TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jezebel James?

Old 03-18-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRG
I just figured out I can't stand Parker Posey.
As much as I like her, yeah, her shtick can get annoying. I will say, though, that it was what made Scream 3 watchable.
Old 03-19-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Finally watched both episodes last night.

I did notice the house/apartment switch too. Even my wife (who rarely notices such things) commented "Isn't this apartment different than the one we saw 20 minutes ago?" I can only guess that they filmed the pilot and the first episode so far apart that they couldn't replicate the first apartment. Any clue how far apart they were made?

But to the show- the sad thing is that the writing IS actually good, but because of the forced laughter, it gets lost. It actually could be a good show if they moved it off of video and onto film, and stopped with the laugh track, because it actually forces the dialogue to flow poorly. Without trying to work around pauses where the canned laughter would fit, the show might work.

But as above posters have said, the time slot will relegate it to a 6-episode run.

-jason
Old 03-19-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I also thought there was something odd with the whole diner scene in the first episode... in HD, at least, it looked like the shots of Parker Posey were very grainy compared to those of her sister. Anyone else notice this? Did they replace the actress playing the sister or something (since she only shows up at the very end of the first ep anyway)?
Old 03-19-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did they replace the actress playing the sister or something (since she only shows up at the very end of the first ep anyway)?
No, they did not.
Old 03-19-08, 02:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After watching both episodes, I can't figure out what they are trying to do with this show. In the first episode they seem to set up Posey's character as a stick-in-the-mud type, but in the second episode she's suddenly the super quirky and goofy one. It's like she changed from 'Emily Gilmore' to 'Lorelai Gilmore' in between the two episodes. She's neurotic in both, but the other core character traits seem to have shifted.

I also agree this felt like it should have been a comedic drama. Supposedly Paladino missed doing sitcoms because that's where she started out, but her writing here would clearly work better if this were set up more like Gilmore Girls.
Old 03-21-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. That was even worse than the first two. Still, I'm just crazy enough about Parker Posey and Lauren Ambrose that know I'm not gonna be able to avoid next week's disaster. I try and look away, but I just can't.

I'm getting flashbacks to not being able to stop myself from watching 'Date Movie' just cause Alyson Hannigan was in it. This isn't quite that bad (yet), but it's close.

Originally Posted by DRG
I think I envy you a little.

Sometimes life is hard, huh? I'm torn between hoping that it maybe gets retooled and becomes watchable and hoping that they just put it out of my misery and let everyone involved find work on something decent that's actually of some value.
Old 03-22-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Yeah, me too. She keeps the same facial expression and whiny tone for all of her lines, plus she sounds like she's having an asthma attack. This is the queen of the indies? In 22 minutes I went from having no opinion about her, to dark hatred. Ambrose was a lot better.
Old 03-22-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rent "Party Girl". I have loved Posey since that movie.

This last episode was really bad. The awkward jokes about the people from Iowa were so clunky and lame.
Old 03-22-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Watched the first two episodes just to catch how Lauren Ambrose would fare in a sitcom... and the show is pretty blah. Ambrose works much better in dramas and deserves better roles. She was good in "Starting out in the Evening".

While watching the first episode I had a feeling the house would be changed because the producers/writers would feel that a couple young single women in NY would work better in the middle of the city instead of the outskirts. Sure enough, they changed it to an apartment. It would give them more material perhaps.

Now the apartment is a MONSTER. No way an editor can afford something so huge in NY. The only explanation I can come up with is that since Posey's character brought the idea/concept of Jezebel James to the author/publishing company, and since the book seems to be popular and a big seller, she got very well compensated for this. And maybe this will be brought up in an episode where Coco finds out about the big compensation and feels that she should get a cut since it originated from her anyways.
Old 03-22-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, I guess I'm the only person that liked the third episode.
Old 03-23-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Geez, I guess I'm the only person that liked the third episode.
I liked that episode but they need to get rid of the laugh track. I know how to laugh.
Old 03-24-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim25
I liked that episode but they need to get rid of the laugh track. I know how to laugh.
But do you know when to laugh? Apparently, whoever does the laugh track doesn't.
Old 03-24-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the exception of the Chris Guest movies, I can't stand Parker Posey but I gave this a shot because of ASP... what a piece of shit. Worst laugh track in recent memory and it was pretty boring overall... Gilmore girls type dialogue but horrible execution.
Old 03-24-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buh-bye

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7589
FOX SAYS GOODBYE TO 'JEZEBEL JAMES'
By The Futon Critic Staff (TFC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- It's the end of the road for "The Return of Jezebel James."

FOX confirmed this afternoon it has pulled the plug on the freshman comedy. Repeats of "Bones" will return to the Friday, 8:00/7:00c hour beginning this week.

The relocated "Canterbury's Law" will remain at 9:00/8:00c. Here's a recap:

Fridays (March 28-April 11)
8:00/7:00c - "Bones" (Repeats)
9:00/8:00c - "Canterbury's Law" (New Time Period)

Friday, April 18
8:00/7:00c - "House" (Repeat)
9:00/8:00c - "Canterbury's Law" (Season Finale)

Fridays (as of April 25)
8:00/7:00c - "FOX Friday Night Movie"

As for "James," it's not clear if FOX will make the four remaining produced installments available on its web site or elsewhere. The show's most recent airing posted an invisible 1.1 adults 18-49 rating where it barely edged out a repeat of "Grey's Anatomy" on ABC (1.0 rating) for fourth place in its time period.

Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino were the executive producers of the series, a co-production of Regency Television and Fox Television Studios.
Old 03-24-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't say I'm too sad to see it go. I think Parker wasn't right for the part, and the part wasn't right for anyone. Gotta lay the blame on ASP for this egg.
Old 03-25-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Despite not liking it much, I'm not in favor of a network jumping the gun and cancelling something after just a couple of airings. Give it a chance to make an impact.
Old 03-25-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
So they got halway through their ordered run... FOX had to know this was a stinker to program it on Friday to begin with. Pair that with the fact that I saw zero promotion for the show.

Didn't Canterbury's Law just START? "Season Finale" after only four episodes? Shifting IT from Monday sounds like FOX is putting that show to bed as well. If New Amsterdam wasn't wrapping next week, I'd say they'd be next on the chopping block.
Old 03-25-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Didn't Canterbury's Law just START? "Season Finale" after only four episodes?
The writer's strike caused many of these midseason replacement shows to have very few episodes filmed. I think the networks are just burning these off, to see if any catch on. (Not likely.)

Cashmere Mafia, Lipstick Jungle have already finished their "seasons". I think there is only a few left of Unhitched and Miss Guided.
Old 03-25-08, 12:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this teaches ASP that old-school sitcoms are no longer her "thing", and that maybe next time she'll come back with something that's more up her alley.
Old 03-25-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has she ever successfully "upstarted" an "old school" sitcom in the first place? She came into Roseanne when it was already a well established show (#1 in the ratings).

This chick has the biggest hard-on. Hopefully this cancellation knocked this big-head down a few notches. I hate reading interviews with her and/or her husband. Truly think they are the bread and butter - they are so wrong.

Last edited by conscience; 03-25-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-26-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Despite not liking it much, I'm not in favor of a network jumping the gun and cancelling something after just a couple of airings. Give it a chance to make an impact.

It made an impact already. It impacted millions of us to find something else to do while this was being broadcast.
Old 03-26-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Um, excuse me? Allow me to introduce you, Charlie Goose, FOX. FOX, Charlie Goose. There.