Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 09/13/08 - H: Michael Phelps - MG: Lil Wayne (Season 34 Premiere)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 09/13/08 - H: Michael Phelps - MG: Lil Wayne (Season 34 Premiere)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also got a Belushi wanna be vibe from the new cast member. They didnt even try to make Phelps funny...they just stuck a bunch of different wigs on him. The only part he was natural in at all was the diet skit. Just wayyy to boring a premiere. Next week bodes a little better with DeFranco guest hosting.
Old 09-14-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Just got through with the ep and as others have said, the opening was good and the rest was just pretty awful. Some of it was dreadfully painful. A couple of giggles during Weekend Update, and I actually liked the Phelps diet sketch, but it went on way too long. The T-Mobile sketch actually wasn't too bad either. Not a good opener at all.

Edit to add: OK, I just watched the opening again, and it was pretty great. Tina Fey was perfect. And boner shrinker.

Last edited by clckworang; 09-14-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-14-08, 12:44 PM

I didn't watch any sketches besides the Palin/Hillary one - what's the point? - but I did laugh at some stuff during weekend update. The commentator who can't actually make a point was kind of funny.
Old 09-14-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
NBC needs to stop renewing this show out of some sense of tradition. At this point, it's just embarrassing.
Old 09-14-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
'SNL' has best premiere since 2001
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...7d9248fc3e2ecd
Old 09-14-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tina Fey was absolutely perfect as Palin.
Old 09-14-08, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
NBC needs to stop renewing this show out of some sense of tradition. At this point, it's just embarrassing.
This show can be, and has been, great. Unfortunately, this is the worst cast since the early 1980s. They need to dump the writers and cast and perform a major overhaul.
Old 09-14-08, 07:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
i just figured out what SNL stands for: Still Not Laughing!

except for the opening which Tina Fey was brilliant in, the show sucks balls. the skits, the sports guests are just terrible.
Old 09-14-08, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by matta
This show can be, and has been, great. Unfortunately, this is the worst cast since the early 1980s. They need to dump the writers and cast and perform a major overhaul.
i dont know... i personally think Poehler, Forte, Armisen, Wiig, Sudekis, Meyers, Hader and Hammond are great. That's a pretty big chunk of the cast. They do need to get rid of a few... but I dont know about a major overhaul.
Old 09-14-08, 08:40 PM

Its poor writing above all else.
Old 09-14-08, 11:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Loved the opener, and really liked the "extended" T-Mobile commercial. I always thought the real commercial was a little weird.

Phelps was awful, but I did like the "Michael Phelps Diet" bit. Found myself laughing at the Space Olympics short (due to the absolute weirdness of it).

The Pizza restaurant sketch was ABYSMAL. Hope we never see that character again... Although I didn't mind the new guy in the other things he was in.

Awkward kids was bad (it's never been good). Quiz Bowl was mediocre. Charles Barkley show was ok (just cause i actually like Keenan's Barkley). Weekend Update wasn't that great.

Overall, I'd say it was a C.
Old 09-15-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
I don't know...I remember some of those early 80's episodes and they were far, far more painful than what I watched last night or even last year.

But I totally agree on a major overhaul for the show. The show lacks real star talent on this show right now. Seriously, can you imagine ANY of these current actors going on to make major movies later on? And how has Darrell Hammond been allowed to stick around for so long? Dude, hang it UP. Him and Poehler would be the first two I'd like to see get the axe.

All the up and coming improv comics out there...all the great talent being snatched up by other shows and movies...you can't expect me to believe this is the best they can do.

This show SHOULD be renewed, but it also should be reinvented. When is the last time this show had a really great and memorable cast? It's been a while, in my opinion.
Old 09-15-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
i dont know... i personally think Poehler, Forte, Armisen, Wiig, Sudekis, Meyers, Hader and Hammond are great. That's a pretty big chunk of the cast. They do need to get rid of a few... but I dont know about a major overhaul.
I think Amrmisen, Wiig, Sudekis and Hader are great. Forte, so-so. But that's just me. Of course, a lot of it has to do with the writing, as somebody else said, so maybe we need to take a closer look at who the writers are on this show right now.
Old 09-15-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Since there was no announcement during WU or the end of the show, are we to assume that Poehler isn't leaving? I hope not. That was the one thing about this show I was looking forward to.

As for the rest of the show...it was the usual episode of SNL. I also noticed during this episode that all of Wiig's characters (with the possible exception of her A-Hole) are the same. Still, I don't loathe her because of it as much as I do Poehler.
Old 09-15-08, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Wiig is the common denominator in all the weak sketches.

She was in the ugly kids sketch, the a holes, and the target lady and penelope the girl who repeats herself.

She probably wrote all of those characters.

I thought the era with Cheri O Terry, Molly Shannon, Chris Kattan and Ana Gasteyer was the worst.

they hit it big after they left SNL.

if Will Ferrell did not become a huge box office star he would be lumped with the rest of that bad mid to late 90's cast.

I hope this season we get better musical guests.

the 2007-2008 season had no memorable musical performances.
Old 09-15-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Saw clips of the Palin/Clinton opening. Very funny. Tina Fey is a dead ringer for Palin - fantastic vocal impression.
Old 09-15-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I don't know...I remember some of those early 80's episodes and they were far, far more painful than what I watched last night or even last year.

But I totally agree on a major overhaul for the show. The show lacks real star talent on this show right now. Seriously, can you imagine ANY of these current actors going on to make major movies later on? And how has Darrell Hammond been allowed to stick around for so long? Dude, hang it UP. Him and Poehler would be the first two I'd like to see get the axe.
I never got the hate for Poehler she has great delivery, though I thought she was taking off as well this year. I'm amazed Hammond is still around.

I actually don't mind the current crop for the show itself, the performances aren't terrible, though the skits themselves most certainly are.
Old 09-15-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, it's the writing. So Seth Meyers as head writer should be the first to be given his walking papers. How can he allow that crap to even get on the air?

Here's a tip: not every bizarre idea can be turned into a two-minute sketch. And it certainly shouldn't be stretched into five minutes. With no ending.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 09-15-08 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I never got the hate for Poehler she has great delivery, though I thought she was taking off as well this year. I'm amazed Hammond is still around.
I don't like Amy because she seemed to push Rachel Dratch aside. She was one of my favorite performers in a long time.
Old 09-15-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
And yes, Tina was great. I hope she continues in that role for as long as she's needed.

And if I were a prayin' man, every nightly knee-bend would be asking that she is needed for another two months and then never again.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 09-15-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 02:22 PM

Am I the only one who hated the opening? Granted I've already stated my distain for Fey and the Preggers Lil' Fey but seriously. She's probably the one SNL alum who is known as being so far left she's almost gone all the way around to the other side. They had another option with big chest whose politics aren't known and who hasn't made SNL her personal forum for political activism. And that accent....does she realize that sounds more Minnesotan than anywhere else?
Old 09-15-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
The pizza sketch was lame and went too long, but the new guy has a bit of a Belushi look and feel to him. I'm just not sure if he's more John or Jim yet.
Unfortunately, for me, he has more of an Artie Lange look to him...

However, I think he has potential. This, granted, is from a man who found the pepper skit to be fairly amusing and hates all things Poehler. So use that as your baseline when determining whether my opinion has any validity.
Old 09-15-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by jpb07
Am I the only one who hated the opening? Granted I've already stated my distain for Fey and the Preggers Lil' Fey but seriously. She's probably the one SNL alum who is known as being so far left she's almost gone all the way around to the other side. They had another option with big chest whose politics aren't known and who hasn't made SNL her personal forum for political activism. And that accent....does she realize that sounds more Minnesotan than anywhere else?
I had no issues with it, the accent/speech pattern sounded quite similar to Palin's, the look was down pat, and the responses were basically exaggerations of actual comments given good timing in a different circumstance. It was a good skit.

Fey doesn't strike me as any more leftist than anyone else in the Hollywood cog machine. But then, I don't actively follow actors/actresses and their politics.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-15-08 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jpb07
Ha. You have to understand, to us East Coasters, accents from anywhere west of the Mississippi sound equally retarded (That goes for south of the Mason-Dixon as well).

I loved the opening (in fact, it was the only part I did like). Mostly because I want to hate-F*ck Palin on a Moose and then ship her on an ice flow elderly-eskimo-style to the part of Russia "we can see right over the water." I like McCain (to an extent), but a lot of us lefties, even the more moderate ones hate what Palin represents. She's ditzy, hypocritical and completely unqualified (not just in time spent, state represented or personal experience but MENTALLY unqualified most importantly) and an insult to women (presuming that women who supported Clinton would forgo everything they/she believes in to vote for the party with a vagina on the ticket). Not to mention that she represents my most hated political fallacy: That anyone can do this job. If I here one more talking head say, "She's just like us!", I'm going to start a new civil war. People are stupid, by and large. I don't want my pres or vice pres to be just like me. I don't want to have a beer with them, eat Barbecue with them or spend 2 days in a moose blind with them. I want them to be elitist super geniuses who, while CARING about the plight of the common man, have nothing COMMON about them. Farah Sarah Barracuda is the baseline posterchild for the epitome of common.

So even though I'm for civility in elections and I hate when Obama goes negative or people like Olberman or Matthews let their biases slip through, I'm all for everyone and anyone piling on this ridiculous joke of candidate, as well as those that have suddenly canonized her after two weeks.

As for the rest of the show... utter crap. They should stop having the "politcal comedian" on Weekend update. it's a one-note joke that goes on for five minutes.

LM should start signing every SNL player to ten year contracts. For the money he would lose on the crappers, he'd make it back on the Feys, Rocks, Myers, Murrays etc who bounce to bigger and better things as soon as they start to make SNL funny again.

(Note, that's what HE should do for his interests... as for me, I'd much rather have 30 Rock)

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 09-15-08 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

The coach sketch was much funnier with Peyton Manning...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.