Celebrity Apprentice---Series Discussion--Thursday's on NBC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Celebrity Apprentice---Series Discussion--Thursday's on NBC

Old 03-28-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
giving her (Omarosa) the prime central seat and
I hate, hate, hate her, but to be fair....

they were seated in order of elimination
Old 03-28-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GuessWho
I hate, hate, hate her, but to be fair....

they were seated in order of elimination
Yeah, I guess they were technically arranged in order of elimination, even if they awkwardly introduced the guests in such a way that they all had to avoid Omarosa's seat.

das
Old 03-28-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
My god - that Omarosa entrance was so so over the top. If Omarosa is that important to Trump's show, then make her one of his sidekicks in the boardroom, because that was beyond silly.

And speaking of sidekicks, holy cleavage from Ivanka in that dress at the charity event. Very nice. Jennie was looking fantastic in last night's finale too.

Not surprising that Piers won - the final challenge was in his wheelhouse (a charity fundraising event) and frankly, I think Trump thinks much more of his charity (and knows Joe Six Pack does as well) than Trace's. He won it from day 1.
Old 03-29-08, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the most awkward thing was Trump putting the vet on the spot on national TV and asking him how he felt Piers performed and he answered, "It needed to be done...I don't know him, but it needed to be done"

Made the organization look ungrateful and made it seem like they felt entitled to the money and killed the momentum of the show.
Old 03-29-08, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by scoot95
No disrespect taken.

For now, the food allergy network focuses on education of the problem and researching the cause. For instance, next year my son is going into pre-school. My wife and I are scared to death. This charity, for a nominal fee, provides books, DVDs, and pamphlets not only for my immediate family, but for my son's future classmates, teachers, etc. In short, they are trying to communicate the seriousness of this issue to the masses.

Just as important, if not more important, is finding the cause. I am 34 years old and when I was growing up, I never even heard of food allergies. As Trace said once in the show, there is something out there that is causing the proliferation of these allergies over the last decade or so and the research being done is trying to find the cause.

OK, I will come off my soapbox now....LOL
Thanks (and thanks to others who chimed in on this). That makes a lot of sense. I guess I never really thought about how important education and awareness is with food allergies as compared with various other serious ailments.
Old 03-29-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
If Trump/Burnett are smart, they'll push hard for getting Diamond Dave for round 2 of Celeb Apprentice.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-30-08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I thought the most awkward thing was Trump putting the vet on the spot on national TV and asking him how he felt Piers performed and he answered, "It needed to be done...I don't know him, but it needed to be done"
I thought that was hilarious. He hardly knew Piers which did not surprise me. Come on folks, Piers' priority was not to win for this charity. Sure, it'll help them alot. He did it because he wanted to win the show first and foremost. He's said it over and over again. Nothing wrong with that but he wanted to give everyone the impression he was being noble about it all.

Let's also face the fact that using the criteria Trump had for the winner, Piers was always going to win and Trace was going to lose. That was predetermined. All the other factors about the tickets, making the charity event a success, and accommodating the BSB were less important.

If this Celebrity edition of Apprentice is going to happen again and it will according to the ratings then Trump is going to have to make it less Rolodex-focussed. If it isn't, the playing field won't be close to even. And how boring would it be if the show became a contest of name-dropping.

The final show felt anti-climatic to me. I did like the live audience which they obviously stole from Survivor and Mark Burnett.

In conclusion, business is cold and only goes by the numbers. That is why Piers won.
Old 03-30-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What did Piers win for being named the Celebrity Apprentice? Does he get to suck on the Donald's teat for a year?
Old 03-30-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by big whoppa
The final show felt anti-climatic to me. I did like the live audience which they obviously stole from Survivor and Mark Burnett.
They've done live audience finales before on The Apprentice. Also, it's not quite theft - The Apprentice is a Mark Burnett production.
Old 03-30-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
What did Piers win for being named the Celebrity Apprentice? Does he get to suck on the Donald's teat for a year?
Since they never addressed that question, I would say that the answer is "nada", "zilch", and "squat". He'll go back to living his life. He's not going to be running one of The Donald's real estate development projects down in Pebble Beach (or wherever else), and I'm not sure that he would have wanted to.
Old 03-30-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Doesnt he get extra money for his charity, from Donald?
Old 03-30-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought the winner's charity got an additional $250K donation.
Old 03-30-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to sound cold hearted or disrespectful to people with food allergies, but IMO I think Piers charity fund for the troops appeals to more of the public than food allergies do. I personally have never met anybody, or have had a family member or have known anybody that has had a food allergy. I am not saying they don't exist, it just doesn't appeal to as many people as the troops do.
On the flip side of that, EVERYBODY has an opinion on the war, everybody seems to want to bring the troops home, and everybody is feeling very patriotic in helping them out, the charity just seemed to be a little unbalanced. I personally have met MANY people that have been in the war, have friends/family in the war, or know somebody in the war. I think selecting a charity that was a little too specific hurt Trace.
Of course this is all IMO.
Old 03-30-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, since Piers is gay, he'll probably suck on another body part of Donald's.

From the sound of it in previous episodes, there seemed to be work the winner had to do after the completion of the series. They never seemed very clear on this.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They've done live audience finales before on The Apprentice. Also, it's not quite theft - The Apprentice is a Mark Burnett production.
Oh, I knew MB runs the show. Just another carryover from Survivor.

I won't be watching if there is a non-celebrity version of The Apprentice. The premise itself isn't strong enough to pull me in but I'll probably watch the next celebrity version of the show.

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-30-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to admit it, I was moved by Trace and just bought his single on itunes for .99 to support his charity.

Whodathunk this season would have been this good? Only seaosn 1 of this show was this good. And rarely do these reboots work. But the combo of Donald kissing ass to these contestants and vice versa negates the fact these corporate sponsors are shilling there stuff in your face. And takes the edge off of the obnoxious Donald

Having these charities in the mix, really helps ground the show in a much needed reality check.

A great season, and Piers was great, hell I'll even check out Americas got Talent this summer because of him now.

I think the next version, we should see some decent celebs after this solid season.
Old 03-31-08, 09:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Whodathunk this season would have been this good? Only seaosn 1 of this show was this good. And rarely do these reboots work. But the combo of Donald kissing ass to these contestants and vice versa negates the fact these corporate sponsors are shilling there stuff in your face. And takes the edge off of the obnoxious Donald
For me, dropping the pretense that the winner is going to have some great career in Trump's company allowed everything to revolve around the competition itself. Without having to worry about the real-world repercussions of their actions in the game, the contestants were allowed more flexibility here, and the show was better for it IMO. Not only that, we got a much broader variety of contestants. Instead of a sea of too-similar professional business types with one or two oddballs thrown in the mix, there was a fun mix of people this time around. Plus, the celeb angle brought new life to challenges that had grown stale.
Old 04-03-08, 12:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the latest Billboard Hot 100 chart, Trace's song had jumped from #40 to #12, and was marked as the 'Sales Gainer'. I wonder if the charity purchases on iTunes count towards that?