Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights---"Humble Pie"---1/25/08

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Lastly, Dillon is supposed to be a tiny town correct? Then what is with the stadium sized Church Lyla attends? That's always bugged me. Just a guess, but wouldn't there be a bunch of little churches of different denominations around town and not one giant one that apparently everyone attends?
Maybe they drive to Austin on Sundays?
Old 01-28-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Maybe they drive to Austin on Sundays?
The show is supposed to be set in rural west Texas, making the drive to Austin several hours in length.
Old 01-28-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the church is in the next town over? 20 minutes out of Dillon.
Old 01-28-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I remember watching this 70s italian exploitation movie where both a woman and her husband were gang raped by a bunch of sickos (i recall the rape of the husband shown way more explicitly than the rape of the wife)

That's what needs to happen to Lyla and that Jesus nuthugger boyfriend of hers!
That's a pretty repugnant thing to say.

Oh how disgusting--she's not sleeping around and she's with a guy with morals! Fast forward! Turn the channel! Wish rape and torture upon such filth!

Old 01-28-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Smash storyline is dumb, at least as long as he doesn't tell anyone he and his sister are being harassed. Why would he not offer that up?

Spoiler:
I'll predict that we see a couple "out of character" complaints for Saracen next week...
Old 01-28-08, 09:39 AM

Team Riggins!!!!
Old 01-28-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
Spoiler:
I'll predict that we see a couple "out of character" complaints for Saracen next week...

Spoiler:
The name of the episode is "Leave No One Behind" Based on the previews, I'm guessing his downward spiral has something to do with his father in Iraq. Remember him? I wouldn't be surprised if not many do.. he's never talked about. They need to do something about that storyline.
Old 01-28-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Spoiler:
The name of the episode is "Leave No One Behind" Based on the previews, I'm guessing his downward spiral has something to do with his father in Iraq. Remember him? I wouldn't be surprised if not many do.. he's never talked about. They need to do something about that storyline.
Spoiler:
That'd be one of the few plotlines for him that would make sense. I can image him going on that bad of a bender over the Latino girl he didn't seem to be "seeing" that long.
Old 01-29-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
One of the better episodes this season, even if there was no football in it. At all. Not even a practice. More volleyball than football, actually.

I like that they setup the Smash being suspended thing, so that the season is in question. Of course, we have no idea how close they are to the playoffs anyway, but I guess Riggins has to step it up in the running game.

Even if it wouldn't be realistic, I hope they drop the meth addict storyline altogether.

Lyla's story is ok, but still seems entirely disconnected to everything else. The relationship with Riggins was the only connection she had. Meanwhile, Street gets kinda reconnected to everyone else with the job with Buddy, but why did he quit coaching again? That gave him a natural place in the show (once you get over the whole hired-straight-out-of-school thing), and he gave it up so that he could move out of his parent's place and do nothing?
Old 01-29-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Meanwhile, Street gets kinda reconnected to everyone else with the job with Buddy, but why did he quit coaching again? That gave him a natural place in the show (once you get over the whole hired-straight-out-of-school thing), and he gave it up so that he could move out of his parent's place and do nothing?
Just another plot device to keep him around. I thought he quit coaching and moved out because he was tired of the small town life and wanted to move on. So much for that.
Old 01-29-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I predict Tyra is going to clear her throat after she talks
Check
Jason Street will say OK after every sentence
Check
Saracen will stammer
BAMP. Did he even have more than three lines in the restaurant with Smash or in his conversation with Landry?
Coach will say "Let me tell you something"
BAMP. Taylor only had scenes with Smash, and I don't recall that being said.
Mr. Garritty will save someones day
Check!
Riggins will get in a fight
Check sortof. Yanking his brother out of that mayhem could qualify.
a Dillon team will win at the last minute.
CHECK! But instead of football, it was volleyball!

Wow, magiccmom! That was pretty darn good predictin' there!

With two remaining, I hope they can step up the storylines a little. I actually found myself thinking "why am I still watching this" when I sat down to it yesterday. Seriously at this jucture, it may be because it is one of the only scripted shows that still has new episodes.

Why does Street forgive Herc? Seems like a dick move Herc pulled with the truck, selling it to Street and hoping he doesn't figure out how he'd been neglecting the maintenance on it. And that blonde bitch at the car dealership? How f-ing low is that to steal not only a rookie's first sale but a paraplegic rookie? Seaward.
Old 01-29-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
And that blonde bitch at the car dealership? How f-ing low is that to steal not only a rookie's first sale but a paraplegic rookie? Seaward.
I see what you did there.

Old 01-29-08, 03:52 PM

Jason Street almost died for you b*tches

Old 01-29-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lastly, Dillon is supposed to be a tiny town correct? Then what is with the stadium sized Church Lyla attends? That's always bugged me. Just a guess, but wouldn't there be a bunch of little churches of different denominations around town and not one giant one that apparently everyone attends?
Remember this is the South we're talking about. I live in Arkansas, and I jave seen some giant churches in small towns that make you wonder just how in the hell they fill it. As a matter of fact, there's a little town about an hour north of me with a population of 300. The town has several smaller churches, but they just built a giant Baptist church that is easily the size of the one in FNL. That town is 300 although they serve many surrounding communities as well. I'm willing to bet Dillon's pop is much larger than 300.
Old 01-29-08, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boot
Remember this is the South we're talking about. I live in Arkansas, and I jave seen some giant churches in small towns that make you wonder just how in the hell they fill it. As a matter of fact, there's a little town about an hour north of me with a population of 300. The town has several smaller churches, but they just built a giant Baptist church that is easily the size of the one in FNL. That town is 300 although they serve many surrounding communities as well. I'm willing to bet Dillon's pop is much larger than 300.
From the crowded looks of the Dillon H.S. halls and cafeteria, the senior class is larger than 300.
'Course, that may be 'cause of all the repeaters like Riggins & Tyra.
Old 01-30-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
From the crowded looks of the Dillon H.S. halls and cafeteria, the senior class is larger than 300.
'Course, that may be 'cause of all the repeaters like Riggins & Tyra.
Riggins and Lyla no longer attend classes. I think Tyra still does though.
Old 01-30-08, 01:55 AM
Banned

Not only that, but Lyla's and Smash's churches seem to have service every single night.
Old 01-30-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Riggins and Lyla no longer attend classes. I think Tyra still does though.
True. I think Tyra, Landry and Saracen are the only ones we ever see in school.
Old 01-30-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This show has really taken a nosedive this season. They have to stop fucking over Tim EVERY EPISODE. It's beyond tired. Jason should be gone, not because of his character, but just because he's been saying it forever.

It's pretty clear that Smash is going to lose his scholarship, and then he'll go to that school his mother wanted him to, be a better man, and return to Dillon to be a leader of men.
Old 01-30-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's pretty clear that Smash is going to lose his scholarship, and then he'll go to that school his mother wanted him to, be a better man, and return to Dillon to be a leader of men.
That's too good for him. Frankly, I never liked Smash. He's just a big, pompous arrogant ass who doesn't realize where he really stands in the grand scheme of things. If this show continues next season, I'd be happy to have him gone to college. How old is his sister? She looks like she should be in high school herself.
Old 01-30-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with DVD Josh. This season has just become really tedious for me. I am not sure if it is due to how great season 1 was, or an indication of how bad this one has been, but the show has lost almost all of its charm.
Old 01-30-08, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I agree with DVD Josh. This season has just become really tedious for me. I am not sure if it is due to how great season 1 was, or an indication of how bad this one has been, but the show has lost almost all of its charm.
Ditto to everyone else's gripes about this season.

My biggest issue with the show is the scaling back of the football games. The contests at least provided some balance last season, so instead of an hour's worth of Smash/Saracen/Taylor/Jason/Landy angst and Riggins getting f'ed once again, we got some well-filmed and suspenseful (albeit cliched) football action. I loved how first season seemed to tackle a different week in the team's season, culminating in the championship game. This year there is no logical time line, no games to give the series a sense of time or place or chronology.

But as long as Tyra remains a fixture, I'll be watching.
Old 01-30-08, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's still a great show in a very weakened PrimeTime lineup.

The storylines may not be as great as last season, but the acting is still solid and Coach and Mrs Coach are still great to watch on weekly basis.

I will be there to the bitter end. I hope we get a season 3 to argue about.
Old 01-30-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True. I think Tyra, Landry and Saracen are the only ones we ever see in school.
And Julie... albeit drooling over her English teacher the entire time.
Old 01-30-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Ditto to everyone else's gripes about this season.

My biggest issue with the show is the scaling back of the football games. The contests at least provided some balance last season, so instead of an hour's worth of Smash/Saracen/Taylor/Jason/Landy angst and Riggins getting f'ed once again, we got some well-filmed and suspenseful (albeit cliched) football action. I loved how first season seemed to tackle a different week in the team's season, culminating in the championship game. This year there is no logical time line, no games to give the series a sense of time or place or chronology.

But as long as Tyra remains a fixture, I'll be watching.
Without the football the show is just another teen drama, albeit well written and acted one. The problem with the timeline is that even with a post season you are only looking at a dozen or so games for high school. For a full season of television that leaves you with 12 episodes of padding. Hence they started this season during summer prior to the start of school. Plus having them make the post-season every year would be very predictable, so if they went just the regular season then you are looking at even more padding. That's why they had to get away from the game per week (episode) format.

I welcome the change, but getting away from football altogether is a bad move.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.