Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 10, March 25/26

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which American Idol Contestant will be sent home this week?
Kristy Lee Cook
15.63%
Michael Johns
0%
Ramiele Malubay
50.00%
Chikezie
18.75%
Brooke White
0%
Jason Castro
4.17%
Carly Smithson
4.17%
David Cook
2.08%
Syesha Mercado
4.17%
David Archuleta
1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Top 10, March 25/26

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't watch it due to Dancing and Biggest Loser. Thanks to the person who posted the clips.

Bleh pretty much sums it up for me. Horrible version of Billie Jean. A 1 to MJ's 10+. Didn't work. KLC, how 'ingenious' as Simon said because of song selection only. What are her chances of getting voted off? Jacuzzi is really going for Freddi Jackson (for those of you who know who he is). Can't wait until stoner dreadlock boy is gone. He makes Gomer Pyle look like Einstein.
Old 03-26-08, 07:57 AM

I had the show TIVO'd so thankfully I could skip right over some stuff. (KLC)

Kristy Lee Cook - Arg, wheres the FF button!? Please, oh no, let me find it...my ears! Ahhhhh, theres the FF button. Whew.

David Archuleta - Smiley McSmilerson is annoying. Much like KLC, I couldn't find the FF button fast enough.

Ramiele Malubay - Sucks, FF please. Thanks.

Chikezie - Does he think he's Barry White? I like that Simon busted him out on saying he was doing it for the crowd.

Brooke White - At first I thought the slip up would burn her, but the judges liked it. The beginning worked for me, but the ending fell apart. Overall though, I liked it and think she will be in for a while.

Syesha Mercado - Sang well, but forgettable.

Jason Castro - Bor-ring. Next.

Carly Smithson - Love the first part of the song, sounded just like the original. Then...it sucked. "Power Keg?" lol. Epic Fail on the last note.

David Cook - Awesome performance. Who cares if it's a cover and the judges thought he was original. He sang it and sang it well. Really well.

Michael Johns - Awesome, would listen again & again. And I agree, for some reason Queen songs just work for him. I really hope he gets a chance to sing Bohemian Rhapsody again.

Last edited by enderwiggin; 03-26-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For some reason, I get the munchies after watching Jason getting grilled by the judges. Anyone else?
Old 03-26-08, 08:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Kristy Lee Cook - Arg, wheres the FF button!? Please, oh no, let me find it...my ears! Ahhhhh, theres the FF button. Whew.
Welcome to my ignore list, terrorist.
Old 03-26-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
It's not that he's singing other people's songs that's unoriginal. Everyone does that. It's that he's doing the same exact style of modern cover every single week. We know exactly what the performance will be like just from hearing the name of the song. Most of the contestants on this show mix it up. They sing new arrangements and choose different styles in different weeks, and many times they fail miserably, but at least they're trying. The judges are usually harsh when other contestants do the same exact thing every week, but they're not only praising Cook for that obvious flaw; they're declaring it "brave" and "original", neither of which is true.

das
Das is exactly right. Exactly right.
Old 03-26-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Oh, I'm not singling him out. That's just where the discussion has gone this week. Castro, Carly, Amanda, they all have the same problem, and I've railed on them for it too, especially when the judges were praising the hell out of Carly when she didn't deserve it. Sucking less than others at the one-trick-pony act is not a valid defense.

Really, though, I must concur with shadowhawk2020. It's that fucking hair.

das
I don't really like Cook (mostly because I think he's a huge douche not to mention the fucking hair) but why would we want to hear him sing out of his style? He actually does what I want most of the contestants to do. Sing how they would on their album if it was ever made. I'm not a fan of the theme weeks where they are stuck singing something they can't make their own. You don't hear Chris Cornell singing in a different manner just to be different.

On another note, what was up with the judges praising Brooke on screwing up? I actually would prefer an artist to just keep going as it doesn't make it obvious they screwed up. Either way though, she crapped the bed.
Old 03-26-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Am I the only one who thought Archuletta was absolutely horrible? I had to turn the TV down, it sounded so bad.
I cleaned up the room. But we all know how horrible I think he is. Wouldn't be surprised to see his stock start falling rapidly.
Old 03-26-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by magiccmom
David Cook was the best of the night for me also.. Never heard that version before, and now that I have, I am glad it was introduced, because it was brilliant.
And CHRIS CORNELL is brilliant for coming up with. Cook is not brilliant for covering it. Or maybe he is, since everyone online thinks he wrote it himself, and trust me, he knew that would happen.

At this point, the best revenge against Cook is for him to win AI. Be forced to do pop sappy crap. Turn him into Bo Bice. That would be fitting, pass other people's creativity as your own and turn it into a win, and then be prevented from doing what you really want to do for the rest of your career.

Fuck you, David Cook.
Old 03-26-08, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Welcome to my ignore list, terrorist.
I'm so sad now.
Old 03-26-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by magiccmom
and so does Castro, Brooke, Sayesha, KLC, etc....they all are pretty much sounding the same week after week.
It's insane to put Brooke in the same sentence as David. Unlike David, she actually has her own talent, and is creative enough to come up with HER OWN versions.

David Cook just knows how to use You tube.
Old 03-26-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And CHRIS CORNELL is brilliant for coming up with. Cook is not brilliant for covering it. Or maybe he is, since everyone online thinks he wrote it himself, and trust me, he knew that would happen.
I doubt everyone online thinks that he created that version, since it was mentioned on the show that he did not, and every discussion forum like this one is likely on fire with people hating him for not wearing a sandwich board with "Chris Cornell did it!" stenciled on both sides.
Old 03-26-08, 08:41 AM

The point is that he did a cover just like everybody else, but the judges single him out as being "original".
Old 03-26-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
The point is that he did a cover just like everybody else, but the judges single him out as being "original".
Which is not his fault. My problem with him is that he is not a pop artist but he is on a show trying to find a Pop Idol. He's a poser just like Daughtry. He has sold out which makes him a douche bag in my eyes.
Old 03-26-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know the judges like to tell contestants that it is tough to sing a song by someone like Whitney, Mariah, or Celine and pull it off, but I will take it a step further for a second.....

Don't EVER do do Alone on Idol ever again.

Carrie sang that song the night of the final 11 and nailed it. It was the week Simon said "not only will you win this competition but you will sell more records...."

Why do these contestants insist on trying their hand at that song?

Not only could Ramiele not hold a candle to Heart, she can't hold a candle to the Carrie Underwood performance.

No one should ever do that song again. Carrie won Idol with that performance.

Speaking of memorable performances.....

I used to be a fan of Carley but tonight sucked for her. Jessica Sierra did that song (the same night Carrie did Alone, btw...coincidence?) and blew away Carleys version.

I rewatched the Sierra version last night and Carley couldn't match it. Sad though because Sierra was gone soon after that. Carley will follow.

I really think Carley being in the bottom last week shook her up further than she can recover from. Simon pegged it last night by saying she needs to loosen up. It won't happen and she will be gone in a couple of weeks.

David A made me think I woke up too early on a Sunday morning, turned the TV on and was greeted by one of them singers on a church show. It was creepy.

I was never a David Cook fan but he is making me one. He just brings it every week. I dont care if people think he is unoriginal, they all are. The kid has pipes and presence. I look forward to him being eliminated in the 3rd spot so we get a somewhat real album from him.

I actually liked KLC this week. I thought that song was right in her sweet spot.

I also liked Chikeze and Saesha, althoguh I would never leave one one of those songs if I stopped on the station on the radio.

I would like to smoke a little with Castro and listen to him perform in my basement for a few hours. There is something pleasant about him.

I loved that I didnt have to hear Amanda this week.

I hate WWRY but I liked MJs performance.
Old 03-26-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Which is not his fault. My problem with him is that he is not a pop artist but he is on a show trying to find a Pop Idol. He's a poser just like Daughtry. He has sold out which makes him a douche bag in my eyes.
You know nothing about Daughtry to make such a statement.

It IS his fault. When Randy and Simon gushed about his originality, all he had to say was "yeah, Chris Cornell wrote a pretty amazing version, I love Soundgarden and I love his version, I wanted to do it all season."

But fine, even if one were to give you this week (even though Ryan was nearly drowned out by the audience), what about the previous two weeks, where he DID NOT mention the source of his covers? Where's your defense for that horseshit?

Last edited by DVD Josh; 03-26-08 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 09:05 AM

That song David Archuleta did is exactly what you'd get if he started putting out albums. He's basically positioning himself to be the next Donny Osmand.
Old 03-26-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know nothing about Daughtry to make such an ignorant statement.

It IS his fault. When Randy and Simon gushed about his originality, all he had to say was "yeah, Chris Cornell wrote a pretty amazing version, I love Soundgarden and I love his version, I wanted to do it all season."

But fine, even if one were to give you this week (even though Ryan was nearly drowned out by the audience), what about the previous two weeks, where he DID NOT mention the source of his covers? Where's your defense for that horseshit?
What do I need to know about Daughtry to be able to call him a poser? He posed as a pop singer to make it.
Old 03-26-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
pass other people's creativity as your own
That's an impossible claim when Ryan Seacrest said it was the "Chris Cornell version" before Cook even sang one note
Old 03-26-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
And it was brave and original for Cook to choose that version of the song, knowing full well that it was out of the comfort/recognition zone and possibly alienating 99.9% of the viewing audience who are only familiar with Jacko.
Old 03-26-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
That's an impossible claim when Ryan Seacrest said it was the "Chris Cornell version" before Cook even sang one note
And here we are back to this circular claim. I've already addressed that.
Old 03-26-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDLOU
What do I need to know about Daughtry to be able to call him a poser? He posed as a pop singer to make it.
Like I said, you know nothing about Daughtry or his music to make silly statements like that.
Old 03-26-08, 10:03 AM

And here we are back to this circular claim. I've already addressed that.

Cook also credited Whitesnake on one his previous performances.
Old 03-26-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Cook also credited Whitesnake on one his previous performances.
What about Incubus' Hello?

Truth is, I actually like David's voice a great deal. I just don't like him. I would have gained a ton of respect for him if he just would have said something simple after the judges made it clear they believed he came up with that version.
Old 03-26-08, 10:27 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David A's song reminded me of some generic thing you'd hear on the soundtrack of a low budget 80s sports or competition-related movie... The sad thing is the kid has probably been kept in his father's 'bad taste bubble' and doesn't even get that it's an unknown song that completely blows. Simon's comment was dead on.

David C is driving me nuts with these songs. It just feels so damn calculated, like as soon as he gets each week's theme he's immediately googling "beatles alternative cover" or whatever.

Pandering nature of the song aside, that is exactly the type of song KLC should have been doing all along... the middle-ground country sound is right up her alley. I'm not exactly praising her, but for what it's worth it's the thing she's best at.

Also, the rules for the themes continue to puzzle me... supposedly David A's song was a cover version that was released in his birth year, but the original came out in 1986. Yet David C did a cover version that came out last year, but it qualified because the original came out in his birth year. ???
Old 03-26-08, 10:30 AM

What about Incubus' Hello?

Truth is, I actually like David's voice a great deal. I just don't like him. I would have gained a ton of respect for him if he just would have said something simple after the judges made it clear they believed he came up with that version.

I never thought he was trying to pass it off as his own arrangement and dont even think the judges thought that.

I really think the judges just appreciate that he doesnt do the standard version of the song and that is what they mean by originality.

Doing Billie Jean, and not the pop MJ version is a pretty big risk IMO. He could have very easily bombed with it.

He is never going to sound good singing a standard ballad. If he did the MJ version of BJ last night it would have sucked ass.

Being a competition he needs to actually sound good. I dont understand why it is better for him to do something out of his comfort zone but badly would be good for him. All people would be saying is "See! He can't sing a Mariah song like Mariah!".

This was a similar knock on Daughtry which I never understood either.

While they may have an impact on their song choices they don't produce the show and can't guarantee that who's version of the song will be relayed to the audience.

The dude should just wear a band t-shirt every week of whatever version of the song he is doing. Smack the public in the face with the info.

EDIT: The crazy thing is a actually don't really like this guy either, but he has grown on me every week. He sounds like a pro while many others sound like they entered a HS talent show.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 03-26-08 at 10:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.