Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was an ok episode, but it has a few problems that annoy me.

First, the external brain thing. OK, normally I would just chalk it up to a weird DW alien characteristic, but what raises it to the level of annoying is that Donna and The Doctor spent the whole episode running around investigating the plant because they said it was impossible for a species to naturally evolve to be as subservient as the Ood. (The Doctor obviously never having heard of Mutualism.) But they don't bat an eye when they it turns out these creatures evolved to walk around with the most fragile and vital organ swinging around on a cord. Not to mention the literal giant brain.

Which brings me to the entire retcon of the Ood. It seems like a real cop out to me. I don't know if they had it planned all along, but having the Ood be "happy slaves" was much more alien in the politically correct DW universe than any physical attribute they came up with. It may not have been a good allegory for our world, but they took something that was a little provocative and turned into just another cookie cutter morality lecture about how much human's suck.

And that brings me to the final point, while it was a human who actually freed the Ood, the story ends with the Ood thanking the 'doctordonna' and saying they will never forget what they did and their names will be sung for eternity....except the doctordonna really didn't do anything to free them besides physically pulling the switch after everything was settled.
Old 04-21-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
It was kind of Ood that the Ood would thank the doctor and donna when the human did all the leg work.
Old 04-21-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ B-b-b-but you guys forget. According to NewWho- The Doctor is Jesus
Old 04-22-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemdog
RTD didn't write that episode. I love to bust on RTD as much as the next person, but you can't blame him for the big brain.
Oh, I know he didn't write the episode. He still needs to be euthanized
Old 04-24-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the episode myself. It did seem weird to go through all of the trouble of making the Ood come from an ice planet, when that doesn't really jive with their appearance.

I am still waiting for the first "great" episode of this season though.
Old 04-24-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan
Tennant does NOT work as the Doctor. His speech is too coarse. His acting is either too stiff or overdone. David Thewlis would be a lot better. And I want them to cast Jason Issacs as a new Master.
Now I get why people give us long time comicbook fans a hard way to go.

Being new to the series, I think Tennant is fantastic. I don't get "stiff" at all, but I love when he's all enthusiastic and "overdone". I also really liked Eccleston too. I only have two Doctors to go buy, but I hope they stick to this sort of flavor.
Old 04-24-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
Reports also say the reason they're just doing specials next year instead of a full 5th Series is in order to keep him (amongst other reasons).
I believe he is booked to do something on the West End? The specials instead of a whole "season" allow him to get through both rehearsals and performances while still doing new episodes here and there.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Being new to the series, I think Tennant is fantastic. I don't get "stiff" at all, but I love when he's all enthusiastic and "overdone". I also really liked Eccleston too. I only have two Doctors to go buy, but I hope they stick to this sort of flavor.
I agree on both counts. It was a shame that we didn't get 2 seasons out of Eccleston, but I REALLY enjoy Tennant. I never expected to cry watching this show, but he made me THREE TIMES so far. Only Tennant could have delivered that "I am the Doctor. I am a time lord" speech in "Voyage of the Damned" and make it work.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-24-08 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now I get why people give us long time comicbook fans a hard way to go.

Honestly, I don't think you're missing much.

I first got into Doctor Who with Eccleston (I had never seen an episode before). The last 8 months I've been watching what's available on dvd (it helped that I was grounded for 6 weeks with a cast on my leg back in august) and the older episodes do not hold up well. Right now I'm up to The Doctor before the series went off the air. Wow...really bad Dalek episode.

I know I'm going to be pissing off alot of fans, but the new Who is far superior and Tennant is by far the best Doctor of the bunch.
Old 04-25-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Honestly, I don't think you're missing much.

I first got into Doctor Who with Eccleston... The last 8 months I've been watching what's available on dvd... and the older episodes do not hold up well...

I know I'm going to be pissing off alot of fans, but the new Who is far superior and Tennant is by far the best Doctor of the bunch.
Well, to be fair, Doctor Who before was a totally different animal. Its like saying, "I like science fiction. I absolutely loved Terminator 2, but Forbidden Planet was horrible."

Classic Who was a much more pulp show and every major aspect was different- audience, approach, budget, etc. Hell, it was around during the biggest change in sci fi tv/film, when the genre went from being cultish, mainly kiddie material, to a post Star Wars-is-cool, popular phenomenon.

New Who exists in a very changed sci fi landscape, especially in terms of television where stuff like The X-Files, Buffy, and such really altered fantasy televisions approach towards content.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-25-08 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the Sontaran episode tonight. Exciting and a lot of fun. Good to see
Spoiler:
Martha
again too.
Old 04-28-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
With regard to: ^

This is why I need to wait until the series is finished and watch it straight through. I'd have popped in the next disc to find out what happens!

As for the episode specifics:

Spoiler:
I'm a little annoyed to be visiting Martha again so soon. I know it was coming - trailer - but I really could have done without. I like the personal connection and excitment from the Doctor, but to a certain extent I feel like we're running in emotional circles. ??

Also, if everything is saved by that brat kid I'll be really annoyed. Honestly, I hope the Doctor gets to give him some deserved wrath like justice and that Donna doesn't talk him out of it (ala Family of Blood).

Old 04-28-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I don't know.

Spoiler:
I think the kid ruined his chance for redemption by having an innocent person killed in the teaser.

Agreed that Martha was kind of useless. However having her around at least spared us a five minute scene of the Doctor having to talk his way in to a UNIT opperation.

Old 04-28-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It took me a line or two to realize who was playing the Sontaran commander, then I laughed my ass off. Hopefully we'll get Rik Mayall or Adrian Edmondson as a Zygon soon.

I swear, so far, three seasons in I've only liked one of the two-parters. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible and a decent ending could be redemptive, but it, like most of the two-parters, didn't feel epic and looks like a one hour concept that has been stretched out.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-28-08 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
^ I don't know.

Spoiler:
I think the kid ruined his chance for redemption by having an innocent person killed in the teaser.

Agreed that Martha was kind of useless. However having her around at least spared us a five minute scene of the Doctor having to talk his way in to a UNIT opperation.

If he is elimated by the second part I will be upset. He was annoying and an irritant.
Old 04-29-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I LOVED this episode. So much was happening, that never let me get bored. The bad guys look completely ridiculous, but I still buy into them. Apparently Napoleon complexes are not relegated to this planet.
Old 04-29-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I LOVED this episode. So much was happening, that never let me get bored. The bad guys look completely ridiculous, but I still buy into them. Apparently Napoleon complexes are not relegated to this planet.
They look better than they used to in the old series. I remember first seeing them in the 80's in an episode called The Sontara Experiment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sontaran_Experiment
Old 04-29-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
They look better than they used to in the old series. I remember first seeing them in the 80's in an episode called The Sontara Experiment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sontaran_Experiment
I don't remember them being 4ft tall in the original series!
Old 04-29-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're not 4ft tall in the new series either.
Old 05-04-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice rehash of the "Are you my mommy?" line
Old 05-04-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the 3rd Doctor did refer to the Sontarans as "Nasty, brutish, and short." So...

Personally I thought it was a brilliant second half. Much better IMO to not have enough story than trying to cram too much into 45 minutes.

The Sontarans are probably best most well developed enemies so far in the new series.

And loved the cliffhanger ending. That sort of thing is straight out of the Hartnell era.
Old 05-04-08, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Enjoyed the conclusion of the Sontaran episode. Liked the Doctor blurting out, Are you my Mommy when he had the gas mask on and interesting that
Spoiler:
Rose showed
up again.
Old 05-04-08, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I imagine the preview for episode 6 ought to upstage anything that happens in this episode.
Old 05-04-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought it was pretty disposable. I think that entire storyline could have been a one parter. Throw out a lot of the war room phone conferencing and some other little bits and the plotline could have been tighter. You could really see a lot of budget cutting on this one too, more so than any recent episode.

As for the preview:
Spoiler:
So, looks like the Doc sired Buffy-Firefly girl-Sara Conner-etc., etc, etc? Real original Oh well, hopefully they do something with it.

If they are going to touch on his procreating at some point in his lifetime(s), gut instincts make me wish they'd just, in some form, bring Susan back.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-04-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Well I tried one more episiode this week, where the Doctor ended up in Pompei in 79 AD. Awful. He's supposed to be in ancient Rome and we're hearing cockney accents and British slang. That's just sloppy and lazy.

Sorry, I'm gonna stick to old school Who.
Old 05-04-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I thought it was pretty disposable. I think that entire storyline could have been a one parter. Throw out a lot of the war room phone conferencing and some other little bits and the plotline could have been tighter. You could really see a lot of budget cutting on this one too, more so than any recent episode.

As for the preview:
Spoiler:
So, looks like the Doc sired Buffy-Firefly girl-Sara Conner-etc., etc, etc? Real original Oh well, hopefully they do something with it.

If they are going to touch on his procreating at some point in his lifetime(s), gut instincts make me wish they'd just, in some form, bring Susan back.
Spoiler:
I was REALLY hoping that actually was Susan. Oh well. The Doctor's gotta have some sort of child though, if he's to have a granddaughter, I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.