Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American's Best Dance Crew

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 09:41 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
American's Best Dance Crew

Yes it's got that tosser Mario Lopez as a host. Yes it's got that other tosser from NSync as a judge, yes it has that stupid rap chick as another judge

At least Shane Sparks as the third judge is cool

But the actual talent is very good, the Top 3 crews especially are great to watch, That's the only reason i watch it

Kaba Modern and Jabberwockeys are awesome.

Their ensemble pieces which is of course what they do are much better than the group performances on So you think you can dance and of course because they are focusing on dancing only, lightyears above Dance War.
Old 03-10-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love Love Love Kaba Modern....if jabberwockies are the ones with the mask, I like them too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MFawN-yw_E4&feature=related

Last edited by magiccmom; 03-10-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
My girlfriend's been watching this but I just watched the last episode with the Michael Jackson songs. I dig the JabbaWockeez stuff, they're pretty cool. Kaba Modern is from here in Irvine; my roomate knows one of the girls on there. I like them too.

The rest of the crews are pretty crummy though.
Old 03-11-08, 06:52 PM

I just started watching this a few weeks ago and I am hooked. This is what a dance show should be, but they need to replace the judges that are not Sparks. They need to drop off BreakSkate in the next round. I heard that MTV just gave this the green light for a second season. This is the only show in years that I actually watch on MTV.
Old 03-12-08, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw a couple episodes for the first time. I was trying to figure out why the big guy from the Status Quo team looked familiar and realized he's the swing dancer from last year's SYTYCD auditions!
Old 03-12-08, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by cerulean
I just saw a couple episodes for the first time. I was trying to figure out why the big guy from the Status Quo team looked familiar and realized he's the swing dancer from last year's SYTYCD auditions!
My daughter said that! We werent sure but if you think so too, I'm thinking it def. was him!
Old 03-12-08, 10:46 PM

Yeah, it's him.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1xT_yBz91s&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1xT_yBz91s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The swing dance starts about halfway through. That's one of the funniest auditions on any of these talent shows, ever!
Old 03-12-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His teammate was also on So You Think You Can Dance. Although, I think his teammate made it a little farther than he did. In the SYTYCD audition, his teammate (the little one) did a flip off the stage.
Old 03-13-08, 12:20 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Jabberwockeys made an appearance in the movie Step Up 2 the Streets

There are tons of Kaba Modern vids on youtube from their hip hop comps
Old 03-21-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure if anyone else is still watching this... sucks that Kaba Modern is out. I don't see how anyone could think Status Quo is better.
Old 03-21-08, 03:09 AM

I like status quo.. I like how they can pull off and nail all them crazy stunts.. kaba moderns performance tonight was week compared to jabberwackys.. so they had a dance off tonight.. does that mean they won't have one next week?
Old 03-21-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not sure if anyone else is still watching this... sucks that Kaba Modern is out. I don't see how anyone could think Status Quo is better.
I agree 100%. That final dance off between KM and JW was pretty damn awesome. SQ not in the same league. They just have a few guys that are better gymnasts.
Old 03-21-08, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I agree 100%. That final dance off between KM and JW was pretty damn awesome. SQ not in the same league. They just have a few guys that are better gymnasts.
I also agree. All that tumbling is just meant to confuse you..."Hey, we really can't dance!"

The future of me watching this show again hinges on Jabberwocky winning the title.
Old 03-22-08, 02:07 PM

I also am in the "should be JW and KM in the finals" camp. Both groups are much more dance "crews" than SQ. SQ seems like a bunch of folks thrown together and told to all do their individual thing really good. The first time I watched the performances on the finals show, I was worried because JW second performance was certainly not as good as the tribute to hip hop previous one. It was smooth, cool and better than SQ, but I hope folks don't get fooled by all the clown costumes and trampoline jumps etc. Those are great, but again it was all over the place and not together. After watching JW on the ReplayTV a second time, their second performance was actually much more intricate than I thought. The guy doing the windmill up front was actually timing the windmill to the song which was awesome.
There is no way JW can lose. This was the first show I've watched on MTV in years and years. Also, does MTV normally start their shows a few minutes after the hour or are they doing live shows that spill over? Seems my timing is off on all the MTV recordings. Looking forward to the next season. Really enjoyed this show.
Old 03-22-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, very disappointing that the public put Status Quo into the finals over Kaba Modern. The somersaults are nice and all, but Kaba has done some crazy shit week after week and are very tight as a team. They really deserved the chance to lose to Jabba in the finals.

I never really liked Breaksk8, but I have to give them credit for that "Beat It" routine. That was insane.

What I really love about this show, and it's similar to Dancing with the Stars in this capacity, is that there's no real pretense of future success. All the douchebags on American Idol think they're the greatest thing ever and are demanding a shortcut to "superstardom". Even Dance War was all about "winning" and becoming the "next great dance team" or some bullshit like that. What's great about Crew is that these people are thrilled beyond belief that anyone is paying attention to them at all. The chance to take their life's work to a national audience is such a huge deal to them, and they're all so grateful just to be a part of it. I'm significantly more interested in and entertained by shows that are positive and are about expression of the art more than money or fame. Sure, there's some exposure here, and maybe some of the people will parlay the appearance into a few extra bucks, but it's clearly not the driving force behind these performances, and I love that.

das
Old 03-24-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to say it but I will: I think the reason why a superior dance team (Kaba Modern) lost out to a shitty "dance" crew (Status Quo) hinged on the demographics of the majority of people who watch MTV . . .
Old 03-25-08, 08:42 PM

Well some people have said that since Status is from the East Coast they got all the votes from that region while Jabba and Kabba are from the West Coast and split some votes. Mario did say that the voting was close but as usual they do not tell us what the numbers were so we will never know how close they actually were. I hope Jabba wins and I think having a whole week to vote will help them out.
Old 03-28-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't believe no one's posted tonight...

Spoiler:

Congrats Jabba!

Old 03-28-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was happy to see Jabba win, since they were the best, but I was starting to feel a little bad for Status Quo, who clearly needed the victory more (both emotionally and financially). However, that kind of went away when Jabba said all kinds of great things about SQ, and SQ didn't return the respect.

It was cool to see some of the crews perform together, but that Stomp the Yard routine was terrible. It sucked all the energy and individuality out of the show with incredibly generic choreography.

Hopefully the next season will be good as well.

das
Old 03-28-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I was happy to see Jabba win, since they were the best, but I was starting to feel a little bad for Status Quo, who clearly needed the victory more (both emotionally and financially).

das
I thought the same thing as you can tell SQ really wanted to win badly... But I think they will be ok and will probabaly get a good amount of work from this as they seem to be pretty good athletes and performers. JW was just a juggernaut and they truly were amazing...

Cant wait to see how round 2 goes.
Old 03-28-08, 11:38 AM

Interestingly enough, I was just thinking today about what the heck all these folks do now other than go back home and post little videos of themselves on their MySpace accounts and I guess just go back to their jobs. Which with this post-show lack of a sure shot at "superstardom," I agree with das, actually made the participants and competition better relative to American Idol.
And, I would actually be much more inclined to pay and see a show with these folks in it, much more than I would to go and see any of the seasons of American Idol top 10's in concert. I wonder if MTV or Randy Jackson is going to take them on some tour? Maybe not a big enough fan base yet for the show though? I don't know I'm just a 35 year old CPA who's watching it out of love for his old school cardboard, pumas, inchers, and breakdancing back in my Miami days.

(Actually in the end I probably would not pay to see even that show, since it would probably be much of what I've already seen... and the fact that I'm a tight-wad.)

Oh, and congrats to Jabba. I don't see how the new crews can top them. They seemed to have it all with originality, moves, crew-ness. Sparks was right that they have set the standard for all the future shows. I'd almost rather a weekly show with JW and Kabba to come out and just do an hour of different dances. See you back this summer for season 2.
Old 03-29-08, 01:04 AM

Glad that Jabba won but that final show was brutal to watch.