Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles---"Turk"---1/21/08

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fire just destroys the guys computer is all, it didn’t put an end to the robot apocalypse. The fact is Sarah and John are still humans and it’s not quite as easy for them to kill indiscriminately. They are not Terminators, which is why they always show the difference between the 2. Sarah couldn’t kill Enrique either, but Cameron had not problem. They also know that killing someone doesn’t really mean ending the apocalypse anyways, because it hasn’t helped yet.
Old 01-24-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the show ran on F/X like The Shield instead of broadcast FOX the writers probably would have had Sarah kill the cell-phone sales guy. But they are obviously compormising for their audience which (despite the viewer discretion warning) wants to feel warm and fuzzy about the good guys and killing someone who hasn't done something bad yet is way too grey to keep the warm and fuzzies around.
Old 01-24-08, 12:23 PM
Banned

If you're buying into the warm and fuzzy reasoning behind the fire, then why even have the fire? It does nothing, nothing at all. IMO it's decisions like those that take it out of the original tone of the movies and ruin the show.
Old 01-24-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not any different then what happened in T2...
Old 01-24-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I just rewatched the first movie this weekend and plan on rewatching the second one soon: did we ever get a good reason as to why the future is suddenly an "assembly line" of time travelers coming back to the present?

Reese stated the time machine was destroyed by the resistance just after he went through. Apparently, Skynet built more?
The reason is that they are now in an alternate "How To Make More Sequels In Order To Make More Money" Timeline.

(That explanation works for me!)
Old 01-25-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
I really wanted one of those 40 watt Plasma rifles! It was nice to see a few of them in the dream sequence with the terminators!
PHASE plasma rifle

And hey, only what you see here pal.
Old 01-25-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
If the show ran on F/X like The Shield instead of broadcast FOX the writers probably would have had Sarah kill the cell-phone sales guy. But they are obviously compormising for their audience which (despite the viewer discretion warning) wants to feel warm and fuzzy about the good guys and killing someone who hasn't done something bad yet is way too grey to keep the warm and fuzzies around.
What a silly comment. They had a teenage girl jump of a fucking building, killing herself, and show her dead with blood oozing from her head.

"Warm and fuzzy" enough for you?
Old 01-25-08, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What a silly comment. They had a teenage girl jump of a fucking building, killing herself, and show her dead with blood oozing from her head.

Gruesome for TV, yes. Stupid and unexplained subplot, also yes.
Old 01-25-08, 11:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Dreadful episode from start to finish. My main complaints have already been raised:

* Cameron in high school acting completely different than she did in the pilot. Not to mention that she looks ten years older than any of the other students.
* The sub-plot with the splatter girl made no sense whatsoever. I'm guessing there was a scene or two deleted here.
Old 01-25-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
* Cameron in high school acting completely different than she did in the pilot. Not to mention that she looks ten years older than any of the other students.
Ten years older? You mean ten years HOTTER!!!!
Old 01-25-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreadful episode from start to finish. My main complaints have already been raised:

* The sub-plot with the splatter girl made no sense whatsoever. I'm guessing there was a scene or two deleted here.
These were the two main complaints I had about it. Why would they have her character act completely different in school, from a smart active girl to, well, acting like a robot?

I loved the pilot but didn't like this episode.
Old 01-25-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listen folks, its been said before..but Cameron's "acting differently" was during the pilot! Ok, it happens all the time - the pilot's made, input by the studio executives is done, and then the show is launched.

Obviously the show was told to make Cameron more robotic for a purpose..the purpose will probably be explained..I'm guessing they didn't want to start the show with Cameron acting too "human" so they can show the gradual development (i.e. somewhat along the lines of data) and save some of the interesting twists on the Terminator mythology gradually then all up front.
Old 01-25-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Listen folks, its been said before..but Cameron's "acting differently" was during the pilot! Ok, it happens all the time - the pilot's made, input by the studio executives is done, and then the show is launched.

Obviously the show was told to make Cameron more robotic for a purpose..the purpose will probably be explained..I'm guessing they didn't want to start the show with Cameron acting too "human" so they can show the gradual development (i.e. somewhat along the lines of data) and save some of the interesting twists on the Terminator mythology gradually then all up front.

Bullseye.

-Doc
Old 01-25-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, let's please get over this.

My favorite recent example of this was in the pilot of the spy series "Burn Notice", where Gabrielle Anwar had a ridiculously overblown Irish accept. In the second episode, her accent is gone. "What happened to your accent?" asks her co-star. She replies something like "if I'm going to live in Miami, I'll have to start talking like the locals."

What?!?! Well, at least the addressed it. "Sarah Conner" just seems to have hoped that nobody would notice/care.
Old 01-25-08, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

What a silly comment. The audience did not expect to fucking identify with the fucking girl jumping off the fucking building.

The audience does expect to identify with the protagonists. Identifying with a grey protagonist is not warm and fuzzy enough for broadcast primetime.
Old 01-25-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If burning down the guy's house with his computer had worked, wouldn't Cameron have disappeared? They should know it didn't help at all. Then again, after they blew up Cyberdyne in T2, they should've wondered why Arnold was still standing there. I suppose that's just rehashing old time travel arguments.
Old 01-25-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
If burning down the guy's house with his computer had worked, wouldn't Cameron have disappeared? They should know it didn't help at all. Then again, after they blew up Cyberdyne in T2, they should've wondered why Arnold was still standing there. I suppose that's just rehashing old time travel arguments.
Yeah, so does John Connor's existence. Kyle Reese wouldn’t have been sent back from the future.

I choose to ignore the realistic and enjoy the show.
Old 01-25-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying but there's not a whole lot to enjoy so far.
Old 01-26-08, 02:22 AM

If burning down the guy's house with his computer had worked, wouldn't Cameron have disappeared?
Since time travel doesn't actually exist, there are no rules of casuality to be violated. Or, in other words, one interpretation is as good as another.
Old 01-26-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Since time travel doesn't actually exist
omg you're right!
Old 01-26-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It appears the Terminator saga doesn't follow the Back to the Future rules of time travel. No disappearing...just being stuck in the present.

Which actually makes more sense that phasing out.....to me anyway.
Old 01-28-08, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Am I the only one who liked the fact that they only showed us glimpses of why that girl killed herself? It made perfect sense to me because it mirrored the same confused ignorance that John and Cam felt being new to the school. The terminator stuff is central to the show and the main characters, so we get the exposition there. The school is peripheral and the characters only dip in and out of it, just like our awareness of the whole school and what goes on there.
Old 01-28-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by meshershark
Am I the only one who liked the fact that they only showed us glimpses of why that girl killed herself? It made perfect sense to me because it mirrored the same confused ignorance that John and Cam felt being new to the school. The terminator stuff is central to the show and the main characters, so we get the exposition there. The school is peripheral and the characters only dip in and out of it, just like our awareness of the whole school and what goes on there.
That part of the show had a real Incredible Hulk (70's) feeling to me.
Old 01-28-08, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by meshershark
I also thought that was well done.
Old 01-28-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm guessing (hoping) that whole sub-plot isn't finished. I'll even venture to say the other blond girl that he has run into from time to time at school will also be involved with the teacher, and John will do what he can to save her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.