Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Roeper splits with Ebert & Roeper

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The perfect place for the show would be Reelz channel, where the give Ebert and Roeper on almost a daily basis.
Old 07-22-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Without Ebert and/or Roeper, I won't watch. There goes a great show.
Old 07-22-08, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
Sorry getting the two newspaper names confused, as I say, I haven't watched it in a while--nor have I ever been in & around the Windy City.

I seem to remember Siskel & Ebert more or less beginning as competing movie critics for the two rival papers. I remember Roeper as a general-purpose columnist (politics/culture) for Ebert's paper before Ebert gave him the gig. Always seemed an odd and parochial choice to me.
Siskel was later given a very small column from the Tribune, because of contract issues in the late 90's. He wasn't treated right by the Tribune. The Tribune also would feature some no-name in the Friday movie section as lead movie reviewer and then put Siskel on the side in a small space in the paper. And the Tribune wouldn't advertize Siskel like they did in the past. I'm sure Ebert didn't want to hire a Tribune movie critic after Gene's death and give the Tribune some pub.
Old 07-22-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The thing I admired about Siskel, Ebert, Roeper is while their opinions may have differed sharply from my own, they always had interesting insights about the characters and plot lines, and their love of the art form was obvious and apparent.
Old 07-22-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
Stopped watching back when Ebert was still *round* and reliable.
Is that a reference to Roger's weight? Not judging, just curious.
Old 07-22-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the beginning of the inevitable end was when Ebert didn't let them use thumbs up anymore. What a complete and utter ass. He wants his name as top billed for the show he's not even on, but refuses to let them use thumbs up. I lost whatever respect I had for him when that happened.

I am sure that behind the scenes was NOT pretty. Roeper probably couldn't bolt out of there fast enough. All the power to him. I hope he gets his own show (with AO Scott or Phillips) and that they crush the new At the Movies and its lame new format in the ratings.
Old 09-04-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
from today's Chicago Sun Times

ABC 7 ready to raise curtain on new 'At the Movies'
September 4, 2008
BY ROBERT FEDER, Sun-Times Columnist

Production officially began Wednesday on the sequel to "At the Movies."

Starring Ben Mankiewicz and Ben Lyons in the hosting roles once held by Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper, the new version of the syndicated movie-review show debuts this weekend, airing at 11:05 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. Sunday on WLS-Channel 7.

Like its predecessor, the show is being produced by Disney-ABC Domestic Television at the 190 N. State St. studios of the ABC-owned station.

"ABC 7 Chicago is delighted to be the national production home of 'At the Movies,' " said Emily Barr, the station's president and general manager.

"We look forward to a long and successful run with the two Bens -- and the signature cross-talk that has made this series the country's premier movie-review show," she added.

In addition to boasting new hosts, new music, a new set and new executive producer David Plummer, the show has added a new "Critics Roundup" segment, featuring an array of opinions.

Both scions of famed show-biz families, Mankiewicz was a host for Turner Classic Movies and Sirius Satellite Radio, and Lyons reported for E! Entertainment.

Roeper, who became a free agent after last weekend's airing of his final "At the Movies" with fill-in co-host Michael Phillips, is said to be weighing offers and considering his next move.

In an encounter that could have come straight out of the movies, Mankiewicz and Lyons found themselves face to face Tuesday with Ebert and Roeper at a screening of "The Women."

By all accounts, the exchanges were cordial and friendly.
Old 09-04-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Bah. I spit on them both.
Old 09-04-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Roeper, who became a free agent after last weekend's airing of his final "At the Movies" with fill-in co-host Michael Phillips, is said to be weighing offers and considering his next move.
They showed reruns here the last two weekends.
Old 09-04-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That article just has the air date of the final ep wrong, it was the weekend of Aug. 15.
Old 09-04-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering if I saw the final episode because he made zero mention of the fact it was his last one.

If it was August 15th, I guess I did.
Old 09-04-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Roeper
The last movie I reviewed on "At the Movies" is "Medellin." That cracks me up. Cheers.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/...roep04.article
Old 09-04-08, 03:47 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a strange thing (I'm near Chicago and get their stations):

I saw the final episode Ebert and Roeper when it aired, and there was no mention whatsoever of Roeper's departure or the show change.

However, they repeated the final episode last weekend, and there was a few minutes at the end of the show with Roeper talking about his departure and his time with the show. Did they cut this ending off the original airing, or am I not remembering correctly?
Old 09-04-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sb5
Here's a strange thing (I'm near Chicago and get their stations):

I saw the final episode Ebert and Roeper when it aired, and there was no mention whatsoever of Roeper's departure or the show change.

However, they repeated the final episode last weekend, and there was a few minutes at the end of the show with Roeper talking about his departure and his time with the show. Did they cut this ending off the original airing, or am I not remembering correctly?
I saw it the first time and they never showed that ending. Sounds like a dick thing to do, on their part.
Old 09-04-08, 06:36 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I think they taped it only for the very last airing. They were waiting until after all repeated shows to show it.
Old 09-06-08, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Bah. I spit on them both.
I won't piss on them if they both were on fire.
Old 09-06-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Which one is the fat one and which one is the bald one?
Old 09-06-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Both scions of famed show-biz families, Mankiewicz was a host for Turner Classic Movies and Sirius Satellite Radio, and Lyons reported for E! Entertainment.
So they're not critics, but industry whores. Nice.
Old 09-06-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, Mankiewicz isn't too bad on TCM. But Son of Lyons is going to be a train wreck.
Old 09-06-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Does anyone watch shootout on AMC?

Peter Bart and the other guy look like they would be good movie critics if they wanted to do a show like Ebert and Roeper.
Old 09-06-08, 04:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
so i had this listed as season premiere on a syndicated station. the listing said season premiere and had new movies listed, but they showed a repeat from Roeper and Phillips. what gives?
Old 09-06-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Which one is the fat one and which one is the bald one?
The bigger problem is picking out which one is the douchebag.

Hint: that's a trick clue.
Old 09-06-08, 06:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Wow!!

what a horrible show. the production value and cast of characters makes this look like a cable access show..and a bad one at that. they have a "critics roundup" with 3 others and they all talk over each other and they don't say anything of theatrical merit. they just say how bad or good, but no real facts or something that more seasoned critics have.

this first show has got to be a joke because there is no way people will pay attention to something that many of us could probably make in our basements and make it better!

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-06-08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-06-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, there was almost nothing to like about this new cheap knock-off of what was once a great format for a review show.
Old 09-06-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
UGH! Not easy to watch. I guess they have them standing up so we won't confuse them with critics who sit down and actually look as if they are having a conversation and enjoying it. Since legally we can't use our thumbs, I guess our choices are See it or Skip it ..... I'll give it another chance, but I know where I'm leaning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.