Old 07-21-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roeper splits with Ebert & Roeper

Sun-Times' Roeper splits with Disney's 'At the Movies'
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5026820.story

By Phil Rosenthal | Tribune media columnist
July 20, 2008

Chicago Sun-Times columnist Richard Roeper said in a statement late Sunday that he will leave television's "At the Movies With Ebert & Roeper" next month after eight years, having failed to reach agreement with Disney-ABC Domestic Television on a new contract.

Spokespeople for Disney were unavailable for comment.

Also unavailable were Roeper and Chicago Tribune reviewer Michael Phillips, a regular fill-in lately for Sun-Times movie critic Roger Ebert, who has been sidelined the last two years because of health issues that have robbed him of his voice.

Industry sources say Disney is contemplating a reinvention of the nationally syndicated movie review program with more of a Hollywood focus, along the lines of CBS Television Distribution's "Entertainment Tonight."

"I wish Disney the best of luck with their new show, whatever form it may take," Roeper said in his statement. "In the meantime, it is my intention to proceed elsewhere with my ninth year as the co-host of a movie review show that honors the standards established by Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert more than 30 years ago. I will be free to share the details on that program in the near future."

Roeper, who remains under contract until mid-August, said in his statement that "much transpired ... behind the scenes" after he fielded an initial offer months ago to extend his contract, "but an agreement was never reached and we are all moving along."

Siskel and Ebert had begun reviewing movies in tandem on televison together in 1975 on Chicago public broadcasting's WTTW-Ch. 11, which eventually took their program national. The pair jumped to commercial television via Chicago Tribune parent Tribune Co.'s TV syndication wing in 1982, switching to Disney in 1986.

Roeper was selected in 2000 from among a large group of contenders to be the permanent replacement for Siskel, who died in 1999.

The show last year ditched its thumbs-up/thumbs-down shorthand for reviewing films, a hallmark popularized in the Siskel-and-Ebert years, as result of contract haggling between Disney and Ebert.

"Over the last two seasons, as Roger has bravely coped with his medical issues, I've continued the show with a number of guest co-hosts," Roeper said in his statement. "It's never been the same without Roger, but I'm proud of the work we've done and I'm grateful to all the co-hosts who stepped in—and to the viewers that stayed loyal to the show."
Old 07-21-08, 10:52 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well that sucks, I knew when Roger never returned it spelled doom for the show.
Old 07-21-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roeper was never fit to host this show in the first place. I stopped watching once it was obvious Ebert wasn't coming back.

I wish they would get a show with two good film critics.
Old 07-21-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Roeper leaving already being discussed in Movie Talk: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=535968
Old 07-21-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Roeper was never fit to host this show in the first place. I stopped watching once it was obvious Ebert wasn't coming back.

I wish they would get a show with two good film critics.
+1
Old 07-21-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ten41
Industry sources say Disney is contemplating a reinvention of the nationally syndicated movie review program with more of a Hollywood focus, along the lines of CBS Television Distribution's "Entertainment Tonight."
Ew.
Old 07-21-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahoo News
Ebert and Roeper leaving popular movie review show

CHICAGO - Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert says he's cutting ties with the television show that he and the late Gene Siskel made famous.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press on Monday, Ebert said Disney-ABC Domestic Television had decided to take the show "in a new direction" and he won't be associated with it.

His announcement came a day after Chicago Sun-Times columnist Richard Roeper said he was leaving the nationally syndicated "At the Movies With Ebert & Roeper."

Roeper said in a statement Sunday that he had failed to agree on a contract extension with Disney-ABC Domestic Television so his last appearance on the show will air the weekend of Aug. 16-17.

"Several months ago, Disney offered to extend my contract, which expires at the conclusion of the 2007-08 season," Roeper said. "I opted to wait. Much transpired after that behind the scenes, but an agreement was never reached, and we are all moving on."

A message seeking comment was left for a spokeswoman for Disney-ABC Domestic Television early Monday.

Roeper said he intends to "proceed elsewhere ... as the co-host of a movie review show that honors the standards established by Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert more than 30 years ago."

"I will be free to share the details on that program in the near future," he said.

He also said he wishes Disney "the best of luck with their new show, whatever form it may take."

Roeper joined Sun-Times movie critic Roger Ebert on the show in 2000, after Ebert's original co-host, Chicago Tribune film critic Gene Siskel, died of a brain tumor in 1999.

Siskel and Ebert had begun reviewing movies on television together in 1975 on Chicago public broadcasting's WTTW, which eventually took their program national. The pair jumped to commercial television through the Tribune Co.'s TV syndication wing in 1982, switching to Disney in 1986.

Roeper was chosen from among a large group of contenders to be the permanent replacement for Siskel after his death.

Ebert has been sidelined the last two years because of health issues that have robbed him of his voice.

"Over the last two seasons, as Roger has bravely coped with his medical issues, I've continued the show with a number of guest co-hosts," Roeper said. "It's never been the same without Roger, but I'm proud of the work we've done and I'm grateful to all the co-hosts who stepped in — and to the viewers that stayed loyal to the show."
I like Roeper, unlike most. He isn't the most indepth critic, but he does have some good enthusiasm which is fun to listen to, imho at least.
Old 07-21-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like most of the respondents on the movie forum thread like Roeper. I agree with them. He has an everyman quality that translates well. Personally, I don't care for the bickering that made Siskel and Ebert famous, although as critics they were unmatched.

Hey could be worse ..... Michael Medved anyone?
Old 07-21-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Ew.
That about sums it up nicely.
Old 07-21-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Never liked Roeper nor understood why Ebert picked him--he was just another Chicago Trib columnist/analyst, not really a movie reviewer until Ebert made him so. Stopped watching back when Ebert was still *round* and reliable.
Old 07-21-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
...he was just another Chicago Trib columnist/analyst, not really a movie reviewer until Ebert made him so.
You know you're describing how Gene Siskel started out on the movie beat, right? And not just because you referenced the Tribune rather than the Sun-Times.
Old 07-21-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry getting the two newspaper names confused, as I say, I haven't watched it in a while--nor have I ever been in & around the Windy City.

I seem to remember Siskel & Ebert more or less beginning as competing movie critics for the two rival papers. I remember Roeper as a general-purpose columnist (politics/culture) for Ebert's paper before Ebert gave him the gig. Always seemed an odd and parochial choice to me.
Old 07-21-08, 02:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i liked him and the show and have been a faithful viewer for more than 15 years. i always thought Roger would be back. looks like there will be no more show at all and this is sad.
Old 07-21-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
I remember Roeper as a general-purpose columnist (politics/culture) for Ebert's paper
still is
Old 07-21-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
They should be down on there knees kissing Roeper's ass for carrying that show on his back for the last 2 plus years. They still never gave him top billing.
Old 07-21-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
They should be down on there knees kissing Roeper's ass for carrying that show on his back for the last 2 plus years. They still never gave him top billing.
They hoped Ebert would be able to return. Once that appeared unlikely, they knew the show was dead and started planning this "new format." Roeper was expendable to them.
Old 07-21-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Great, another obsequious celebrity-hijinks show is just what's lacking on TV. Who needs these stuffy critics and their uppity opinions when meretricious tabloid swill goes down so much easier? "Here's your latest E-flash"
Old 07-21-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't mind him. I did think that when the guest reviewers came on, many of them were far, far better than him. I'm not sure if that was because he was so bad or if the guest was so good.
Old 07-21-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts
Originally Posted by ten41
Like we don't have access Hollywood already.
Old 07-22-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
from Roeper's column today:

As you may have heard, I'm leaving "At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper" next month, which means it won't be called "At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper" any more, what with no Ebert & no Roeper.

Thanks to the hundreds of viewers who have sent good wishes since the announcement. You guys just overwhelmed me with your kind words.

And just to clarify, since the question came up more than once: I'm staying in Chicago and I will continue to write four columns a week for the Sun-Times. I'll also continue to send Twitter updates.

Any future TV program will also be produced right here. This is my home. Unless I'm tapped to play Jack's long-lost brother on the next season of "Lost," I ain't moving anywhere for a TV show.
Old 07-22-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is not good news. I did not like Roeper at first, but I've grown to like him well enough. The show suffered when Ebert fell ill and left, but it still is the only review program that highlights smaller films. I watch it religiously and have discovered from great movies that I otherwise would never have heard of. That's what I will miss, and that's the great tragedy here in my opinion.
Old 07-22-08, 01:13 PM

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Posted: Tue., Jul. 22, 2008, 8:15am PT

Lyons, Mankiewicz to host 'Movies'
New season starts Sept. 6

By ANNE THOMPSON

Disney ABC’s venerable weekly TV review show “At the Movies” confirmed Tuesday that Ben Lyons and Ben Mankiewicz will co-host the next iteration of the series when its 23rd season begins the weekend of Sept. 6. On Monday, Chicago Sun-Times staffers Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper quit the series.

E! Entertainment critic and blogger Ben Lyons reviews films for “E! News,” “The Daily Ten,” and E! Online series “The Lyons Den.” Lyons makes frequent appearances on “Good Morning America,” MTV’s “Your Movie Show,” “MSNBC at the Movies” and “Access Hollywood.”

Ben Mankiewicz has hosted for Turner Classic Movies for five years, as well as the alternative pop culture radio show “The Young Turks” on Sirius Satellite Radio. Mankiewicz was also a reporter and anchor for WCSC-TV in Charleston, North Carolina and served as the anchor of “The Times,” a daily news magazine at WAMI-TV Miami.

“At the Movies” also plans to introduce a new look and segments to the show in September, including a “Critics Round-Up” during which the co-hosts will engage with other critics via satellite from cities across the country.

Lyons and Mankiewicz are both following in their family’s showbiz traditions. Lyons' father, critic Jeffrey Lyons, is the son of New York Post columnist Leonard Lyons. Mankiewicz’s grandfather, Herman Mankiewicz, won a screenwriting Oscar for “Citizen Kane.” His great uncle, Joseph Mankiewicz wrote and directed “All About Eve and “A Letter to Three Wives.” His cousin, Tom Mankiewicz, wrote the James Bond movies “The Man with the Golden Gun,” “Live and Let Die” and “Diamonds Are Forever.”

Film critic Ebert, who had been affiliated with "At the Movies" for 23 years, quit the show Monday after columnist Roeper reached an impasse on financial terms during negotiations with Disney-ABC Domestic Television, which distributes the syndicated TV show. His contract had expired after eight seasons. Roeper and current co-host Michael Phillips will tape four more shows. Their run ends Aug. 15. Both men are pursuing other options for doing a show together.

Ebert and Gene Siskel enjoyed a long run with the variously titled review show that started on PBS in 1975. In 1986, Buena Vista Entertainment took over "Siskel & Ebert & the Movies." Roeper joined "Ebert & Roeper" in 2000 after various guest hosts filled in following Siskel’s death in 1999.

In July 2006, Roeper soldiered on with guest critics when Ebert, who was battling complications of throat cancer, lost his voice after surgery. Ebert went back under the knife earlier this year but was unable to restore his voice. He continues to write syndicated reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times.

In a written statement, Ebert said: "After 33 years on the air, 23 of them with Disney, the studio has decided to take the program named 'Siskel & Ebert’ and then 'Ebert & Roeper’ in a new direction. I will no longer be associated with it. … Gene and I felt the formula was simplicity itself: Two film critics, sitting across the aisle from each other in a movie balcony, debating the new films of the week. We developed an entirely new concept for TV that has lasted all these years.

"Few shows have been on the air so long and remained so popular. We made television history and established the trademarked catchphrase 'two thumbs up.’ The trademark still belongs to me and Marlene Iglitzen, Gene’s widow, and the thumbs will return. We are discussing possibilities and plan to continue the show’s tradition."

Last fall, after a year of guest hosts, from New York magazine’s David Edelstein to director Kevin Smith to blogger Kim Morgan, "At the Movies" zeroed in on Dallas Observer critic Robert Wilonsky. But after eight weeks of dismal ratings during the 22nd season, Wilonsky was shown the door.

"At the Movies" then signed five-year deals with two critics, the Chicago Tribune’s Phillips and the New York Times’ A.O. Scott, which were revocable with four weeks’ notice. After Scott and Phillips alternated for two months, Disney-ABC told Scott on April 13 that he was no longer needed, and Phillips continued with Roeper.

Last season (September to July), "At the Movies" was averaging a 1.7 household rating, down 11% from last year’s 1.9 and a 2.0 for two years ago. Among firstrun weekly half-hours, it still ranks high, behind only the weekend edition of "Wheel of Fortune" (3.3).

When Ebert’s contract expired last fall, acrimonious negotiations with Disney-ABC Domestic Television, which distributes the syndicated TV show, went public. Ebert and Disney-ABC wrangled over the value of the "thumbs up, thumbs down" feature on the movie review show. The two sides were as far apart as $1 million, according to sources close to the show.

"At the Movies" recently adopted a "see it, skip it, rent it" review system and changed its URL to Atthemoviestv.com. The site offers the "Balcony Archive," featuring 20 years of reviews from Ebert, Siskel and Roeper, and will add the new “Critics Round-Up.”

Buena Vista Productions has also named supervising producer David Plummer as the new executive producer of “At the Movies.”
Chris
Old 07-22-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Unless I'm tapped to play Jack's long-lost brother on the next season of "Lost," I ain't moving anywhere for a TV show.
Old 07-22-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new hosts don't thrill me. Looks like the season pass will be deleted within the next few weeks.

At least I don't have to worry about the constant irregular start times anymore (yes, I padded....2 hours worth).
Old 07-22-08, 01:49 PM

The new hosts are blah. I won't be watching when they take over. Heres hoping that soon a network like Bravo, A&E, or USA picks up the new show that Roger and Roeper are shopping around. I don't think Dalies will pick it up or Starz since they have contracts with Disney/Buena Vista for At the Movies *which they were showning almost every day* and Roeper did speicals for Starz under contract from Buena Vista. I knew that there was trouble when they started to us the see it/skip it/rent it system. It sounds like this has been coming for a long time since last fall they couldn't come to an agreement over the new contract. And at least Roger, along with Gene's widow, owns the rights to the thumbs, which the new show with reinstate them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.