Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HIMYM Cast/Guest news

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
HIMYM Cast/Guest news

Britney will guest star on CBS' `Mother' By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer
1 minute ago

NEW YORK - Britney Spears' upcoming appearance on the CBS show "How I Met Your Mother" could be — to borrow scene-stealer Barney's favorite word — legendary.

Spears will guest star in a March 24 episode of the cult series, CBS spokeswoman Kelli Raftery told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Spoiler:
The pop star will portray a receptionist in a dermatologist's office named Abby who becomes "smitten" with Ted (Josh Radnor),
Raftery said.

Craig Thomas, the show's creator, told Usmagazine.com that Spears attended a table reading with the cast on Monday, and that her scenes will probably be filmed later this week. He said representatives for Spears approached the CBS about "Mother" because "she was looking for a small part on a funny show. to show up her ex-husband in tv guest appearances."

Spears has previous TV sitcom experience playing a character on a 2006 episode of "Will and Grace." She was also the host and musical guest on "Saturday Night Live" in 2000.

"How I Met Your Mother," returning Monday with all-new episodes following the writers strike, co-stars Radnor, Jason Segal, Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders and Neil Patrick Harris as twentysomethings living in New York City. Harris portrays serial bachelor Barney Stinson, who frequently uses the word "legendary" to describe his various exploits.

Spears has been under the conservatorship of her father, James, following bizarre behavior and two hospitalizations. She is also locked in a custody battle with ex-husband Kevin Federline over the former couple's sons, Jayden James, 1, and Sean Preston, 2.
Old 03-11-08, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yuk. I don't think even Barney would touch that. Should be good for the ratings, at least.
Old 03-11-08, 01:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if it brings new people to sample the show and the episode doesn't suck, I'm okay with it.
Old 03-11-08, 02:24 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
The news of Britney Spears' upcoming appearance on How I Met Your Mother shocked not only the public, but the show's stars as well.

"I was shocked that Madame Spears was willing to come and do some acting! She hasn't acted in a while," Neil Patrick Harris, who plays the womanizing Barney, tells Entertainment Tonight.

Nevertheless, the Emmy-nominated actor thinks Brit would do well on the sitcom with her "very interesting role." Confirming early reports that the 26-year-old is playing a worker at Ted's (Josh Radnor) doctor's office, Neil provides a tad more detail.

"She plays the secretary to another girl that Ted is after," he says. "It will be very unlike any Britney we have seen before, and we have seen a lot of Britney recently."

But don't expect to see a lot of Britney on set. Because the CBS hit films on a closed set, the 34-year-old doesn't expect to deal with the swarm of paparazzi that follows the pop star everywhere.

However, he does consider the idea that the onslaught of paps and her year-long erratic behavior are not at all what they seem to be.

"What if she shows up on set and she is absolutely, totally normal and that whole thing has been a big ruse? She is smoking a cigarette and [says], 'Oh yes, it is all a big bit. I have a master plan.'"

For more on Neil, tune in to ET tonight!

source
Old 03-11-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts
"...and that, children, is how I met Britney Spears... or 'mom' to you."
Old 03-11-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
"...and that, children, is how I met Britney Spears... or 'mom' to you."
That was funny
Old 03-11-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More importantly --
Originally Posted by Ausiello Report
Spoiler:
HIMYM/Britney Fallout: Silverstone Out, Chalke In!

Britney Spears' havoc-wreaking cameo on How I Met Your Mother has already claimed its first victim. A Mother insider confirms that Alicia Silverstone — who was slated to appear in a multi-episode arc as Ted's dermatologist/lover — has dropped out and will be replaced by Scrubs' Sarah Chalke.

Pink Is the New Blog reports that Silverstone bowed out because her reps (understandably) feared she would be overshadowed by Spears, who, per my sources, will play an assistant to the dermatologist now being portrayed by Chalke. As a result, I'm hearing Mother bosses Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have reconceived the female doc character. Originally slated to appear in multiple episodes, she'll now be in just one — mostly because that's all Chalke's schedule will allow. The diminished screen time would also seem to eliminate any hope there was of her being Ted's future yellow-umbrella-carrying wife (aka the "Mother").

But Mother still has big plans for Silverstone. "[Bays and Thomas] love Alicia," whispers my mole, "and they intend to create another character for her."

All of this begs a critical question: Is Spears worth the headache? Provided she brings in enough viewers to get Mother off CBS' endangered list, I reckon she is!
The spoiler is VERY mild.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...alke/700018100
Old 03-11-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
according to tv.com, new episodes start airing sunday march 16th. why'd they swicth from monday?
Old 03-11-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Wow, the casting for this show really digs up some stars that we haven't seen (acting) in a while. Seriously, what was Neil Patrick Harris doing before this show? Or Danica McKellar, Alicia Silverstone, or Spears?
Old 03-11-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renew this... please. That is all I truly care about.
Old 03-11-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
As much as I hate the idea of Britney being on HIMYM, I hated the idea of K-fed being on One tree hill, and that didn't turn out to be so bad. Maybe it will be good for her, and might boost the show's ratings.
Old 03-11-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
for a small part on a funny show.
Why did you post this news if you were only going to on HIMYM, a lot of people here are fans of the show.
Old 03-11-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Why did you post this news if you were only going to on HIMYM, a lot of people here are fans of the show.
I love the show, but I think ex-Mrs. Federline is looking for more attention (or did you not read the rest of what I wrote?).
Old 03-11-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
according to tv.com, new episodes start airing sunday march 16th. why'd they swicth from monday?
Must be a mistake by TV.com. CBS.com and all commercials have been saying that HIMYM is still on Mondays. However, the time slot has been switched with The Big Bang Theory. HIMYM will now air at 8:30.

I have no idea why the change was made. Either way, I hope it gets more viewers. The Big Bang Theory found a way to do well at that time slot.
Old 03-11-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it helps to extend the life of the show, I'm all for it.
Old 03-11-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd still rather have Silverstone than Spears...
Old 03-11-08, 06:50 PM

I would rather have Chalke than Silverstone.
Old 03-12-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Seriously, what was Neil Patrick Harris doing before this show?
Playing a straight version of himself in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle right before this show came on the air? Please, everyone was working before getting a gig on this show. It ain't like they yanked someone like Eddie Mekka (Carmine "The Big Ragoo" Ragusa from Laverne & Shirley) out of the woodwork...
Old 03-12-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I have no idea why the change was made. Either way, I hope it gets more viewers. The Big Bang Theory found a way to do well at that time slot.
Because Big Bang Theory is funny. HIWYM, on the other hand...

They have jacked around with the audience for three years. From the first episode, we knew Robin was not "the mother", so why do they keep trying to force the two characters together? They should have advanced the "how I met" part a long time ago, and not waited until they were in danger of cancellation.
Old 03-12-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I love the show, but I think ex-Mrs. Federline is looking for more attention (or did you not read the rest of what I wrote?).
Yeah the more I think about it, I just read it wrong. Your probably right this is just her way of trying to get attention.
Old 03-12-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
... the CBS hit films on a closed set...
I'm just happy to hear the show referred to as a "hit" rather than as being on the cancellation bubble.
Old 03-12-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Playing a straight version of himself in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle right before this show came on the air?
I also believe he was in a production of RENT at one point. I really don't care who they guest star. As long as it stays funny, they can get whoever they want.
Old 03-12-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I also believe he was in a production of RENT at one point.
[aside]He played Marc Cohen in (the "Benny Tour") production in 1997 - a while back![/aside]
Old 03-12-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenage
I would rather have Chalke than Silverstone.
Will Ted get to ride the tricycle again with Robin and Sarah? I hope so.
Old 03-12-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kal-El
I also believe he was in a production of RENT at one point.
He also played Lee Harvey Oswald in a Broadway production of Steven Sondheim's ASSASSINS.