Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Final 11 (March 18/19)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be receive the fewest votes this week?
Chikezie
4.71%
Kristy Lee Cook
48.24%
Amanda Overmyer
18.82%
David Cook
0%
Ramiele Malubay
15.29%
Michael Johns
2.35%
Jason Castro
1.18%
Syesha Mercado
5.88%
Brooke White
1.18%
Carly Smithson
2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Final 11 (March 18/19)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranger
My heart sank when Carly was in the bottom 3
Mine too. It was way too early for her to get the surprise boot, so showing up in the Bottom 3 will galvanize her fanbase and secure her place for weeks to come. It was heart-breaking.

das
Old 03-19-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who were the four mentors mentioned? I just caught Neil Diamond.

And I like Carly, but it would have been ironic for her to be kicked off right after she had tattoos put on her hand in honor of AI (the number seven, for the seventh season).

Amanda? Good riddence, though I still think KLC should have gone home. And yes, hopefully KLC will pull a Haley Scarnato and come out in really skimpy clothing week after week. Kind of like how Syesha came out this week showing tons of cleavage.
Old 03-19-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Not sure how much of this is true.. but it's an interesting read.
I'm sure it's true. It's as obvious to me that Archuleta has been emotionally abused by his family's relentless pursuit of success as it is that David Hernandez is a gay stripper and Danny Noriega will attempt suicide as a cry for help before the age of 25.

das
Old 03-19-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Maybe that's why Archuleta always looks like a puppy waiting to be kicked on stage.

Good riddance Amanda. Whatever she brought to the competition I had had enough when she first started singing. I haven't even listened to her songs in two weeks.

In all those shots in the audience of Carly's husband and family I didn't see her husband anywhere, and he's kind of hard to miss. I wouldn't have been upset to see her go either, not b/c she was the worst, but b/c she's been severely overpraised.

If KLC goes next week then Simon will be right. He said she'd finish tenth. Certainly, she ups the attractiveness quotient.
Old 03-20-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Who were the four mentors mentioned? I just caught Neil Diamond.
Dolly Parton, Mariah Carey (did you know ... Randy worked with her!), Andrew Lloyd Webber, and Mr. Diamond.

So Dolly would surely be the obligatory country week. ALW will be showtunes (which I guess AI is due for ... I don't remember that theme in the last couple of seasons). Mariah? I have a feeling they're not going to do a Mariah week, but instead do like they did with Gwen Stefani and let it be a free for all of songs that Mariah likes. Either way, fear the melisma. I'd be down for a Neil Diamond night. A career of 40+ years, 36 top 40 hits ... he's earned it. At least he's not one of those guys with a standards CD to push.

I guess I'm in the minority of being sad to see Amanda leave. I was looking forward to her struggles with increasingly difficult themes. I think there's much more entertainment value with her butchering a Broadway showtune, then a forgettable diva wannabe. Anyone notice none of the contestants seemed sad to see Amanda go. Hell, they were consoling KLC over her close call and ignoring Amanda. Even the weepy David A and Ramiele were completely dry-eyed.

Last edited by brainee; 03-20-08 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You could tell Amanda was the oddball in the group, so no surprise that she didn't get the weepy treatment by the kids.
Old 03-20-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Carly was stuck in the bottom three, to 'make' people vote for her the next week.

You watch, even if Carly is worse next week, people who like her (who thought she was safe), will rally.
Old 03-20-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone else notice during the group song, Amanda was just half-heartedly mouthing the words part of the time? Not sure if she was just her usual disinterested self or she was told not to sing because her voice didn't really fit into the song with everyone else.
Old 03-20-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Gambit
Did anyone else notice during the group song, Amanda was just half-heartedly mouthing the words part of the time? Not sure if she was just her usual disinterested self or she was told not to sing because her voice didn't really fit into the song with everyone else.
I noticed that too. I think Amanda just hates those horrible group sing-alongs
Old 03-20-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The people in the bottom three all butchered classic Beatles tunes.

Carly way oversung Blackbird, making a beautiful lullaby into a scream fest. KLC changed the hook to the great Hide Your Love Away and made it dismal. Amanda picked a good song, but her timing and phrasing were off by about a beat for the whole song.

You can butcher lesser-known songs and get away with it. Not the Beatles.
Old 03-20-08, 06:31 AM

at Ryan's introduction of Kelly Pickler......."She has grown in more ways than one"....

Last edited by scoot95; 03-20-08 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 06:33 AM
Cool New Member

Amanda voted out and exit song:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wbBAkLzTrnM"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wbBAkLzTrnM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Top 11 perform
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yV8xO3lYS_M"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yV8xO3lYS_M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Ford Commercial
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ntb6E-fHC3I"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ntb6E-fHC3I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Kellie Pickler Performing Red High Heels
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMtJ8YE6Qf0"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMtJ8YE6Qf0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
Old 03-20-08, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brainee
Mariah Carey (did you know ... Randy worked with her!),
He made her what she is today, Dawg!
Old 03-20-08, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scoot95
at Ryan's introduction of Kelly Pickler......."She has grown in more ways than one"....
Good to see Kellie again (hope they bring her back on Dolly week for a side by side comparison).

The only thing was that I couldn't quite figure out the name of the song she sang...
Old 03-20-08, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Patman
You could tell Amanda was the oddball in the group, so no surprise that she didn't get the weepy treatment by the kids.
I think they were a-skeered of her (except Carly, who figures her tats bonded her with Amanda).

I was certainly blind-sided by the result...guess even VFTW fans got fed up with hearing the same thing every week. If you're going to get the worst vote, you need to bring something differently bad to the table each week. KLC has done that, at least.

Or maybe even VFTW people hold Beatles songs as so sacred that they must punish the worst transgressor. If only it had been Barbra Streisand week, Amanda woulda been home free.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-20-08 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Carly in the bottom 3 due to the "argue with Simon" factor... Glad Amanda is gone. Damn I couldnt take her screech out and mumble one more week.
Old 03-20-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was actually rather happy to see Smithson in the bottom 3. After all the pimping for her, it shows that the audience isn't as stupid as the producers think. The fans know a snow job when they see one, thus the backlash. The right person went home though, child.

Looking forward to ALW if they're doing show tunes or songs from just his shows. Who's going to do "Memory"? Or "I Don't Know How to Love Him"?
Old 03-20-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
In all those shots in the audience of Carly's husband and family I didn't see her husband anywhere, and he's kind of hard to miss. I wouldn't have been upset to see her go either, not b/c she was the worst, but b/c she's been severely overpraised.

Her husband was there this week... both nights.
She said in TvGuide that he's a fighter and won't be able to be there every week.. something about him looking beat up. (Like anyone would/could notice)
Old 03-20-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I'd be down for a Neil Diamond night. A career of 40+ years, 36 top 40 hits ... he's earned it. At least he's not one of those guys with a standards CD to push.

They are ALWAYS pushing something....

Breaking news: Neil's new CD will be entitled Home Before Dark, and is tentatively set for release in the USA on April 29th. Available in deluxe or regular version. Click below to pre-order from Amazon.com and get your CD in the mail on the release date.
Old 03-20-08, 08:28 AM
Banned

I'm a big fan of Neil Diamond's sixties work (including some of his songs that became big hits for others, like "I'm a Believer")...and an equally big hater of his seventies-on pablum. Really liked his most recent CD (I think it was just called "12"...it was a throwback to his earlier stripped-down style and quite good). Hope his new CD continues that trend.

For a listen to a good cover of a Neil classic, check out the Sidewinders' take on "Solitary Man". Really good...while I like Neil's vocals on the original, the newer version replaces the regrettable horns on the chorus with a scorching guitar solo. The original production kind of reminds me of the mariachi band-horns of "Ring of Fire"...you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Whoever's lucky will get a great song like "Kentucky Woman", "Cherry, Cherry", or my favorite (next to Solitary Man)..."I Got the Feeling (Oh, No,No)".

Anyway, you can bet that David Cook is furiously Youtubing trying to find some rock versions of these songs. Good luck with Dolly, Dave....would LOL if they assigned "Coat of Many Colors" for him to do.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-20-08 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Good luck with Dolly, Dave....would LOL if they assigned "Coat of Many Colors" for him to do.
He can just do a rock version of her cover of Shine.
Old 03-20-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Her husband was there this week... both nights.
She said in TvGuide that he's a fighter and won't be able to be there every week.. something about him looking beat up. (Like anyone would/could notice)
Her tattoo's and her husband are the reasons a lot of people are turned off by her. She is easily the best female singer there. It's not even close. I think some people also don't like that she already had a chance in this business.
Old 03-20-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
He can just do a rock version of her cover of Shine.
What's the purpose of doing theme weeks if they don't make the artist perform in the genre of the theme? Not much. Which is why the theme weeks are moronic.
Old 03-20-08, 09:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BDLOU
What's the purpose of doing theme weeks if they don't make the artist perform in the genre of the theme? Not much. Which is why the theme weeks are moronic.
I remember in the first season they had the kids not only sing in the genre, they put them in costumes and everything.
Old 03-20-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Her tattoo's and her husband are the reasons a lot of people are turned off by her. She is easily the best female singer there. It's not even close. I think some people also don't like that she already had a chance in this business.
That's not it for me. I have no problem with her being there even if she already had a contract or a record released. She doesnt do a thing for me. She has never connected to me through her singing. I honestly dont like a thing about her...her tone of her voice, her looks, her personality or her stage presence. I even think she is hard to watch...she shuts her eyes so much and her mouth makes this weird shape when she screams her high notes. I know, its picky stuff, but thats how it hits me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.