Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 2008 -- Hollywood Auditions -- 02/12/08 and 02/13/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
American Idol 2008 -- Hollywood Auditions -- 02/12/08 and 02/13/08

Only two shows this week devoted to the Hollywood auditions. Today show is two hours while tomorrow is only one hour.

Here are the list and photos of all of the Hollywood contestants:

http://www.americanidol.com/hollywoodweek/
Old 02-12-08, 06:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
3 hours of Idol this week!

WOW!

Can't wait!
Old 02-12-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 hours?!? Bah! FIVE HOURS of Idol next week!!

Old 02-12-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate you, Tony Kornheiser.

das
Old 02-12-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Thank God! Now this is where we finally see some talented people. This is by far my favorite aspect of the Idol process.
Old 02-12-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year I picked Doolittle-

this year Im going to call the winner-

Kristy Lee Cook
Old 02-12-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Thank God! Now this is where we finally see some talented people. This is by far my favorite aspect of the Idol process.
Funny, this is my least favorite aspect of the show. Once the auditions are over that's where I completely tune out until some news station announces the winner a couple months later.
Old 02-12-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That Carly chick does nothing for me.
Josiah is really full of himself.

Robbie all the way!
Old 02-12-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah.. Mr. Josiah is full of himself alright.. If he makes it, he better learn how to play in the sandbox with the other kids.
I'm loving Michael Johns.
Old 02-12-08, 09:29 PM

Michael Johns is very very good also.

Some of the more talented ones may prove to be to one dimensional, like that rocker nurse. I agree with Simon, you already know how she is gonna sing every song. I think some of them just may not be versitale enough, even though the talent is there.

I like the first girl who sang "Beautiful" by Carly Simon.
Old 02-12-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MM.. I totally agree with you and Simon about the Rocker nurse.... she better step up or she's going to be sounding the same every week. And I hope she doesn't scream at me every week also. That gets old fast.
Old 02-12-08, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Yeah, you think he might have a problem with authority figures? Kind of feel sorry for him, because he's clearly just not mature enough to be making the kinds of decisions he's making (more along the lines of him moving out of home, but also not listening to the experienced folks in tonight's show), best thing that could happen to him is to be sent packing.

Really glad they kicked the annoying Florida Fair Queen or whatever the hell she was. Oh my God, somebody told HER no?!? How dare they!
Old 02-12-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Really glad they kicked the annoying Florida Fair Queen or whatever the hell she was. Oh my God, somebody told HER no?!? How dare they!
The thing I thought was funny about that was how often do we see Simon say yes (when he's being serious) and then have both Randy and Paula say no.
Old 02-12-08, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by aktick
Yeah, you think he might have a problem with authority figures? Kind of feel sorry for him, because he's clearly just not mature enough to be making the kinds of decisions he's making (more along the lines of him moving out of home, but also not listening to the experienced folks in tonight's show), best thing that could happen to him is to be sent packing.
You hit the nail on the head. I really like Josiah, but the kid just isn't mature enough for this competition. Unless he grows up fast, I don't see him making it very far.
Old 02-12-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That Josiah kid is pissing me off, but there is no way he's not making the final 24. And probably the top 12, with all the fucking airtime he's getting.
I'm not very hip, would he be considered an emo?

I like that they've done away with that stupid group thing. It was a waste of time and energy, and didn't do anything except make for uncomfortable television.

There's going to be a lot of talent this year, I just hope they limit the number of country girls.

I couldn't believe my eyes when they let the geek with the glasses and tie through. Sure, he's a pretty good singer, but do we really need that kind of a contestant after the Sanjaya backlash bullshit from last year?
Old 02-12-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My early pick to win it all... Kady Malloy. She was the one who did vocal impersenations at the Dallas audition - she did one of Brittney Spears then was asked to sing a song in her own voice.

I think that there will be some backlash against some of the performers with extensive musical backgrounds, namely Kristy Lee Cook and Carly Hennessey.

Michael Johns was also impressive, I'll go ahead and predict that he makes it to the Top 3 but is then voted off.
Old 02-12-08, 11:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Performers that were good tonight...

guys: David Archuleta (great ), David Hernandez, Michael Johns, Josiah Leming (sorry, I thought the kid is good, and definitely brings some drama to the show)

girls: Syesha Mercado (great), Carly Smithson, Asia'h Epperson
Old 02-12-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Loved Michael Johns' vocals on Bohemian Rhapsody, just nice tone and range for a tough song to own (else, it'll own you if you don't have the voice for the song). I suspect his performances will be very memorable in the coming week (totally expect him to be in the top 12).

Brooke White is pleasant to listen to, yet I fear her style is more of the Adult Contemporary fare, but I do hope she makes the final 24.

Rock Nurse is like the female version of that Sundance Head guy from a year or two ago. A one-note trick pony at times.

Josiah is still just emotional cannon fodder for this show, sad to see him being used in this fashion because he is nowhere near ready.

David Archuleta is still sort of stuck in that Starsearch twilight zone for me, decent vocals, but nothing all that memorable.

I don't get the love for Carly Smithson, I find her vocals thin at times (or the recording engineer mixed her vocals down in her performance of "Alone"), and her phrasing off-putting, but I suspect some "payola" is going on to push her through to the top 24.

Syesha blew it out on her final vocal, good for her.

The other girl with the father who died right before the first audition has a weird raspiness to her voice in spots, but she's distinctive enough to make it to the top 24.

The politician kid is also cannon fodder, an okay voice, but not something that's going to sell records/CDs/downloads.

I didn't even notice Kady Malloy (singing-wise), but hopefully she'll also get a pass to the final 24.

Glad to see beauty queen get sent home, it was a pageant performance and wasn't original enough to go any further.

I fear for Kristy Lee, but hoping she can squeak into the top 24.

Last edited by Patman; 02-12-08 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot to mention, Kyle the nerd completely blew it when he was sent to the room with two hot girls in it. The correct response would have been "well, hello ladies" (while putting his suitcase inside), not "Oh no, girls! Cooties!" (ok, that's not actually what he said, but it was close).

And I didn't see Kady Malloy singing on Thursday but am confident we'll be seeing a lot more of her.

As for Michael Lee Johns' version of Bohemian Rhapsody, I was impressed. If my memory is right, it was better than Constantine Maroulis' version in Season 4, and Constantine's version was considered a very good version. Like I said above, Michael Lee Johns will go far.

As far as Amanda the biker nurse goes, I really find her voice annoying for some reason, I don't see her making it into past the second voting round (thus the Top 16).

And I agree that Brooke White's voice is very pleasant, I'm sure she'll do well. Being featured in the American Idol ads shown during the superbowl doesn't hurt her either.

Speaking of Syesha, the last song she did was the same one she did on ABC's "The One: Making a Music Star". What's funny is that ABC has pulled her contestant page from that show, it was up just last week. Here is Google's cache of it:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

This will be a very interesting year for American Idol.
Old 02-13-08, 02:16 AM

Really liking Michael Johns and David Archuleta.

And I think Danny Noriega is going to be the one that long outstays his welcome this year. He can sing, but I can't stand his demeanor and attitude -- totally artificial reactions and cocky.
Old 02-13-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TiVo conflict. Big Brother wins out. I prefer the ones who get through to the terrible singers. Even Sanjaya.
Old 02-13-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where was Samantha Sidley ?

Old 02-13-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I'm only a part-time viewer and he is nerving the shit out of me. Enough w/ the crying and enough w/ the put-on/affected voice. Somebody just punch him in the nose already.
Old 02-13-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for Michael Johns. Anybody who can sing a Feddie Mercury tune without screwing it up is very impressive.

I also love that kid David Archeulta fantastic voice for such a young singer. He's like this years Jordan Sparks

Wasn't overly impressed by any of the female singers...yet anyway
Old 02-13-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
I'm only a part-time viewer and he is nerving the shit out of me. Enough w/ the crying and enough w/ the put-on/affected voice. Somebody just punch him in the nose already.

That was too funny when he sent the band packing

What's with the english accent?? Is he channeling Chris Martin from Coldplay??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.