Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jericho---"Patriots and Tyrants"---Series Finale---3/25/08

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Jericho---"Patriots and Tyrants"---Series Finale---3/25/08

That's all she wrote. It's been a fun 29 episode ride. I hope we will see Lennie James again on TV in some capacity after this.

Jericho RIP
2006-2008

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In the series finale, Jake and Hawkins attempt to prove to the independent Texas government that there is a huge conspiracy, but first they must get past the Cheyenne officials.

Old 03-25-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this has been the best thing on tv for the last two months. i will miss it.
Old 03-25-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar to the nut campaign last year to save the show, I've contacted CBS and told them that if they don't change their mind, I will launch a terrorist attack on Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Last edited by chrisih8u; 03-25-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Even though the show is history on CBS after tonight, it seems like CBS/Paramount TV wants to see if there are any takers for the show. Interesting little interview here with Carol Barbee, the show's Executive Producer.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=50950

Jericho Seeks A New Home

Carol Barbee, executive producer of CBS' canceled post-apocalyptic series Jericho, told SCI FI Wire that talks are ongoing to find the show another home, perhaps on a cable network.

"I can't really say [much] about specifics, and, ... partially, it's because I'm not the one having those conversations," Barbee said in an interview on March 24, the eve of the show's final episode. "[CBS] Paramount [Television, which produces the show,] has been pursing it, and our agents have been into that, so, you know, I am pushing those people and coming up with ideas to have those people pursue."

Barbee wouldn't offer details about any talks. "There were several ideas that have been floated, and there was some interest, but we'll have to see," she said. "It wasn't something that could be sewn up before we were going to air the finale. ... It would have been better had we been able to announce one with the other, but it just didn't happen that fast."

Barbee said that she and the show's cast and crew got official word of the show's cancellation at the end of last week, in time to choose one of two endings for the season finale: A cliffhanger or a series ender. "We were told that they were having a meeting on Thursday, ... internally at CBS, to decide which of the endings to show for this Tuesday night's finale, and then we were given the heads up after that meeting that they were going to show the alternate [ending, with the series finale], which obviously to us meant that we were going to finish our run on CBS," Barbee said. Barbee asked CBS to delay its formal announcement for 24 hours so she could inform the cast and crew; the news broke on Friday.

If Jericho is not picked up for another season by a TV network, Barbee said that she could envision it living on in some other form. "There's definitely an Internet series to be had, and we always talked about a graphic novel, and ... a movie," Barbee said. "I mean, there are lots of things that I could easily see as a way to continue the story."

But time may be running out. Jericho wrapped its second season of episodes back in November, just as the writers' strike was beginning. Since then, the cast and crew have been freed to pursue other projects, and the show's sets and backlot have been dismantled and either destroyed or put into storage. Barbee herself has moved on to another series, Swingtown, created by Jericho alumnus Mike Kelley, about the lives of couples experimenting with sexual and social mores in a 1970s Chicago suburb, which will air on CBS this summer and is shooting on the same stages once occupied by Jericho.

Looking back on Jericho, Barbee was pleased that it attracted a core of die-hard fans who were responsible for getting CBS to resurrect the show for a second season. "We appreciated the second life that we had, and we feel like we've made the most of it, and we will just be forever indebted to the fans for taking us on this amazing ride," she said. "I think it will always be a highlight in our careers, that we got to be a part of that." Jericho's finale, "Patriots and Tyrants," airs March 25 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

(Fans wishing to write SCI FI Channel about picking Jericho up should NOT use the [email protected] e-mail address, but rather should send snail mail here: SCI FI Channel, 21st Floor, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112.) --Patrick Lee, News Editor
Old 03-25-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smart promo tie in there, Sprint. Promise us a scene from a nonexistent next episode.

What more should I expect from Sprint, though? They're my carrier because they're cheap, but they have to be the dumbest company I do business with. I fear calling them because you never know what their CSRs will do to your account.
Old 03-25-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was the ending that wasn't a cliffhanger with additional resolution? Was the cliffhanger ending going to leave us in the air with a battle between Texas and Cheyenne going on?
Old 03-25-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a little cringe worthy to be watching Jericho knowing it was cancelled and seeing an ad for a show in which George Takei tries to be a country singer.
Old 03-25-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was aight, not a total cliffhanger, but definitely leaves the door cracked just barely should another nutty miracle happen for "Jericho".
Old 03-25-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yay, another celebrity show. As I posted last night in another thread, we can thank Joe Sixpack for dining on the garish reality buffet that is today's television, thus damning shows which actually portray something other than cops, docs, and lawyers.
Old 03-25-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta admit my favorite part of the episode was Marlo Stanfield as Army dude with a heart.
Old 03-26-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Absolutely. Marlo being in this one was the highlight.

Otherwise, it was pretty weak for a finale since there still feels like there is so much to say and do in this show. Obviously it was rushed.

I am going to miss this, and I hate the fact that shows like this go away while Crap with the Stars, Dance with the Bullshit, Watch Women Open Cases, Surivior Bullshit, Big Bullshit Brother, The Biggest Bullshit, Idol Bullshit, Bullshit Apprentice, etc. all manage to get huge ratings.
Old 03-26-08, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts
Yeah, I feel bad for Jamie Hector. Go from a textured character on a great show to...that. I guess you take the work you can get.

Will really miss the show now. I guess we got as good of a resolution as we could, and almost each of the major characters got an ending character moment (Ashley Scott was pretty much pointless this entire season).

Since they kept him alive I wonder where the Xander Berkeley stuff was supposed to go? Plus, we never really got any kind of resolution on Daniel Benzali's character?

Maybe some other channel will pick it up, but I have a hard time seeing all of the cast coming over.
Old 03-26-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit abrupt editing for Jake and Hawkins to go from saying that they would be using diplomatic plates to get to the airport to having Jake in the cockpit the next second.

Overall, I am kinda glad that it is finished. They clued things up while leaving some room to revisit if required. Not a horrible ending.
Old 03-26-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Good to see the Admiral from JAG as the Texas Ambassador.

Plus, we never really got any kind of resolution on Daniel Benzali's character?
Yeah, that was my biggest disappoinment with the rushed format of the season.

I'm happy they brought it back and the direction they took the show in, and how they gave it an acceptable ending, but I can move on. Had they gone with the conspiracy/coup/fascism/revolution plotline from day 1 instead of the feel-good all-is-well town-bbq armageddon plotline, I probably would have enjoyed the show much more, and missed it much more.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-26-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought it was a fitting ending, but man, this series could have gone on for years. And I 100% agree that it's incredibly sad that a show like this can't get viewers and the trash that replaces it ends up in the top 10.
Old 03-26-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it a great deal, but it was very meloncholly. They could have gone a hundred different places from that ending! Man, would I love to see the civil war.

Hawkins is, and remains, one of the biggest badasses on television. It was nice to see Jake's much talked about pilot cred. And I have to give respect to any show that has me cheering for Texas.

Great show. I hope it gets picked up on Sci-Fi, but if not, it's been a fantastic ride.

-Doc
Old 03-26-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
Yeah, I feel bad for Jamie Hector. Go from a textured character on a great show to...that. I guess you take the work you can get.

While it will be nowhere near 'Marlo', he did get cast as a (from what i've read high profile) bad guy for Season 3 of Heroes.
Old 03-26-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given how rushed the season needed to be, I was pretty happy with the series finale.

It wrapped up just enough to give us some closure and left enough open so it won't feel weird if another network picks it up.
Old 03-26-08, 12:47 PM

In my opinion, the slow pacing of the first season doomed the show, not "Joe Sixpack." I personally gave up midway through season one. I've watched every episode this "season" due to nothing else being on (thanks writer's strike!), and I was highly entertained. If this season one had the same pacing as season two, I think it might have had a shot.
Old 03-26-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrglass
In my opinion, the slow pacing of the first season doomed the show, not "Joe Sixpack." I personally gave up midway through season one. I've watched every episode this "season" due to nothing else being on (thanks writer's strike!), and I was highly entertained. If this season one had the same pacing as season two, I think it might have had a shot.

Not discounting your opinion (as I've read many who share your sentiment) but I really disagree. I loved the first season, and its deliberate pacing. It just rang true to me, the small town, struggling to keep it together amidst utter confusion and abandonment by national government. Then again, I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic "struggling-to-hang-on-to-civilization" stories. One complaint, though - I hated Dale's story line and I'm glad they pretty much dumped it this season.

-Doc
Old 03-26-08, 02:39 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I also gave up after 6 episodes, I tend to agree with mrglass. It was actually this forum that convinced me that both the pacing and (even more importantly) the writing had improved. And this season was overall yet another bump in quality.
Old 03-26-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrglass
In my opinion, the slow pacing of the first season doomed the show, not "Joe Sixpack." I personally gave up midway through season one. .

Same here - except I never came back - DVR, DVDs and Xbox filled the void.

But I loved checking out the threads in season 1
Old 03-26-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrE
Since I also gave up after 6 episodes, I tend to agree with mrglass. It was actually this forum that convinced me that both the pacing and (even more importantly) the writing had improved. And this season was overall yet another bump in quality.
x2. I don't think they really hooked people in S1, it was just too slow.
Old 03-26-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree with Doc about season 1. They had to set up the storyline and give you a reason to care about all the characters. The background on Hawkins and his family problems, Eric and his failing marriage and affair with Mary were all important elements of the 1st season. Even Stanley's evolving relationship with Mimi and his younger sister were important as well. I agree that I could have cared less about Dale.
Old 03-26-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts
The problem, at least for me, is that all of those storylines didn't make me care about the characters. It made me find them annoying.

I didn't care about the Eric/Mary/what's her name triangle, and it truly made me hate Pamela Reed's character. The weakest part of the Hawkins storyline was his struggles with his wife and kids. The Jake/Heather/Emily love triangle might have worked if they had actually picked the right girl. And no matter how cute Candace Bailey is the Dale/Sklar/Sparkle Motion plot line was interminable. It even took me a long time to warm up to Stanley and Mimi.

The problem, as I saw it, with most of those plotlines is that they had little to do w/ the fallout of a nuclear war. They were just bad soap opera plotlines, and the show didn't really start working for me until they started focusing the attention of the show beyond that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.