Old 09-26-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another reason not to watch.
Old 09-26-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I couldn't give a rat's ass. Politicians are not funny. You're not supposed to laugh with them, just laugh AT them.
Truth!
Old 09-26-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by aktick
Hey, she couldn't sound any worse than this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8oykfW50E3Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8oykfW50E3Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iap0LMsa36w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iap0LMsa36w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Both candidates have those 'duh' moments. We could go back and forth all day. The difference between them and Palin is that they've done a dozen or more speeches a month for the past six months, they're bound to slip up. Palin spoke to Charlie Gibson and ... um, yea ... hello?

Of course, her not appearing or speaking to anyone would only benefit SNL. People will tune in just because that's the only place to see her. SNL's viewership will be up that night. I think more people have seen Tina Fey portraying Palin speak more than seeing Sarah Palin herself. It's hard to say if her appearing would help more than hurt the Republican ticket.
Old 09-26-08, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Both candidates have those 'duh' moments. We could go back and forth all day. The difference between them and Palin is that they've done a dozen or more speeches a month for the past six months, they're bound to slip up. Palin spoke to Charlie Gibson and ... um, yea ... hello?

Of course, her not appearing or speaking to anyone would only benefit SNL. People will tune in just because that's the only place to see her. SNL's viewership will be up that night. I think more people have seen Tina Fey portraying Palin speak more than seeing Sarah Palin herself. It's hard to say if her appearing would help more than hurt the Republican ticket.
Something tells me you wouldn't be voting for the Republican ticket no matter who was on there with McCain.

And I agree they all have those "duh" moments, but you've gotta admit a couple of those Obama ones were pretty bad...if Palin, Biden, or McCain didn't know what they were talking about, they would at least be able to sound like they sort of did.

Last edited by aktick; 09-26-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know why she'd go on SNL ..... she's getting enough laughs with her TV interviews.
Old 09-26-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
Don't know why she'd go on SNL ..... she's getting enough laughs with her TV interviews.
Yeah.. I caught her Couric interview yesterday. They kept repeating it along with the Letterman/McCain debacle. Funnier than this episode is going to be.
Old 09-26-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Please, no. Palin needs to be on TV debating issues with Biden or answering tough, hard-hitting questions about her beliefs. She doesn't need to be popping up on SNL to deliver a few awkward lines to garner a round of applause she doesn't deserve so people can start talking about her again as the "cute, funny MILF" they want to see in office.
Old 09-26-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Something tells me you wouldn't be voting for the Republican ticket no matter who was on there with McCain.

And I agree they all have those "duh" moments, but you've gotta admit a couple of those Obama ones were pretty bad...if Palin, Biden, or McCain didn't know what they were talking about, they would at least be able to sound like they sort of did.
Yes those videos were pretty bad, but everyone can have an 'off' day. Here's McCain having more than a few 'off' days.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWX5u69hmzY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWX5u69hmzY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As for who is getting my vote, it's whichever candidate who will serve the country best right now. So far I've voted in four elections. Voted Democratic twice and Republican twice. This year breaks the tie.
Old 09-26-08, 08:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As for who is getting my vote, it's whichever candidate who will serve the country best right now. So far I've voted in four elections. Voted Democratic twice and Republican twice. This year breaks the tie.
Fence sitter!
Old 09-27-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-27-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Fence sitter!

Nope. Clearly he swings both ways...
Old 09-28-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what happened to her being on SNL? Did the McCain camp issue any kind of official (BS) statement?

Perhaps she realized there was sound on the show and that she may have to talk, or she finally watched the Tina Fey sketch with the sound up and realized SNL does NOT like her. Or maybe McCain figured it best to keep her off the show since he couldn't do Letterman the other day and doesn't want any more attention brought to the issue by having people ask why can his VP nod do a comedy show when he bows out himself.
Old 10-13-08, 10:42 AM
Banned

Don't know if this should go on the politics forum, but since it has to do with Tina Fey and Sarah Palin, I'll put it here:

Fey Blamed For 'Ruining' Palin's Reputation
13 October 2008 9:10 AM, PDT

Comedienne Tina Fey has been blamed for the Republican party's recent slip in the polls ahead of the U.S. presidential election, after impersonating vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin on comedy sketch series Saturday Night Live.

According to a recent poll taken by the Washington Times, the "Tina Fey effect" has turned supporters off the Alaskan governor and her running-mate, presidential candidate John McCain.

Political scientist Jerald Podair tells the New York Post: "Presidential impersonators do influence elections, and in this one, Tina Fey is well on her way to ruining Sarah Palin's political career. In a political culture that takes its cues from popular culture, a good impersonator may be worth a million votes.

"The parodies may have done a bit of damage. People remember Gerald Ford through the prism of Chevy Chase. Ford was among our most athletic presidents, and he had a wide-ranging knowledge of public-policy issues. But because of SNL, many came to think of him as a buffoon."

But the reviews have yet to effect Palin's own praise of Fey, with rumours still swirling the politician will make a cameo alongside the comedienne on the show.

Earlier this month, Palin told reporters she would be open to make an appearance, adding: "I love her, she's a hoot (fun) and she's so talented. It would be fun to meet her, imitate her and keep on giving her new material."
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0582817/

Funny they think that since Palin herself is coming with most of the material. Tina just has to repeat what Sarah said.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PN8IJc-ojHM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PN8IJc-ojHM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-13-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
They make it sound like political satire was just invented so they can ruin Palin's reputation.
Old 10-13-08, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If Fey has such a sway on voters, than her "Bitch is the new black" speech should have secured Clinton's nomincation.
Old 10-13-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

W certainly lost both of his elections because of Will Ferrell.
Old 10-13-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never get why Republicans can't take a joke. Tight asses.
Old 10-13-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I never get why Republicans can't take a joke. Tight asses.
They enjoy it as much as the next guy...until they slip in the polls, then it's everyone's fault but their own.
Old 10-13-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I believe it did contributed and Tina Fey isn't the only one. Granted, it probably wasn't a huge factor. I mean come on, an almost weekly barrage of Palin bits and jokes from all over that are less than flattering? You guys don't see how that can influence people who're on the fence?

But it certainly wasn't the only thing that helped. People simply realizing they don't like Palin after "kinda" getting to know more about her and other things all added up.

Ask Kip Winger about "Beavis and Butthead", then come back to me about how satire doesn't influence people.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-13-08 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-13-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
If Fey has such a sway on voters, than her "Bitch is the new black" speech should have secured Clinton's nomincation.
I preferred, "Black is the new president, bitch."
Old 10-13-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I preferred, "Black is the new president, bitch."

Old 10-17-08, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well apparently (according to Larry King Live of all places), Palin will make a cameo appearence this sat
Old 10-17-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to see what kind of audience reaction that receives.
Old 10-17-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ask Kip Winger about "Beavis and Butthead", then come back to me about how satire doesn't influence people.
Holy crap, I did that once. I was just trying to get a funny quote, asking him something like "13 years later, they're gone and you're still rocking. Do you feel like you had the last laugh?"

He just said "Next question," and seemed defensive for the rest of the interview. It sucked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.