Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV Land has replaced "All In The Family" with "Just Shoot Me"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still use my original DirecTiVo, which I guess is around 8 years old now, and whenever I go through my wish lists, I see one of the first ones I ever set up: Mannix on TV Land. I never delete it, serving as a painful reminder that MTV isn't, the Sci-Fi Channel isn't, and TV Land isn't .

das
Old 02-13-08, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Don't get offended, but is it really that much work to put in a f'n DVD? If it is (nothing wrong with that), buy a 400 disc player than.
I knew somebody was going to bring that up. No, it's not hard work, but I think we could all agree it's more work than just pressing a button on the TV remote. More spontaneous too.
Old 02-14-08, 09:33 AM

I think TVland should be 50-70s, and Nick at Nite 80-90s. I miss some of the above mentioned old shows, and TV Land got me into shows like Dennis the menace, Car 54, F-troop and other classics when I was a kid.
Old 02-14-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I am so glad we have Me-TV here in Chicago for a real classic TV lineup.

Here's their Winter lineup
http://www.metvchicago.com/pdf/Winte...-METV556AA.pdf

Every few months (probably seasonally/quarterly) they mix up the shows; rotating some in and some out for a while.
Old 02-14-08, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I kinda like JSM. Better than AITF anyway.
OK. But the whole point of TV Land is to show old shows, not new ones.
Old 02-14-08, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
So like...where can one go to catch old eps of AITF, then?
I don't think any national channel shows it now.
Old 02-14-08, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I really rather doubt Just Shoot Me will stick around too long.

I think you're right.
Old 02-14-08, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Give us a channel with nothing but old shows like TVLand used to be again

There is a channel like that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Television_Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ork_affiliates
Old 02-14-08, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chew
My local ABC affiliate just added Retro-Television Network to one of their digital subchannels.

With TVLand morphing into something completely different, RTN fills that classic TV void.
I agree.
Old 02-14-08, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
I like Just Shoot Me. It's weird that it's already on TV Land though.

That said, the dumbest scheduling change was when they got rid of Get Smart, can't recall what they replaced it with, but getting rid of it, period, sucked way worse.
Get Smart is on RTN.
Old 02-14-08, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
That's basically what TV Land already is. It seems everytime a network spins off a retro version it eventually switches to more modern programming. I think the old stuff can't draw the audience for the channels to make money. Most are probably free to the cable/satellite providers bundled with the other channels, no money there. Sci-Fi was spun off USA to show old 50s-70s stuff.Nix. VH-1 was spun off MTV to concentrate on videos so MTV could show crap. Nix. TBS spun off TNT to show the classic movies, then TNT spun off TCM(the last remaining oldies channel) so TNT could go modern. TNT spun off cartoon network to show classic Hanna-Barbera library, then spun off Boomerang to make CN modern. Don't get Boomerang, still classic? Nick-At-Night spun off TV Land so it could go modern and will probably become more current as time goes by. AMC became TBS. That's life in the 21st century.
I wonder if Turner Classic Movies is subsidized by Ted. Can't see how they can generate revenue being commercial free and most likely free to providers. Ted probably foots the bill and writes it off his taxes.

Those are all excellent observations.

I don't know anyone who gets Boomerang.
Old 02-14-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Silkk_34
I think TVland should be 50-70s, and Nick at Nite 80-90s. I miss some of the above mentioned old shows, and TV Land got me into shows like Dennis the menace, Car 54, F-troop and other classics when I was a kid.
Yeah! How about some SurfSide 6, Flying Nun or Gidget??!?!?! Jeez, I'd even settle for The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries from the 70's. That would ROCK!
Old 02-14-08, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
That's basically what TV Land already is. It seems everytime a network spins off a retro version it eventually switches to more modern programming. I think the old stuff can't draw the audience for the channels to make money. Most are probably free to the cable/satellite providers bundled with the other channels, no money there. Sci-Fi was spun off USA to show old 50s-70s stuff.Nix. VH-1 was spun off MTV to concentrate on videos so MTV could show crap. Nix. TBS spun off TNT to show the classic movies, then TNT spun off TCM(the last remaining oldies channel) so TNT could go modern. TNT spun off cartoon network to show classic Hanna-Barbera library, then spun off Boomerang to make CN modern. Don't get Boomerang, still classic? Nick-At-Night spun off TV Land so it could go modern and will probably become more current as time goes by. AMC became TBS. That's life in the 21st century.
I wonder if Turner Classic Movies is subsidized by Ted. Can't see how they can generate revenue being commercial free and most likely free to providers. Ted probably foots the bill and writes it off his taxes.

I've noticed this trend as well. It seems like every niche network has a lifespan of about 5 years or so before their programming starts to become more and more homogenous, until it becomes virtually indistinguishable from every other channel.

They might as well stop giving networks descriptive names and just call them all "Network #403," Network #526," etc.