Reload this Page >

Survivor Fans v. Favorites WED 3/19/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Fans v. Favorites WED 3/19/08

Old 03-20-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
I think both Penner and Eliza have really boosted their reputations this season.
Agreed.

I also forgot how well she guided her team in the reward challenge. The only reason they lost was because Kathy kept jabbering in James' ear over Eliza. Hilarious when he told her to shut up. It was also funny to see Cirie not know her left from right.
Old 03-20-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
Oh, no...I'm beginning to display a man-crush for Ozzy!!
That's okay creek. I know how you feel!
Old 03-20-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goat3001
Anyone notice when they showed the lightning storm at the Airai camp followed by Eliza's face? Reminded me of the girl from the ring.
I was thinking of Gollum. The voiceover about them becoming savages and then cutting to that creepy girl hunched over gnawing on raw clam was brilliant.

das
Old 03-20-08, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
That's okay creek. I know how you feel!
Just don't you dare tell my wife, Sky!!!

Some really good observations have been made about the wisdom of keeping Ozzy vs. getting rid of him. Laughed at the observation about what people will do with a bit of shampoo dangling in front of them. I had forgotten about Ozzy's past cinematic efforts in the skin trade...didn't hurt Stallone, but that was after he became famous. Guess you're right about Survivor contestants not having a great future on film...Colby seemed to be a natural but only did a few jobs, I think. Too bad he wasn't born in the cowboy western era. I always thought Ethan would have been a perfect King David. Lots of telegenic personalities on Survivor (Ami has a classic face...I can see her in some period drama about Rome or Medieval Europe). Guess Elizabeth Hasselbeck has parlayed her fame into a career better than anyone else, unless you count Jonny Fairplay's getting dumped on his head by Danny Bonaduce.

Also agree with Goat & David re: Eliza's stock going up (I turned to my wife & commented about that very thing when she proved her worth in the water/puzzle challenge, mentioning that some had questioned her value earlier). We did think it was odd that Eliza had to carry the puzzle pieces right after being dragged through the water again. Das & Goat are right about the great shot of Eliza hunched over & gnawing on her food, stringy hair and all, lit by the lighting burst. Simply classic...for a moment, thought they had inter-cut a clip from Quest For Fire.

Penner aquitted himself well with his resolve, but I could have done without his parting voice-over statements as the boat took him away. Perhaps it was the morphine talking or they taped him at his most vulnerable moment, but he did make it sound as if he has just saved his entire regiment by scaling the cliff and blowing up the pillbox while losing all his limbs.

Good points about the water challenge strategy. Sitting on the object just made it heavier to move off the platform...Oz figured that out right. And my wife also noticed that James was doing all (or most) of the work on the crank (Parv did join in toward the end), while Team Oz had people working in unison.
The producers should require everybody to participate in order to make things more entertaining...there's enough time later for players to dominate individually.

Kathy was just being hormonal (according to my wife, who is an expert). I really think that her teammates could have talked her into staying if they had given a little support...I thought they were probably glad to see her go. She wasn't much help around camp or in challenges, so this just improved their odds (their consolation seemed pretty fake to me). Or maybe they were just fed up with the whole deal. The attrition rate this season is pretty high...wonder if Burnett didn't start holding his breath on every challenge after losing 4 contestants so close together. From next episode's previews, it looks like Erik has a good chance of cracking some ribs when he smacks into the platform. This season gives a whole new meaning to the title of the program not seen since the second season, which nearly starved several contestants.

Sometimes I wonder if Ami doesn't over-analyze each vote. She certainly appears to weigh all the angles, but I guess this is preferable to somebody who just goes with the flow.

This sounds sexist, but it seems that almost all of the memorable players in recent seasons have been the males. The females either tend to blend together or just become eye candy (maybe that's why I like Cirie...she always has that scheming thing going on). Maybe it's a result of the females not being able to stand out (in the competitive sense) in the physical challenges the way Yul, Tom, Terry, Ozzy, James, and others have. They also don't seem to have the quirky personalities (Yau-Man, Hatch, Big Tom, Fairplay, and a bunch of other contestants I've forgotten but who were really entertaining/annoying/whatever). I know there are exceptions, especially in the earlier seasons, but I would wager quite a bit that, if you put up a list of names of well-known Survivor contestants and ask fans to try to picture them (or even match the name to the picture), most would have no trouble with Rupert, Colby, etc. while having a hard time remembering many of the females.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-20-08 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cirie keeps shrinking in size this season.
Old 03-20-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Maybe that's why she signed up for a second time. Beats Jenny Craig.
Old 03-20-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jenny ain't got nothing over chewy-ass clams and sand-peppered coconut bits.
Old 03-20-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper

This sounds sexist, but it seems that almost all of the memorable players in recent seasons have been the males. The females either tend to blend together or just become eye candy (maybe that's why I like Cirie...she always has that scheming thing going on). Maybe it's a result of the females not being able to stand out (in the competitive sense) in the physical challenges the way Yul, Tom, Terry, Ozzy, James, and others have. They also don't seem to have the quirky personalities (Yau-Man, Hatch, Big Tom, Fairplay, and a bunch of other contestants I've forgotten but who were really entertaining/annoying/whatever). I know there are exceptions, especially in the earlier seasons, but I would wager quite a bit that, if you put up a list of names of well-known Survivor contestants and ask fans to try to picture them (or even match the name to the picture), most would have no trouble with Rupert, Colby, etc. while having a hard time remembering many of the females.
I liked Stephanie a lot a few years back but that was the season she was up against the FDNy machine Tom
Old 03-20-08, 01:18 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
That shower scene was unbelieveable. The two hottest babes in it decide to (1) take a shower together with Ozzie AND (2) take off their tops? Whoa.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it seems they are blurring Amy's hot lower back tattoo, right? Why is that? They don't blur Parvati's. Or am I the only one who noticed...
Old 03-20-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
That shower scene was unbelieveable. The two hottest babes in it decide to (1) take a shower together with Ozzie AND (2) take off their tops? Whoa.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it seems they are blurring Amy's hot lower back tattoo, right? Why is that? They don't blur Parvati's. Or am I the only one who noticed...
Maybe it is a tattoo of a woman going down on another.
Old 03-20-08, 02:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
And when the real merger comes and there are no fans left they can just call it Survivor: Our Plan Didn't Really Work.
Or maybe Survivor: We Should Have Just Done 'All-Stars 2'.

The interesting thing... over the past two episodes four players have left the game. I've never seen such a concentration of exits outside of finales (and even then...) I suppose this means we will be doomed with the deaded recap episode pretty soon.
Old 03-20-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I wonder how the producers had to the change the game as a result of the unexpected player exits .
Old 03-20-08, 03:31 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wonder how the producers had to the change the game as a result of the unexpected player exits .
I've been wondering the same thing. A couple of times in the past when someone quit or was injured they didn't have a tribal council vote, but they've voted both times this season when someone has left/had to leave.
Old 03-20-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
Somewhere out there is an editor who has a lot of great non-blurred footage.
Old 03-20-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
They should put that sort of Survivor footage in a time vault and let folks see it in 50 years from now.
Old 03-20-08, 07:28 PM

Shit, I totally missed this! I didnt know they moved it to Wed.

Is there a way to see the episode for free online or anything?
Old 03-20-08, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Shit, I totally missed this! I didnt know they moved it to Wed.

Is there a way to see the episode for free online or anything?
Sure, http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...play=true&cc=2
Old 03-21-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just watched it. Darn time changed tricked me. I can't really blame the fans for doing so poorly. They are up against pros.

The thing I find odd is there are a few people on the show that surprise me every time I see them because for the life of me it is like that is first time I have seen them. They should do some sit downs with some of these other people so I can remember they even exist.
Old 03-21-08, 07:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Patman
They should put that sort of Survivor footage in a time vault and let folks see it in 50 years from now.
Can we say "DVD Bonus Features"?
Old 03-21-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
Okay, I've been watching the show all season....has Natalie said like 6 words?
Old 03-21-08, 10:25 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Seriously--gotta be in the DVD "bonus features." But really, what could her tattoo possibly be that would make them have to blur it out? I can't believe this information isn't readily available in this day and age...
Old 03-21-08, 11:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
sucks that we had another quitter. but i still agree, osten was the worst quitter. big guy, and couldn't handle it. Chet and Kathy both appeared weak from the beginning.

man, one of my friends is a doctor, and apparently everyone at his hospital that watches survivor is up in arms about penner's treatment on the show. They all believe he has a legitimate beef with the medical staff, and their treatment of him actually ACCELERATED the worsening condition of his leg.

apparently, you should NEVER stitch up a puncture wound, especially if it's not bleeding (which it wasn't on jonathan). if you sew it up (even after cleaning it), it increases the chances of trapping in bacteria, leading to an infection, and it doesn't allow the wound to drain. the treatment should be to clean it out as often as possible, and dress the wound. NOT to stitch it up.

now, it could be that contestants are allowed a limited number of visits from medical staff, and maybe jonathan requested it be stitched up... who knows. But my friend says that he would have been better off with an open wound (as long as it wasn't bleeding profusely, which it wasn't) wrapped in bandages than to stitch it up. it could have gotten worse that way as well, of course, being out in the wilderness, but stitching it up guaranteed it would get infected.

the treatment essentially led to him having to be removed from the show (missing his shot at the money), not to mention risked him losing his leg or dying!
Old 03-21-08, 11:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
googled it just to see if penner was talking about the wound. apparently he is:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/e...nesia-6734.php
Old 03-21-08, 12:20 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
googled it just to see if penner was talking about the wound. apparently he is:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/e...nesia-6734.php
Good info. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-21-08, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by edman180
Thanks man!

Caught the ep and damn is Amanda annoying me now. Her face looks like a droopy basset hound and she is seeming more like an air head.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.