Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol 3/4-3/6 Top 16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 3/4-3/6 Top 16

Old 03-04-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it will never happen, but if Amanda actually sings #4 after my comment last week, child, I'll dial until my fingers bleed.

das
Old 03-04-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think that was VFTW just was picking the 16 worst songs that could have been sung.
Old 03-04-08, 07:50 PM

First time I actually liked David Cook...in fact, that "Hello" performance and Jason's "Hallelujiah" were amazing. Those were defining performances.
Old 03-04-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ha! I told you Luke's really a woman!

I'm also correct that Adam David Archuleta was built in the American Idol secret labs. His most embarrassing moment was a fund raiser in Honduras? Let me guess -- his biggest weakness is too many strengths? I bet he travels to the future and writes songs for Wyld Stallyns to bring about world peace and the key to ultimate truth. Man, it's going to hurt when the backlash hits.

Danny's most embarrassing moment is that outfit, that hair, those shoes, and let's just say that entire performance. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it -- why is he wasting that voice on karaoke performances like this? And what's with all the freakin' wool scarves this season? They're in California (and indoors).

I bet David Hernandez would like to amend his most embarrassing moment too. Still, I think he's got a great voice, and I'll back anyone who performs Steinman.

Michael wants to show the world what kind of "oddist" he'll be? At least his story didn't sound contrived. Not too bad an interpretation of "Simple Minds", either (no, Randy, it's not an INXS song ). Simon's right, though. Lots of talent, but he hasn't found the right song yet.

God, that hair is ridiculous. Cook wants to convince us he's some rock star, and he covers Lionel Richie? No, it is not you I'm looking for, but it wasn't too shabby. And of course it would be a hit today. All they play on the radio is whiny emo crap. I never considered "Hello" to be whiny emo crap, but there's a first time for everything.

Just as I'm about to berate Castro for ruining my prediction by picking such an amazing song, whoops! Where'd the vocals go?

I really like Chikezie. He brings a level of genuine emotion and performance that this show desperately needs from the dudes. I hope he sticks around. So, I guess that means he's gone.

das
Old 03-04-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Luke Menard - He picked a good song choice for his vocal range, but he didn't quite sell it while he was singing the song, he didn't go far enough to build up the energy inherent in that song. He also missed on a low note towards the very end of the song, like he ran out of gas.

David Archuleta - he provided some silky smooth notes throughout the song, but he got a little too loud when he transistioned away from the piano to the stage, and sometimes it looks like his tongue gets in the way of his singing, that makes it a little distracting when watching him sing.

Danny Noriega - I thought he sang the song in too low of a key, and it made the song sound too subdued, but what he lacked in vocal finesse, he made up for in the performance in terms of stage presense. He at least looks like he's trying to give a vocal performance with a little zest during the song.

David Hernandez - Taking on a Celine Dion song by a male is always risky, but he did okay, but he started singing from the back of his throat through the tail end of the song, so it sounded odd as he went for the big finish. Overall, a consistent effort that didn't leave him embarrassed for tackling that song.

Michael Johns - I thought he needed to find a jacket that actually fit him because it was distracting to watch him keep tugging the jacket toward the middle. I didn't like how his voice lost the melody that the end when he started screaming the lyrics. It was an average performance that just didn't connect with me.

David Cook - I wasn't digging it until the chorus kicked in because it sounded really thin (the guitar, mainly), but then the chorus swelled and totally settled in a groove for the rest of the song, and it was a nice change of pace considering the "pop" pedigree of the song, he made the song relevant again today. Nice job!

Jason Castro - I thought his performance was a little on the labored side. To me, his vocal range sounded even smaller with this song, so I can't really say it was a song that makes a statement for Jason to stay. I'm definitely contrary to what any of the judges said about Jason's performance.

Chikeze - He started out well, but he got a little loose with the middle of the song, and then the transistion from the falsetto to the last note was just a little awkward.

Rankings

Worth listening to again and again:
David Cook

Worth listening to again:
David Hernandez
David Archuleta

Once was enough:
Michael Johns
Jason Castro
Chikeze

Put them out of their misery, please:
Danny
Luke

I think Luke Menard and Danny Noriega are going home (but wouldn't be surprise if it's Jason Castro, and Luke that go home).
Old 03-04-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Luke has to be gone after that turd.

How can little David sing? He can't even talk w/out losing his breath. I'm tired of hearing him speak and his laugh. I thought he finally had a bad performance tonight.
Old 03-04-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Danny Noriega was awesome as usual. I'm going to try to get another rounds of votes for him but I've been getting the "all circuits are busy".
Old 03-04-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

awesome - Danny just shot himself in the foot w/ that performance. That was laughable.
Old 03-04-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The stripper brought out the suck, too.
Old 03-04-08, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, am I the only one who heard Simon say something about stripping right when David Hernandez finished? I thought it was "I like the way he stripped it down," or something like that, then Randy laughed.
Old 03-04-08, 08:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Man, it's going to hurt when the backlash hits.
I am getting *this* close to the tipping point. I mean, the homeless p.s.a. he did after his song, yikes.
Old 03-04-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael and David saved the ep from being completely inept.

Although, David needs to quit posing and preening for the camera.
Old 03-04-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, Randy was so lame confusing Simple Minds with INXS. When Michael Johns was performing, I was actually thinking I would like him to perform an INXS song, so when Randy started talking about Aussies bringing it home and Michael Hutchence, I was like WTF. I noticed his friends/families shared WTF looks also.

I like David Cook's take on Hello, although I could do without his sneer face. I kept thinking it would have been funny if they would have cut to Randy modeling a big head of clay.

I actually enjoyed Danny Noriega's version of Tainted Love. He has a very over the top stage presence though.
Old 03-04-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Let me guess -- his biggest weakness is too many strengths? I bet he travels to the future and writes songs for Wyld Stallyns to bring about world peace and the key to ultimate truth.
This was absolutely brilliant, das.
Old 03-04-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That second half of the show was much more tolerable than the first.
Old 03-04-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts
All I know is when David Cook started singing the rock version of Hello my mouth was agape. Just the idea of taking that kind of risk made me appreciate him.

Archuleta shouldn't have started out on the piano. I think it distracted him, and I didn't like his pandering for votes at the end either.

On the opposite end of doing something new and fresh was Luke's stuck in the 80s Wham performance. If you're going to sing George Michael there are other songs to sing. There are even other upbeat songs to sing; he picked such a dated song.

Since Randy keeps comparing Michael to Michael Hutchence I wonder when he will break out the INXS.

It's time for Danny to go away.
Old 03-04-08, 08:50 PM
Cool New Member

David Archuleta
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhDWJoGpQCk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhDWJoGpQCk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by popatlaal; 03-05-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm picking Luke for my pool for sure. And probably Danny.
Old 03-04-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say David Hernandez will conveniently be voted off thanks to the whole stripper controversy, and Luke... just because he sucks.
Old 03-04-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I'd say David Hernandez will conveniently be voted off thanks to the whole stripper controversy, and Luke... just because he sucks.

Hernandez sucks too When I said in another thread there are several (obvious) gay guys on this season, he was one of them IMO. More stories and pictures are going to surface about him.
Old 03-04-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Luke is like a forgotten member of the Osmond family. That smile while he sings is fake and creepy.
Old 03-04-08, 09:05 PM
Cool New Member

David Cook
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTaJB_-TDSU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTaJB_-TDSU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Michael Johns
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2hhSM2EryEY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2hhSM2EryEY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by popatlaal; 03-05-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 09:07 PM

David Archuletta is so contrived. He was determined to get his "help out the homeless" story in there no matter what.
Old 03-04-08, 09:29 PM

I really hope David Cook's hair is voted off. Some might see it as a desperate attempt to be Daughtry, but I'll be happy I don't have to look at such a desperate attempt to avoid accepting the truth.
Old 03-04-08, 09:31 PM
Cool New Member

Danny Noriega
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tYRkygNab_g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tYRkygNab_g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by popatlaal; 03-05-08 at 08:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.