Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Burn Notice---"Scatter Point"---8/7/08

Burn Notice

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Michael takes part in coordinating a jewelry heist to help a client who is unable to break free of the crime ring planning the job.

Old 08-07-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked that this didn't have the usual mom finds some sob story angle, but I felt the main story was a little lacking. There wasn't all that much that was particularly clever, and clever is what this show is all about.
Old 08-07-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
What a waste for Robin Givens. She had almost no speaking parts and was a background character. I actually thought the premise was really good.
Old 08-08-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Ugh the story this week sucked. The moment Trevor threw out that tired "I have a kid" line, that is when it started to go down hill. Believe it or not Sam had a better story this week.
Old 08-08-08, 08:51 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

A subpar episode for this series. Everything got telegraphed -- including the ending "twist" that was obvious as soon as Michael was interrupted by his day job.
Old 08-08-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yeah, I agree this was a below average episode. Hopefully next week's is better.
Old 08-08-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
While it may have been a subpar episode, this series is still more entertaining than a lot of other stuff IMO. This is my Magnum PI of 2008.
Old 08-09-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My recording cut off at the end just as Michael entered the building. What did he find?
Old 08-09-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In Carla's "office", Carla left Michael a taped message (nice try, Michael, yadda yadda), photos of Michael trying to get the drop on Carla's operation, and then in another room, she leaves him a bottle (wine, champagne, who knows), and a manilla envelope with a crossroad puzzle filled out, and then Michael looks like he ate something really bad, they freeze the shot on his face, cut in closer twice, then fade to black.
Old 08-09-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Chilling! Thanks for the update.
Old 08-11-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I like this show (I really do). I think it's breezy summer entertainment. Sure, it'll never win a stack of Emmy Awards, but who cares? It's fun!

Having said that, am I the only one out there that's kind of... tired of how they can always get "in" with whatever crowd they need to? I mean, I know they're spies, and are presumably trained to make quick relationships. And I know that an episode where they couldn't work themselves into a gang wouldn't last very long.

But still... any time they need to work their way into into a gang, or bluff their way into a secured area, or use Fiona's "womanly charms" to steal someone's cell phone or keys or something... they always pull it off.

Just once, I'd like to see Fi try to work her magic... only to find out that the target is gay. Or have Sam "look into something" with his contacts, only to come up empty. Or have some drug\crime lord look at Michael (pretending to be a hit man or safecracker or what have you) and go "No way!". Or maybe even have the gang run into problems with a Haitian gang that can't be infiltrated (not by Michael, Fi or Sam, anyway).

I mean, really. Would the Mafia have lasted as long as it did if Lucky Luciano or Sam Giancana readily accepted random strangers into their inner circles?

As I said, I really like the show, but the fact that Michael can always fit in where necessary kind of bugs me.
Old 08-11-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty good episode, IMO. I wonder if we will ever find out that Veronica is in on the whole thing.
Old 08-11-08, 01:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Enjoyable show, but I find it silly that Michael is unwilling to kill a bad guy in cold blood, but perfectly happy to set him up so he gets killed.
Old 08-11-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Enjoyable show, but I find it silly that Michael is unwilling to kill a bad guy in cold blood, but perfectly happy to set him up so he gets killed.
If you set it up so someone else kills him, and it's clear to everyone who did it and why, it prevents people from tracking you down about it later. Let someone else do the dirty work and deal with the fallout.
Old 08-13-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum

Just once, I'd like to see Fi try to work her magic... only to find out that the target is gay.
It would be even better if the guy is straight and not interested -- that would burn Fi up.
Old 08-13-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Originally Posted by JasonF
If you set it up so someone else kills him, and it's clear to everyone who did it and why, it prevents people from tracking you down about it later. Let someone else do the dirty work and deal with the fallout.
Not to mention that committing a crime like that would put Michael in an even more dire situation with the people who burned him. Now they could simply flat out blackmail him to do whatever they want. Remember, they're still sort of keeping an eye on everything he does.
Old 08-13-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just once, I'd like to see Fi try to work her magic... only to find out that the target is gay.
I always used to think that while watching Alias.

Actually it would be a great scene if that happened, and without skipping a beat, Michael realizes what is going on and they switch tactics on the fly, and he becomes the sexy bait. I could totally see Michael doing that since he thinks fast on his feet. And he is no slouch in the sexy department!
Old 08-13-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rkndkn
It would be even better if the guy is straight and not interested -- that would burn Fi up.
Yeah, really. How hard would it be for a bad guy to simply say "Eh, no thanks. I'm married and I love my wife!"
Old 08-13-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Actually it would be a great scene if that happened, and without skipping a beat, Michael realizes what is going on and they switch tactics on the fly, and he becomes the sexy bait. I could totally see Michael doing that since he thinks fast on his feet. And he is no slouch in the sexy department!
Wasn't this in the "Pilot"? The client was accused of stealing some priceless art from his boss, and Michael went to an art dealer to try and find out if anyone had tried to sell the pieces. He instinctively turned on the "gay" mid-conversation to pump the dealer for more information.
Old 08-13-08, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Wasn't this in the "Pilot"? The client was accused of stealing some priceless art from his boss, and Michael went to an art dealer to try and find out if anyone had tried to sell the pieces. He instinctively turned on the "gay" mid-conversation to pump the dealer for more information.
I forget which episode, but wasn't there one where Fi and Sam go in a bar, Fi takes a look around and realizes Sam would be the better bait.
Old 08-14-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Yeah, really. How hard would it be for a bad guy to simply say "Eh, no thanks. I'm married and I love my wife!"
Basically, this happened when Fi couldn't get the fat guy to take a drink of champagne with her, effectively breaking his parole. And Sam had to think fast and try a different tactic.