Lost and Alias. Hooked right away.
Old 01-26-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Millennium's pilot is fantastic
Old 01-26-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Veronica Mars -- better than most movies.
Old 01-26-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
One of my favorites.

Lost
Futurama
Old 01-26-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LOST - feature film that just happened to debut on TV pretty much.

Everwood - such a wholesome feel to the pilot, and was still very real and optimistic.

ANGEL - didn't know a thing about the man, having never seen Buffy but when he vamped-out and staked Sawyer in the opening teaser, I was immediately hooked.

The O.C. - Such an awesome contrast between the rich and the poor, and was very exciting.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The offbeat humor, the enthusiasm the characters had and the (at the time) innovative new approach to crime stories, plus it's still funny to hear Grissom call a room full of corpses "you assholes!" for scaring the team's newest (and shortest-lived) rookie.
Old 01-26-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
ER
NYPD Blue
Old 01-26-08, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
First one I thought of.
Old 01-26-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Yeah - I'll echo the sentiments here - all the entrenched F/X series, Lost, Homicide.
Old 01-26-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd have to go with Alias. After that commercial-free episode, my heart was pounding through my chest, so much so that I didn't watch another episode until I bought the complete series set a couple of years ago.

It was a toss up with 24. I decided that I couldn't watch 2 heart-pounding shows in a single season . This is how much a really don't like action, but still enjoy a good series.
Old 01-26-08, 04:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yeah - I'll echo the sentiments here - all the entrenched F/X series
it's funny about the FX series'. weren't they all no commercials or limited interruptions when first aired? i wonder if that has something to do with it (running through a first ep without any breaks). i too love the FX series', and do remember bits and pieces from them simply because they were fresh and new and sometimes startling without letting us come up for air.
Old 01-26-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Night Gallery
Old 01-26-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WEST WING, hands down. It's a fantastic episode, all of the characters were firmly established (and no one was OUT of character when compared to later episodes)... It's a perfect hour of Television.

-Doc
Old 01-26-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 228 Posts
Twin Peaks and The Shield
Old 01-26-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Lost is an obvious choice. Seems like a lot of people are choosing more recent shows. I would like to add the Twilight Zone. "Where is Everybody?" may not be the best episode but it represents everything that made the show great.
Old 01-26-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Alias was great, but I'd have to go with Pushing Daisies. I haven't cared a ton about the show since, but the pilot was one of the best I've ever seen.

For an older show, I have to vote for Misfits of Science. The series tanked and the episodes weren't great at all, but the pilot was great.
Old 01-26-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a number of shows I have watched a lot of where I'm not certain what the pilot episode actually is because I've mainly seen the show out of order in syndication. I can figure out what the pilot is for something like The Beverly Hillbillies or Gilligan's Island, but not every show is quite that obvious. That's why I have chosen fairly recent shows.
Old 01-26-08, 08:58 PM

Without question - LOST
Followed by Battlestar Galactica and Firefly
Old 01-26-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Lost is an obvious choice. Seems like a lot of people are choosing more recent shows. I would like to add the Twilight Zone. "Where is Everybody?" may not be the best episode but it represents everything that made the show great.
The actual Twilight Zone pilot aired as an episode of Desilu Playhouse. It was called "They're Coming". A guy who was at Pearl Harbor and survived is revisting years later. He goes to a bar he and his buddies hung out in. On the wall behind the bar are photographs of the men who were killed that day. This guy somehow gets transported in time back to Pearl Harbor just before the attack. He runs around trying to warn people but no one will listen/believe him. This time he gets killed. When we come back to the present at the end his photo in on the wall behind the bar. TV Land showed it once back around '98 or so as part of television history program they used to have.

The Untouchables pilot, "The Scarface Mob", also first aired as an episode of Desilu Playhouse. Later it was edited into a two part episode.

Last edited by rw2516; 01-26-08 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twin Peaks, without a doubt. I can still remember watching it the night it aired, and being blown away by how great it was.

Also, Six Feet Under and Sports Night, and one that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Coupling (the British version, of course). It took me a while to get into it at first, but by the last scene, I was completely hooked.

Rob
Old 01-27-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone said Lost? I think it's the best pilot episode.
Old 01-27-08, 06:54 AM

Twin Peaks
Old 01-27-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
The actual Twilight Zone pilot aired as an episode of Desilu Playhouse. It was called "They're Coming". A guy who was at Pearl Harbor and survived is revisting years later. He goes to a bar he and his buddies hung out in. On the wall behind the bar are photographs of the men who were killed that day. This guy somehow gets transported in time back to Pearl Harbor just before the attack. He runs around trying to warn people but no one will listen/believe him. This time he gets killed. When we come back to the present at the end his photo in on the wall behind the bar. TV Land showed it once back around '98 or so as part of television history program they used to have.
This is simply not true. The show is not a Twilight Zone episode. It was a shelved script for the Twilight Zone that ended up being filmed for Desilu Playhouse. CBS wanted no part of a sci-fi series. It became a big hit when it aired and CBS began looking at the possiblilty of producing a series like the Twilight Zone with Rod Serling. They ordered a pilot to be made and that was "Where is Everybody". I believe the show you are refering to is called "The Time Element". But it was never an episode of the Twilight Zone and cannot be considered a pilot any more than his other filmed scripts.

Edit: Just to add something- Serling intended The Time Element to be the pilot but because it was already used he did not want it to be the pilot episode. He then wrote a story called The Happy Place which was basically rejected by CBS for being too depressing. This led to Serling writing Where is Everybody, the episode that sold the series.

Last edited by Neil M.; 01-27-08 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-27-08, 10:07 AM

The Wonder Years - Absolutely perfect to me. The charachters were so well fleshed out in the pilot and remained true to themselves throughout the series.

Honerable mentions
Miami Vice
WKRP
My So-Called Life
Old 01-27-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Neil M.
This is simply not true. The show is not a Twilight Zone episode. It was a shelved script for the Twilight Zone that ended up being filmed for Desilu Playhouse. CBS wanted no part of a sci-fi series. It became a big hit when it aired and CBS began looking at the possiblilty of producing a series like the Twilight Zone with Rod Serling. They ordered a pilot to be made and that was "Where is Everybody". I believe the show you are refering to is called "The Time Element". But it was never an episode of the Twilight Zone and cannot be considered a pilot any more than his other filmed scripts.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. It is called "The Time Element". imdb refers to it as the Twilight Zone pilot. It wasn't an actual episode but is in The National Museum of Television and Radio for it's historical significance as being the prototype/launching pad for The Twilight Zone.
Old 01-27-08, 12:07 PM
Banned

I'll echo others and say Lost, ER, The Office (UK) and South Park.

I'll add one that I didn't see mentioned. The pilot for Picket Fences was brilliant. I just recently picked up the first season on DVD. I had forgotten how wonderful that first season was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.