Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How long do you the the WGA strike will last?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How long will the WGA strike last from 11/12/07.
less than two weeks
0.74%
more than two weeks
1.48%
a month
4.44%
Christmas '07
5.19%
First month of '08
20.00%
Three months or longer.
68.15%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you the the WGA strike will last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So what exactly is the problem here? Is it a situation where studios don't feel they make enough profit off of the internet to pay the writers? Or, is it a situation where the studios just don't want to give in and hand the writers more money and power?
Old 12-27-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I really hope that Letterman can get a deal on the table for his writers. I can't believe the arrogance of these corporations.
Old 12-27-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope all involved had a great holiday
Old 12-27-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The networks may be bound and determined to see this go for a long time, but this is a movie and TV strike. Unless there is some sort of schism and the WGA signs contracts for motion pictures but not for television, I can't believe that the studios and independents are willing to see summer 2009 and beyond go right into the shitter.

I also think we could very possibly see one or two networks fold if they're bound and determined to go this way. I also think the others may very well be trouble. With any luck, the cable nets that back drama and comedy today will make up for the broadcast network mistake of thinking they can get out of scripted TV.
Old 12-27-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This whole scenario makes me want to vomit. Fuck the greedy bastards, all of them.
Old 12-27-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So what exactly happens if this strike does last into the next TV season? If July rolls around and returning shows can't start filming due to a lack of scripts, are the actors still under contract on those shows or will they get released at some point? This concerns me with a series like Lost which has such a huge cast.
Old 12-27-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I imagine that it's a show by show concern. There is probably some cost to keeping everyone under contract, even when everyone is striking. If the show isn't good enough to make the cut, maybe the show is canceled and everybody is free to strike while jobless instead of striking while employed. At the same time, the cost probably isn't all that great. With shows visible enough or with high enough ratings, I imagine everyone remains under contract.
Old 12-28-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So when exactly is the 'point of no return' for the 2007-2008 season? I know many shows have already used up all episodes, while many also have 1-3 episodes left..
Old 12-28-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
If July rolls around and returning shows can't start filming due to a lack of scripts, are the actors still under contract on those shows or will they get released at some point?
I thought about this and came to this conclusion: released to do WHAT exactly? If nothing is being filmed or produced, the actors on scripted shows have no place to turn (except perhaps the stage). True, production crews could jump to reality shows but what's to keep them from returning to a scripted show if it restarts? I don't think those guys have contracts like the actors do.

Now I have been reading this thread for a while, and I'm confused a little. Some people here are talking about the networks, but isn't in fact the STUDIOS that are responsible for the strike? While ABC does own Buena Vista/Touchstone (responsible for Scrubs, LOST and Desperate Housewives), it is the production side that has the beef. The networks feel the brunt of it because they are losing revenue from advertising. The studios (not the networks) are trying to prevent more revenue being given to the writers for DVD and internet usage. Right?
Old 12-28-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting development:

Globes, Oscars stricken
By Tim Surette - TV.com
December 19, 2007 at 12:34:00 PM | more stories by this author

Writers guild says awards shows won't get their support or permission to use old clips; stars ponder attending.

This year's Golden Globes and Oscars could lack the luster usually attributed to the two awards shows, as the writers strike has forced some changes to the annual events.

On Monday, the Writers Guild of America denied standard requests from the producers of both shows, a move that could greatly affect how both are run, according to Bloomberg. Dick Clark Productions, which runs the Golden Globes, won't have the assistance of WGA writers to pen its presentations, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which handles the Academy Awards, does not have permission to use clips from old films, something normally used in the event's tributes.

More damaging to the shows was actually how the WGA will participate in the Golden Globes--they'll attend, but mostly on the sidewalk holding signs. The WGA told Variety that it plans to picket the Golden Globes, which could deter some stars from participating. The Screen Actors Guild has been very supportive of the WGA since the onset of the strike, and many stars feel that attending the awards show is crossing the picket line, both literally and figuratively.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), the side on the other end of the strike, continued its attack on the union in the wake of the WGA's decisions.

"In the category of Worst Supporting Union, the nominee is the WGA," says a post on the organization's Web site. The post also accuses the WGA of hurting its own members, the city of Los Angeles, and "the creative artists who deserve to be honored for their work over the last year."

Without writers, the awards shows could be even more awkward than normal, with actors having no teleprompter jokes they typically stumble through. Producers of the show are also weary of vocal actors speaking out against the AMPTP and the studios when they're at the podium.

The Golden Globe Awards show takes place January 13. Whoever is in charge of censoring the telecast better be ready.
http://www.tv.com/story/10628.html

Well not to mention that if the strike perpetuates, what will be available for nominations next year? I bet something some studio deemed so crumby that it was relegated to a canister in a dusty storage locker somewhere will end up being nominated for best picture.
Old 12-28-07, 09:08 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The networks may be bound and determined to see this go for a long time, but this is a movie and TV strike. Unless there is some sort of schism and the WGA signs contracts for motion pictures but not for television, I can't believe that the studios and independents are willing to see summer 2009 and beyond go right into the shitter.
I imagine the theater owners (NATO) are especially concerned, what will they show? I imagine we'll see a lot more foreign films and documentaries in the multiplexes, which could be interesting. We could possibly see revivals of some movies, although in the age of DVD I can't imagine how successful this idea would be. The only sort of 'reality tv' stuff that would work for movies would be stuff like Jackass the Movie, although there was that Real Cancun movie that bombed a few years back.

Writers guild says awards shows won't get their support or permission to use old clips
I can understand not attending and not writing anything for the show, but this just seems like a dick move to me.

Last edited by DRG; 12-28-07 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-28-07, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the strike goes too far into 2008, isn't it possible that the networks could just import overseas programming to fill slots?

Same goes for the big movie studios. Couldn't they just buy the rights to US distribution for a shitload of foreign films and plunk those into the theaters?

I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but isn't this possible? It would keep some advertisers on board as well as put a little bit of money into the networks' & studios' pockets, right?
Old 12-28-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG

I can understand not attending and not writing anything for the show, but this just seems like a dick move to me.

Don't you just love it when there is no clear cut good or bad guy?
Old 12-28-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So when exactly is the 'point of no return' for the 2007-2008 season? I know many shows have already used up all episodes, while many also have 1-3 episodes left..
Probably January or February at the latest. I read that it would like at least 6 weeks to get scripts written and production started up again on most shows (re-hiring all your production crews, scouting locations etc) and then they need at least another 6 weeks to film and edit episodes. I believe they can film 1 episode per week.

Your talking about 12 weeks minimum to maybe get 6 more episodes in the can before the 2007-08 season is officially done. Is that possible? Sure, but with the way things are going with no progress being made, it's looking doubtful right now.
Old 12-28-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Interesting development:

Quote:
Globes, Oscars stricken
By Tim Surette - TV.com
December 19, 2007 at 12:34:00 PM | more stories by this author

Writers guild says awards shows won't get their support or permission to use old clips; stars ponder attending.

This year's Golden Globes and Oscars could lack the luster usually attributed to the two awards shows, as the writers strike has forced some changes to the annual events.

On Monday, the Writers Guild of America denied standard requests from the producers of both shows, a move that could greatly affect how both are run, according to Bloomberg. Dick Clark Productions, which runs the Golden Globes, won't have the assistance of WGA writers to pen its presentations, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which handles the Academy Awards, does not have permission to use clips from old films, something normally used in the event's tributes.

More damaging to the shows was actually how the WGA will participate in the Golden Globes--they'll attend, but mostly on the sidewalk holding signs. The WGA told Variety that it plans to picket the Golden Globes, which could deter some stars from participating. The Screen Actors Guild has been very supportive of the WGA since the onset of the strike, and many stars feel that attending the awards show is crossing the picket line, both literally and figuratively.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), the side on the other end of the strike, continued its attack on the union in the wake of the WGA's decisions.

"In the category of Worst Supporting Union, the nominee is the WGA," says a post on the organization's Web site. The post also accuses the WGA of hurting its own members, the city of Los Angeles, and "the creative artists who deserve to be honored for their work over the last year."

Without writers, the awards shows could be even more awkward than normal, with actors having no teleprompter jokes they typically stumble through. Producers of the show are also weary of vocal actors speaking out against the AMPTP and the studios when they're at the podium.

The Golden Globe Awards show takes place January 13. Whoever is in charge of censoring the telecast better be ready.
So if I understand this correctly, the Oscar telecast will be devoid of clip montages and lame jokes? Bring it on, I say! It's about time they got the running time under 2 hours.
Old 12-28-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Since when does the WGA have the rights to the clips used in the telecasts?
Old 12-28-07, 04:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Letterman got his deal. This should be interesting.

Letterman Makes Deal With Striking Writers
By BILL CARTER
Published: December 28, 2007

David Letterman has secured a deal with the striking Writers Guild of America that will allow him to resume his late-night show on CBS next Wednesday with his team of writers on board, executives of several late-night shows said today.

Most of television’s late-night shows are scheduled to return to the air that night after being off for two months due to the strike, but it is likely that only Mr. Letterman, and the show that follows him on CBS hosted by Craig Ferguson, will be supported by material from writers.

The reason is that Mr. Letterman’s company World Wide Pants, owns both those shows. The company announced two weeks ago that it was seeking a separate deal with the guild that would permit the two World Wide Pants show to return to the air. The talks seemed to be at an impasse until today when the deal was completed.

A spokesman for Mr. Letterman’s company declined to comment.

Beyond the obvious advantage of having writers to supply comedy material that other shows will not have, Mr. Letterman’s and Mr. Ferguson’s shows will likely gain a benefit by being able to book guests who will not appear on shows still being struck by the Writers Guild.

Representatives of some of the other late-night shows have reported difficulty booking some the top-name actors in Hollywood, who have indicated reluctance to appear on shows whose networks are still among the entities the writers are striking against.

Numerous big-budget movies have opened during the holiday season without having opportunities for their stars to promote them on the late-night shows as they normally would. The World Wide Pants shows may now be able to book many of those stars, some of whom may still resist appearing on the other shows, like NBC’s “Tonight” with Jay Leno and “Late Night” with Conan O’Brien, and ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live.”

All three of those shows are scheduled to return Wednesday without writers.
Old 12-28-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Now I have been reading this thread for a while, and I'm confused a little. Some people here are talking about the networks, but isn't in fact the STUDIOS that are responsible for the strike? While ABC does own Buena Vista/Touchstone (responsible for Scrubs, LOST and Desperate Housewives), it is the production side that has the beef. The networks feel the brunt of it because they are losing revenue from advertising. The studios (not the networks) are trying to prevent more revenue being given to the writers for DVD and internet usage. Right?
It's the producers that are technically the other side as I understand it, but they're essentially backed by production companies, studios, and networks. With so many shows on each network being produced by the studio arm of the same conglomerate as it is then broadcast on (Universal/NBC, Touchstone/ABC, Twentieth/Fox), the line between studio and network is really blurry. I think that's really one of the shadow issues here that you only really see when it comes to the "promotional use" stuff. The talent has always been mistrustful of the accounting done by these conglomerates -- anybody who has listened to "Workin for MCA" knows that.
Old 12-28-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Since when does the WGA have the rights to the clips used in the telecasts?
I don't totally get that myself. Maybe these shows use the clips royalty free and that's what the WGA won't allow this year due to the strike. That makes a good bit of sense, actually.

I imagine that if you're willing to pony up the royalty, you can use what has already been written to your heart's content. That's how remaking old shows or movies verbatim would work, I'd imagine.
Old 12-28-07, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Letterman got his deal. This should be interesting.
Wow. I wonder how everyone else in the WGA of other shows feel about this. Seems unfair they get to go back to work and get paid while the people they have been hanging out with for 5-6 weeks get to continue picketing.
Old 12-28-07, 09:58 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Wow. I wonder how everyone else in the WGA of other shows feel about this. Seems unfair they get to go back to work and get paid while the people they have been hanging out with for 5-6 weeks get to continue picketing.
The WGA is spinning it as good news. I'd imagine the pressure will only increase on the networks that are without writers for late night. But if the new formats are somehow more successful than Letterman out of the gate, then it's a different story.

Here's the full letter from Verrone and Winship:

To Our Fellow Members,

We are writing to let you know that have reached a contract with David Letterman's Worldwide Pants production company that puts his show and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson back on the air with Guild writers. This agreement is a positive step forward in our effort to reach an industry-wide contract. While we know that these deals put only a small number of writers back to work, three strategic imperatives have led us to conclude that this deal, and similar potential deals, are beneficial to our overall negotiating efforts.

First, the AMPTP has not yet been a productive avenue for an agreement. As a result, we are seeking deals with individual signatories. The Worldwide Pants deal is the first. We hope it will encourage other companies, especially large employers, to seek and reach agreements with us. Companies who have a WGA deal and Guild writers will have a clear advantage. Companies that do not will increasingly find themselves at a competitive disadvantage. Indeed, such a disadvantage could cost competing networks tens of millions in refunds to advertisers.

Second, this is a full and binding agreement. Worldwide Pants is agreeing to the full MBA, including the new media proposals we have been unable to make progress on at the big bargaining table. This demonstrates the integrity and affordability of our proposals. There are no shortcuts in this deal. Worldwide Pants has accepted the very same proposals that the Guild was prepared to present to the media conglomerates when they walked out of negotiations on December 7.

Finally, while our preference is an industry-wide deal, we will take partial steps if those will lead to the complete deal. We regret that all of us cannot yet return to work. We especially regret that other late night writers cannot return to work along with the Worldwide Pants employees. But the conclusion of your leadership is that getting some writers back to work under the Guild’s proposed terms speeds up the return to work of all writers.

Side-by-side with this agreement, and any others that we reach, are our ongoing strike strategies. In the case of late-night shows, our strike pressure will be intense and essential in directing political and SAG-member guests to Letterman and Ferguson rather than to struck talk shows. At this time, picket lines at venues such as NBC (both Burbank and Rockefeller Center), The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and the Golden Globes are essential. Outreach to advertisers and investors will intensify in the days ahead and writers will continue to develop new media content itself to advance our position.

We must continue to push on all fronts to remind the conglomerates each and every day that we are committed to a fair deal for writers and the industry.

Best,
Michael Winship
President, Writers Guild of America, East

Patric M. Verrone

President, Writers Guild of America, West

Last edited by Flay; 12-28-07 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's a good move, but they're going to need more than a couple of late night shows. They need to get a deal done with somebody who produces more than that if they're going to seriously try the divide and conquer route.
Old 12-28-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Is it even feasible for the WGA to secure back door deals with scripted dramas/comedies production companies?

For example, can the WGA try to talk to CBS/Paramount TV to get all the CSI's, Criminal Minds back on the air?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-28-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see how that would be any different than their deal with Worldwide Pants.
Old 12-28-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would guess the answer is that it depends on the specific situation. The tighter the production company is bundled in with the studio and/or network, the tougher I imagine it would be. I imagine it will also have a lot to do with the relationship between the producer in question and the WGA. If it weren't a Touchstone show, I'd think Scrubs could be in line for a deal to finish it out.

It appears It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is only distributed by fx. It would be best for an entire studio to break with the other side and sign a deal, but maybe there are enough shows that aren't studio productions that it can make a difference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.