Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 2008 -- Hollywood Auditions -- 02/12/08 and 02/13/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So a dude and a chick on this show both had record deals already. And it may be coming out that other people had record deals as well. So much for the real intent of the show.

Interesting read:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...ZTuqW57ibOwSUv

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 02-16-08 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Carly's past is old news. There are a lot of "ringers" in this year's AI. But I just want 12 good contestants where you actually have no idea who's going home each week due to a higher talent level, and not due to cannon fodder for 8 weeks and then getting down to the nitty gritty in the final month of shows in May.
Old 02-16-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people think that just because someone had a record deal means they have have had a decent shot? Do people even know how many albums are released by major labels every year that fail to get any radio play or sell anything at all?

It's not as if the public "voted" on Carly Hennessy and decided they did not like her. It is not as if radio ever played it. No one ever heard her album. She is still an unknown singer.

Kelly Clarkson also had a big demo deal that fell through. Frustrated, she moved back to Texas and it was there she got another chance on American Idol. Should she have not been allowed to compete also?

As someone who has worked in the music industry for the last 20 years, I have seen thousands of releases by artists that have failed to go anywhere. These people end up toiling in obscurity or go back to working McJobs. American Idol gives artists an opportunity to be heard by millions of people; something that most record labels can't easily do.

It is such a crapshoot. Labels releases hundreds of records a year. How many do you think are actually ever played on the radio or MTV?
Old 02-16-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mmmm... about 50.
Old 02-17-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
There are a lot of "ringers" in this year's AI. But I just want 12 good contestants where you actually have no idea who's going home each week due to a higher talent level, and not due to cannon fodder for 8 weeks and then getting down to the nitty gritty in the final month of shows in May.

Looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks is nice and all, but I'd rather they just find some people who can sing this time. Besides, my favorite part of this show is watching annoying people have their dreams destroyed in front of the world. There's something appealing about second-chance dream-destruction.

das
Old 02-17-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Danny Noriega's dismissal will be must-see TV.
Old 02-17-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I wish Amanda Hawkins made it.
Old 02-17-08, 07:41 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Finding out that Kelly Clarkson was already in LA shopping a demo did kind of bother me when I found that out later. During the show, you thought she was just some waitress in Texas. Then there were contestants like Bo Bice, Taylor Hicks and Chris Daughtry that have been playing in bands (and getting paid) in front of large crowds, for up to 10 years. This kind of stage experience and song catalog gives these non-amateurs a huge advantage in American Idol type format over the aspiring teenage contestants who don't have 100's of songs memorized.
Old 02-17-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Daughtry was the real winner that year. Do you see Taylor Hicks anywhere on the charts?
Do you see Taylor Hicks ANYWHERE?
Old 02-17-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Taylor Hicks was in the NBA All Star "Celebrity" Game yesterday. He was playing the point and tried to dribble up the court, but Floyd Mayweather ran up behind him and took the ball away like candy from a sleeping baby. Taylor then tried to defend him. Floyd faked left and went right. Taylor's knees buckled, and he stumbled around for a few steps before falling face first onto the court. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I guess that's what he's been up to.

das
Old 02-17-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Taylor Hicks was in the NBA All Star "Celebrity" Game yesterday. He was playing the point and tried to dribble up the court, but Floyd Mayweather ran up behind him and took the ball away like candy from a sleeping baby. Taylor then tried to defend him. Floyd faked left and went right. Taylor's knees buckled, and he stumbled around for a few steps before falling face first onto the court. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I guess that's what he's been up to.

das

It's at about 1:25
Old 02-17-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Taylor looks like he's aged 10 years more since his AI win in 2006.
Old 02-17-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Do you see Taylor Hicks ANYWHERE?

Elliott Yamin can also be considered a big success, I believe he is album has gone gold.
Old 02-17-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's something interesting - as you probably know, David Archuleto won Star Search at age 12 (4 or 5 years ago). But what you didn't know was that one of the people he beat along the way was... Alexandra Lushington (also in the Top 24 this year).

http://www.tv.com/star-search-2003/s...9/summary.html
Old 02-18-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Kelly Clarkson vs. Carly Smithson / Hennessy

I mean, this is no contest. Kelly Clarkson is the best singer this show has ever produced, bar none.

<embed width="425" height="355" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zFnrhh73cgg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>
Old 02-18-08, 01:24 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Yikes, Carly sounds horrible on this song.
Old 02-18-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

David Lee Roth "auditions" for American Idol

<embed width="425" height="355" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xp9o6Ux563g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed>
Old 02-18-08, 06:38 PM

I don't know if this has been posted already but apparently Randy Jackson was vice-president at MCA Records when Carly signed her record deal...
Old 02-18-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
. Kelly Clarkson is the best singer this show has ever produced, bar none.
I think many people would disagree, and say Carrie Underwood was. Myself included.
Old 02-18-08, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think many people would disagree, and say Carrie Underwood was. Myself included.
And the 15+ million people worldwide who bought Kelly Clarkson's CDs would disagree with you. Carrie's CDs have barely sold 5 million copies and she won't sell much more since she only has success in the US (given the tone of her voice and the type of music she records). Not to mention she's only had that much success because she's always saying yes to the old men in black suits who dictate her career. She won't be around much longer IMO.
Old 02-18-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Howiefan
And the 15+ million people worldwide who bought Kelly Clarkson's CDs would disagree with you. Carrie's CDs have barely sold 5 million copies and she won't sell much more since she only has success in the US (given the tone of her voice and the type of music she records). Not to mention she's only had that much success because she's always saying yes to the old men in black suits who dictate her career. She won't be around much longer IMO.

When did CD sales become representative of how good a singer someone is? Even if you think that argument is legitimate, which is ridiculous, you are comparing an artist that has one more CD out and about 5 years head start.

Last edited by Deftones; 02-18-08 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
When did CD sales become representative of how good a singer someone is? Even if you think that argument is legitimate, which is ridiculous, you are comparing an artist that has one more CD out and about 5 years head start.
I agree with not using sales as a barometer, but I'll use my ears. Carrie is a great singer, but she's pretty much a middle of the road country music singer. She's not special, not to me at least. I haven't ever heard anything from her that made me go "whoa". I also think she has somewhat of a limited range. And sounds fairly "thin". I personally think that Gretchen Wilson blows Carrie out of the water if we are talking country music women.

Kelly has a very powerful voice, can sing through several octaves, and really stands out. I would take her over Carrie any day of the week.

I'm actually surprised to hear you even mention Carrie against Kelly. Frankly, I think there are several AI contestants that have been better than Carrie.