Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Unit -- "Sudden Flight" -- 10/5/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In an effort to identify the terrorists behind the Vice President’s assassination, Jonas, Bob & Grey pose as regular passengers on a foreign commercial flight to follow a nuclear scientist whom they believe is the next target of the terrorists.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-05-08 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-05-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
NOTE: If you record this (or anything on CBS tonight), the football game is running over and you will need to pad (as usual).

Edit: 0:30 overrun on East Coast. 60 Minutes started at 7:30 PM, plan accordingly.

Last edited by OldDude; 10-05-08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is one show I'll be watching live each week unless they have it at CBS.com.

If so, I'll probably just try to stream it each week.
Old 10-05-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On my affiliate, the football stopped at 7:26 Eastern. 60 Minutes started at 7:30 Eastern. I hope this helps someone.
Old 10-05-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
We'll catch it on Veoh or Netflix...
Old 10-05-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by N2DVD
We'll catch it on Veoh or Netflix...
It gets posted on CBS.com within the week if you can't watch it or record it tonight
Old 10-05-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad I took the time to figure out the delay. Quality episode. Love Mack telling Col. Ryan to press the maintenance worker because he's lying and then telling the Col. that everybody's lying.
Old 10-06-08, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought this was a really good episode.

It had some elements of Executive Decision and Passenger 57 in it. The scenes in the plane with Jonas, Bob and Mr. Grey were really well executed.

I also really enjoyed the cover storyline with Kim, Molly and Tiffy adjusting to their new lives. I also really like the female member of The Unit. The undercover neighbor to Tiffy actually quite surprised.

The show is really hitting it's stride now.
Old 10-06-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Another excellent episode. I was hoping for a little more progress on the Mac/Ryan storyline, but now that he's gotten over the grab-the-gun impulse Mac seems to be plotting his course more slowly (but I'm confident it will be good).

I also liked when Bob shot the bad pilot, barely even looking.
Old 10-06-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gaah... Power was out all night. Missed everything. Thank the gods for the internet.
Old 10-06-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
god please kill the families now
Old 10-06-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
While the wives thing is still the most irritating thing about the show, the actual action plot, a plane hijacking, was awesome. These shows are like mini-movies!

Just get the cr*p with Mac and Tiffany over with, pul-eeze!

BTW, CBS and Veoh both had the show online today.
Old 10-06-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved the part at end where Jonas asks: "Anyone know how to fly a 767?" no one raises his hand then he asks "Who wants to try to fly a 767?" and Bob raises his hand. Then cut to all of them safely back with the Colonel. I love how Mamet skips over things you've already seen in other movies. He did this in Redbelt too.
Old 10-06-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You just highlighted the question in my mind whenever I watch this show: how much is Ryan? How much is Mamet?
Old 10-07-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I loved the part at end where Jonas asks: "Anyone know how to fly a 767?" no one raises his hand then he asks "Who wants to try to fly a 767?" and Bob raises his hand. Then cut to all of them safely back with the Colonel. I love how Mamet skips over things you've already seen in other movies. He did this in Redbelt too.
Well, we know that Bob is a pilot too. It's not that different as long as he had someone to talk to that could help him with procedures, flap settings, glide slopes, etc. He could get it on the ground pretty easily. I'm glad they skipped it too.

I did love the excited look on his face when he raised his hand to fly.

As for the wives...if we have to put up with the story lines to keep the show, then I'm ok with it...I was surprised at the old lady and the groundskeeper being with the unit. I figured they really were some of the bad guys when they grabbed Tiffy. It's nice to see someone really got the message through to her though. I couldn't believe that she would put her kids in danger just to keep fighting with Mac. Then again, I guess there are lots of real people out there who can't put their kids first.
Old 10-07-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeeden
As for the wives...if we have to put up with the story lines to keep the show, then I'm ok with it...I was surprised at the old lady and the groundskeeper being with the unit. I figured they really were some of the bad guys when they grabbed Tiffy. It's nice to see someone really got the message through to her though. I couldn't believe that she would put her kids in danger just to keep fighting with Mac. Then again, I guess there are lots of real people out there who can't put their kids first.
Just saw the ep (darn you NFL; thank you CBS.com). I thought the undercovers, for lack of a better term, weren't really miffed about the fight between Tiffy & Mac but more miffed that Tiffy let it slip the army base comment slip during the fight with the brat. You can see the groundskeeper in the background look up when Tiffy makes that statement. Yeah the fighting has to be taken down a notch but that can be solved with thicker walls: it's more important to keep the kid in line.
Old 10-07-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
don't most modern commercial aircraft have automatic landing systems now?
Old 10-08-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Maybe.

I'd be a bit paranoid they booby trapped it, though.
Old 10-08-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
The 767 autopilot does indeed have an autoland mode but there are many things you need to do in the cockpit to set it up properly; might be easier to just fly it in yourself if you don't know what you're doing. Also, because even the slightest error can really ruin your day when autolanding (e.g. the ILS is off by a hair), the airline, aircraft, and airport all need to be certified for autoland operations. If not, you are literally risking the lives of everyone on board. There are also environmental (e.g. crosswind) limits to autoland use.

This was another great EP and I think this has become my favourite TV show.

For the first time since I started watching this show I decided to fast-forward through the sequences with the ladies. It made a great show even better! Highly recommended.

Last edited by Flave; 10-08-08 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-08-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
For the first time since I started watching this show I decided to fast-forward through the sequences with the ladies. It made a great show even better! Highly recommended.
I confess to hitting the 30-second skip from time to time there too.
Old 10-08-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by OldDude
NOTE: If you record this (or anything on CBS tonight), the football game is running over and you will need to pad (as usual).

Edit: 0:30 overrun on East Coast. 60 Minutes started at 7:30 PM, plan accordingly.
D'oh! I didn't know this. Sat down to watch the recording last night and got 30 minutes of Cold Case. Now I just padded the Tivo an extra hour since I don't record anything else on Sundays.
Old 10-10-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The wife plots are occasionally interesting. If this is what the show needs to do to keep women viewers, so be it.

Also, I'm going to be padding The Unit by 30 minutes from now on.
Old 10-10-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
i liked how they improvised weapons on the plane. who knew the handle of suitcase could be used as a shiv!
Old 10-10-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know why some of you hate the wives storylines so much. I know season 1 was overkill on the scenes they were in, but I think the show has gotten better at making them more secondary characters and actually intrigal to the overall story arc of the show.