Reload this Page >

Jane Fonda Uses Vulgar Slang on 'Today'

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jane Fonda Uses Vulgar Slang on 'Today'

Old 02-15-08, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
She did a lot worse than just taking a few photos. During her trip she made almost a dozen propaganda radio broadcasts for the enemy denouncing the US, praising the North Vietnam military and asking US soldiers to lay down their arms. She also said the North Vietnamese were treating US POWs humanely, unlike NV POWs in US camps who actually were being tortured. Even after the war when POWs returned to give horrifying accounts of their capture she called them liars and killers, who should be treated like war criminals, not heroes.
So. Both sides tortured. Read a book.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Believe it or not, the FCC basis it on what "reasonable" people might consider obscene. I would guess if you ran into a Mall and yelled "****!" most people, women in particular, would be highly offended. I know girls who go nuts when called "****". You can call them "Bitch" but once you call them a "****" all bets are off.

Either way, as far as I can tell the FCC isn't even on this Fonda thing...yet.
Context, my Arnold Governator-governed friend. She was discussing it in context, not screaming it in a mall while running. If in the process of an intellectual conversation, an individual on television utters the word "cock" while discussing cock-fighting, dog-fighting, or any type of animal fighting for sport, would that be "obscene" and "vulgar"?

E
Old 02-15-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
AND .....

? *shrugs*

E
I guess being a traitor to your country isn't a big deal to you???

Wow.
Old 02-15-08, 11:38 PM
Suspended

So she was tried and convicted for treason?

Who pardoned her?

E
Old 02-15-08, 11:48 PM

Public opinion.
Who pardoned her?
The Vietnamese.
Old 02-15-08, 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=dan30oly]I guess being a traitor to your country isn't a big deal to you???

I would think the real traitors are those that involved us in that war in the first place.
Old 02-16-08, 12:10 AM

[QUOTE=Lastyear]
Originally Posted by dan30oly
I guess being a traitor to your country isn't a big deal to you???

I would think the real traitors are those that involved us in that war in the first place.
:sigh: we had a treaty signed by a previous administration and had to fulfill our obligation.

The "real" traitors were those who de-funded the war and defeated America from withen.

Last edited by dan30oly; 02-16-08 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-16-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

das
Old 02-16-08, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Context, my Arnold Governator-governed friend. She was discussing it in context, not screaming it in a mall while running. If in the process of an intellectual conversation, an individual on television utters the word "cock" while discussing cock-fighting, dog-fighting, or any type of animal fighting for sport, would that be "obscene" and "vulgar"?

E

You are correct. Context is factored in while determining obscenity over the air. But that's just 1 part of the pie. Time of day is also a factor. The hours of 6a-10p is considered outside of the "safe harbor" for broadcasting and the show in question was on -after- 6a. They've determined the children are most likely to listen between 6a-10p. Between 10p-6a there is more leeway, but you still CAN'T say certain words no matter what the context. "Cock" probably wouldn't pull a fine, But you can bet it would get dumped if there was a delay being used and it would cause a stink if it was on a National TV Morning Show. But at the same time, if "Cock" was said on show that's airing late at night like "Loveline" which airs well within the 10p-6a "safe harbor", there would probably be less of an issue. But having heard the show, it still might get dumped or at the very least the Hosts would ask the speaker using the word to use the actual word "penis" or another word for it with less "punch" just to be on the safe side.

I'm -not- defending anyone, I'm -not- saying NBC should get in trouble, or that anyone should be fined. I'm just telling you how this stuff works.

I work in radio and we just had our Annual "Broadcast Responsibility" class which deals with this very topic. I got 100%

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-16-08 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-16-08, 03:36 PM
Banned

These Hollywood types always want to push this crap.
You have HBO for all that stuff to say on Bill Maher why talk like that when little kids are watching in the morning.
Old 02-16-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She should have just said "hoohaa."

http://www.news4jax.com/entertainmen...46/detail.html

ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. -- A modified marquee in Atlantic Beach has been drawing some attention. "Hoohaa" replaced a word in the title of a play after a driver complained about finding the previous wording offensive.

The marquis for Atlantic Theaters advertises a number of plays including, the Masquerade Ball, Band Jam, and now The Hoohaa Monologues.
Old 02-16-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
HooHaa?!

People need to get a life!
Old 02-17-08, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaun3000
What's the difference between vagina and ****? They were using vagina in every other sentence talking about the play. **** was used in the same context.

BESIDES, the FCC ruled once before that context is the controlling factor in if a word is inappropriate or not. (As FUCKING ridiculous as that sounds) Bono (from U2) received some award on a live, televised awards show. Well he said something along the lines of, "This is fucking great!" The ****y-whores, er, watchdog groups got their ****y-panties in a wad about it, and the FCC said since he was using fuck as an adjective, it was OK.

So again, anyone getting upset about this (or ANY use of ANY fucking word) can go and FUCK themselves.
Well, I bet you're a lot of fun at the family reunions & 60th-Anniversary celebrations.
Old 02-17-08, 08:16 AM
Banned

Who pardoned her?

E

-notrolls-
Old 02-17-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
Has anyone else watched the clip? Fonda said that she was asked to perform the section of the Vagina Monologues named "****," but she declined because it would cause her too much grief.

Now she's getting grief anyway.
Old 02-17-08, 06:57 PM

Jesus fucking christ, who the fuck cares about a fucking ****. what the fuck
Old 02-17-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
You have HBO for all that stuff to say on Bill Maher why talk like that when little kids are watching in the morning.
I'm so sure she did it to push an agenda. It couldn't just be that she was talking like a normal person and didn't think to censor herself in time.

Last edited by Numanoid; 02-18-08 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 08:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Public opinion.
Same public who thought that Native Americans were savages and needed to be exterminated? Same public who felt that African Americans were an inferior race? Yeah. I see how someone like yourself would give so much importance to that public.

The Vietnamese.
Same Vietnamese who had clearly would have been democratically elected, but of course that's all a technicality, because we didn't desire democracy if it meant that the puppet tyrants weren't going to be in charge, so we did away with democracy. That's how democracy works. And it was a rhetorical question. She was never pardoned because she was never convicted, because she was never guilty of anything, considering she has done more for the troops than you or any other chickenhawk douchebag. I should know. I was a troop. Still am a troop.

E
Old 02-18-08, 08:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lastyear

E
Old 02-18-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Aren't most little kids at school then?
Old 02-18-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you or any other chickenhawk douchebag.
DeltaSigChi4, personal attacks are against forum rules. Please do not resort to name-calling.