree. I generally don't like softy Sarah or Emo John but honestly they were such one dimensional characters in the movies and it worked because they were only 2 hour movies. I'm not sure if they are doing the best thing for character development but I think they convey their struggle with preventing the future and trying to be decent humans and living with their choices in the present.
Old 10-08-08, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Really good episode. There was some good action and I liked the storyline involving Bedell and his impact on the future.

It was also really cool that this episode had very limited commercials like Fringe. The product placement wasn't even annoying it all with the truck.

Nice to see Jonathan Jackson again as Kyle. I mentioned last season when he was on the show that he actually somewhat resembles a younger Michael Biehn.

I have to agree that Shirley Manson is such an eye sore.
Old 10-08-08, 06:21 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
The other thing motivating Sarah is the fact of her impending death by cancer. She has spent John's entire life in survival mode that she has missed the whole "be a regular mom" experience. I personally think in this episode, she was "slowing down" to smell the roses, so to speak. My wife and I appreciated it.

As far as the kid panicking about his book report... The kid realizes that a robot tried to kill him, he knows if he goes back to his parents before Cameron has taken care of it, they will remain in danger, so he focuses on the one thing he has a little control over - his fourth grade book report. I didn't think that was too far off, as a former fourth grade teacher.
Old 10-08-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
I only have a few minor complaints. Once again, T2 Sarah would kick this Sarah's ass. THAT Sarah wouldn't give two shits about the other potential targets. Also, wouldn't the Terminator have already killed the kid's parents and waited for contact, a la EVERY OTHER TERMINATOR we've seen?
But did Sarah ever figure out that she was protecting the wrong Bedell until almost the end? Why would the Terminator kill the parents? What is the honey there to attract the kid back home if they're dead?

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Question: Bad sign that the only commercials were from Dodge? Think the show knows it's run is almost over and had to squeeze a season's-worth of Dodge ads?
I just watched it on Hulu and it was also only Dodge commercials. Seems to me it was one of those "limited commercial interruptions brought to you by Dodge" type of episodes. 1 hour TV shows are 44 minutes and change, rest being commercials. This episode ran 52 minutes. Dodge pays more to be the only commercials and they can make more money on less commercial time.
Ding, ding, ding! The commerical breaks were extremely shorter than normal commericals. FOX also didn't have to worry about multiple slots since one advertiser filled every break - which allows them to show longer episodes. Seems like a good idea to me if it works here and on Fringe. Frankly I like Fringe where they tell you how many seconds (for the TiVo 30 second skip!).

Yeah. Shirley Manson's pretty awful. Too bad they can't just morph her into a representation that is a better actress and dump her.
Old 10-08-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
But did Sarah ever figure out that she was protecting the wrong Bedell until almost the end? Why would the Terminator kill the parents? What is the honey there to attract the kid back home if they're dead?
To answer the first question, she knew the whole time that it was the wrong Bedell. I think the questioning about how many Sarah Connors got killed because of her made her want to protect the other Bedell.

All of the targetting of people in the past makes me think "Why do all these resistance fighters use their real names in the future? Once Judgement Day hit, everyone should take on an assumed name.
Old 10-08-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan

They knew even before they went to pick up the kid that it wasn't him. John figured out from the scribbles on the wall that the one they were looking for was at the military academy.
Old 10-08-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Plus, Cameron said the Terminators are thorough and that it would go after all Bedells; and she would've done the same if it was her mission.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-08-08 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-09-08, 10:48 AM

I thought it was a great episode. I think derrick reese in a great idea for a character. two questions:

When derrick says we all die for you, does that mean they would or they actually did?

Do you think the producers of the show know the plot of the new terminator movie and are they trying to stay consistent with story, unlike Terminator 4?
Old 10-09-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I took it to mean that John inspires that kind of loyalty in people but I could be wrong.
Old 10-09-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice.

Did anyone else catch the reference to Baum? At the military academy, both Derek and John's names were "Baum", I'm assuming an homage to L. Frank Baum, the original author of the Wizard of Oz novels.
Old 10-09-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most people don't even know the Wizard of Oz is a book
Old 10-10-08, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Most people don't even know the Wizard of Oz is a book
It's not but The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is.
Old 10-10-08, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
Nice.

Did anyone else catch the reference to Baum? At the military academy, both Derek and John's names were "Baum", I'm assuming an homage to L. Frank Baum, the original author of the Wizard of Oz novels.
That's been their fake last name since season one when John started at his new school.
Old 10-10-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
I only have a few minor complaints. Once again, T2 Sarah would kick this Sarah's ass. THAT Sarah wouldn't give two shits about the other potential targets. Also, wouldn't the Terminator have already killed the kid's parents and waited for contact, a la EVERY OTHER TERMINATOR we've seen?
-Doc
I disagree. Its obvious that even the T2 Sarah softened during the course of the movie - she refused to kill Dyson - and there is no reason to think that she would revert back to completly psycho Sarah if time progressed.

The character has progressed even in the show - wondering if certain people should die/live and I believe they the writers are doing a good job of trying to show that she is trying to live life a bit..i.e. sitting with the pregnant neighbor for no reason except to comfort her.

Also, killing the other parents by the Terminator - the show made an explicit reference to the parents being accompanied by FBI agents..making it hard to dupe the kid into believing he was their parents...and furthermore there were 2 individuals - what do you think the point would be to kill TWO people and try to pretend the Terminator was both?

Last edited by chanster; 10-10-08 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Pretty good ep and glad to see previews for the next--it's not gone yet!

Didn't like the kid-plot but otherwise good stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.