Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park - 3/19/2008 - "Britney's New Look"

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I liked it.

Am I wrong to give them credit for being the first ones to point out that the media is just waiting for her to do something terrible to herself.

That industry is just sickening, if we already agreed upon this then i'm sorry for being late to the discussion. ;-)

To me this was classicl sledgehammer south park. there is a point. now watch me use this rifle on this poor girl....
Old 03-20-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick_N
That industry is just sickening, if we already agreed upon this then i'm sorry for being late to the discussion. ;-)
Well the industry wouldn't BE that way if there weren't people paying to see the stuff... so...
Old 03-20-08, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well the industry wouldn't BE that way if there weren't people paying to see the stuff... so...
So. My grand total over 36 years on this planet shoudl be.... well, not zero of course but not much above that.

Tabloids can go f* themself for all i care.
Old 03-20-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What made me laugh was going on to foxnews.com today and seeing "Photos Show Braless, Out-of-Shape Britney Spears" as a headline...
Old 03-20-08, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rfduncan
They are not to blame for the chicks problems. I hate the tabloids myself and love when a pissed-off celeb. punches them or gets into a fight or whatever put the point is the tabloids are not putting the coke up Brit's nose. I give Britney 95% of the blame and the tabloids 5%. Is it the tabloids fault she is a horrible mother and "forgets" to put on panties?
Old 03-20-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
They are not to blame for the chicks problems. I hate the tabloids myself and love when a pissed-off celeb. punches them or gets into a fight or whatever put the point is the tabloids are not putting the coke up Brit's nose. I give Britney 95% of the blame and the tabloids 5%. Is it the tabloids fault she is a horrible mother and "forgets" to put on panties?
I gotta agree with South Park on this one. These celebrities wouldn't be nearly as messed up if it weren't for the paparazzi in their face all the time. They've been in Britney's face since she was about 18 years old. That would take its toll on anyone. It is easy to see how they have driven her to being batshit crazy.

However, it is hard to feel sorry for Britney in particular. She has said before how she loves the attention that she gets from them and has said how she poses for them all the time.
Old 03-21-08, 08:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I thought it was also a parody of the short story "The Lottery". Especially the part where the mother hands the young boy a camera, in The Lottery, the mother hands the young boy a rock to throw at the sacrifice victim.
Another clue that it might have been a parody of "The Lottery" was when somebody mentioned that they used to hold a lottery and stone the victim to death.
Old 03-21-08, 08:50 AM

That's what I was thinking too.
Old 03-21-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wouldn't be the tabloids' fault if we didn't have to hear about it 24/7. Britney's a horrible mother. Britney's not wearing panties. Britney's getting a Slurpee at 2 AM. Britney drove to a laundromat. Britney inhaled and then exhaled. Britney sneezed. How are these things newsworthy even in the tabloid media? It's ridiculous! IMO, if not for the tabloid coverage, Britney would have faded into obscurity by now. The chick is nuts and she STILL needs help and I don't think it's all that far-fetched to believe that they're all waiting for her to off herself so they can get the exclusive.

South Park got it exactly right this week.
Old 03-21-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I give Britney 95% of the blame and the tabloids 5%.
I give the people who watch those moronic tabloid shows and who read those idiotic magazines at least 51% of the blame. By paying attention to this junk, caring enough about it to invest time and money to perpetuate it, the average American is as much to blame as the scum-sucking bottom-feeders who make their living harassing people. South Park's message seems to have been lost on some. The point wasn't that the paparazzi are to blame. The point was that everyone is to blame.

I stumbled onto that TMZ show once, and my faith in humanity shrank three sizes that day. Furthermore, if you are the asshole who responds to spam, you are to blame for all of the world's problems.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 03-21-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I was laughing my ass off when Stan And Kyle went into her hospital room and her head was gone. After that it was not all that good.
Old 03-22-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I give the people who watch those moronic tabloid shows and who read those idiotic magazines at least 51% of the blame. By paying attention to this junk, caring enough about it to invest time and money to perpetuate it, the average American is as much to blame as the scum-sucking bottom-feeders who make their living harassing people. South Park's message seems to have been lost on some. The point wasn't that the paparazzi are to blame. The point was that everyone is to blame.
Everyone including the celebrity.
Old 03-22-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Everyone including the celebrity.
In the case of Britney and Paris Hilton I would agree since they seem to love egging the camera on.

However, in other cases the celebrity is not to blame at all. They chose a career that would make them well known, yes, but that doesn't mean they have to be harassed non-stop. Why do we need pictures of Britney or anyone else famous while they are buying groceries? We shouldn't care. But we do. So people will take photos of them doing everyday chores. Then the celebrity goes crazy from the constant attention when all they want to do is be normal and buy their groceries. Just because someone makes movies or music means they are not allowed their privacy?
Old 03-22-08, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
So my DVR kinda cut this off before the credits I think... did Cartman ever come back? Seemed like he just split and never appeared again. Did he snap the picture? Was I only paying half attention? (yes I was)
Old 03-22-08, 09:25 AM

I didn't like this episode at all. It'll be one of about 4 South Park episodes I won't watch again. Honestly, the whole bit without the head made me feel uncomfortable. Weird.

On a related note, I wish they'd get over the constant shot in the head in every other episode. Not funny and not shocking.
Old 03-22-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MrR0boto
On a related note, I wish they'd get over the constant shot in the head in every other episode. Not funny and not shocking.
Disagree. South Park characters usually attempt suicide in an effort to avoid solving their problems. These attempts tend to backfire or make the "victims" look foolish, and I enjoy how SP ridicules suicide for cowardly reasons. Other instances must be judged in their own context, such as the episode where Butters goes to the camp to cure him of homosexuality. In that case, the campers committing suicide accentuated how misguided the counselor's approach was.
Old 03-22-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
There were some funny moments in this episode. I think the big letdown for me was when Cartman and Butters disappeared, although I loved the news story about Butters being captured. I tend to dislike episodes that center around Kyle and Stan. But it was still pretty funny overall. Not the best start to a season but I have faith that things will pick up.
Old 03-23-08, 11:10 PM

Wow, 2 stinkers to start off the season. I hope they have a good "school" episode on deck a la the girls list and the politics associated with it
Old 03-24-08, 01:00 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I was bored. Loved the Wicker Man references though.
Old 03-24-08, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Plenty of non-celebrities act just as nutty as Britney and end up killing themselves. I don't think you can say for certain that the press is to blame for anything Britney does. It's a nice hypothesis, but we'll never really know.
Old 03-24-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Calling the tabloids and their television/online counterparts "the press" is a sickening thought.
Old 03-24-08, 06:32 AM
Suspended

This Week on South Park: Major Boobage
In a South Park homage to the 1981 film, “Heavy Metal”, the boys are trying to get Kenny off the latest drug craze that’s captured the junior high and under set.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:164804:" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" width="480" height="360" allowFullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>

Also, www.southparkstudios.com has had a major overhaul, and you can now watch every episode online for free!

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 03-24-08 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A South Park Heavy Metal parody? I don't have to see it and it's already my favorite of the season.
Old 03-24-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
I loved when the reported did the "I Am Legend" zombie thing.

Kids...

Old 03-25-08, 07:05 AM

Good god, what a horrible, terrible episode.

First of all, and I do realise it's not easy to be cutting edge after hundreds of episodes, but Britney as a subject matter is hardly a revolutionary cutting edge parody or subject matter, and secondly, the idea of her running around with half her head blown off the whole episode took a step over the line of disgusting/funny, to just plain... well... too far.

And don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan, and they've never done this to me before, but having seen the first two episodes of the season, I can honestly say I will not watch them again. The first just plain wasn't funny, and the second was totally off.

For instance, an episode without Cartman is a recipie for disaster. Additionally, the script was totally off. I am no comedy writer by a million miles, but Cartman standing in front of Britney's seemingly dead body with a possibility of making some serious money and a camera? In any half decent episode, he says nothing, takes a picture, and slowly makes for the door. Here? Nada.

Poor poor episode. In my opinion, of course.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.