Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox pulls 24 from lineup

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox pulls 24 from lineup

Old 11-09-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then again, less writers means that the network loses quality programing fans have come to enjoy. Losing eyeballs on their program (and getting folks burned out of reality shows) means less advertisement dollars for the network.

It's a trade off. Do you have good programs on and get more viewers and thus more advertisers (which in turn pay for that added expense) or do you go with reality programing, push viewers to cable and alternative forms of entertainment and lose out on ad revenue?

If I was a network exec. the trade off of having good shows and more ad money coming in is the better solution.

Without those writers NBC doesn't have new episodes of HEROES to stream online and attach their ads to. So that means a lot less money coming in. In this situation the studios are being greedy and hording the money from the new media and claiming that it's too early to tell. Calling the streaming online as a promotion and not wanting to give ANYTHING to the writers for that is really bullshit. Can you honestly say that the network is in the right on that subject?
Old 11-09-07, 07:36 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Without those writers NBC doesn't have new episodes of HEROES to stream online and attach their ads to. So that means a lot less money coming in. In this situation the studios are being greedy and hording the money from the new media and claiming that it's too early to tell. Calling the streaming online as a promotion and not wanting to give ANYTHING to the writers for that is really bullshit. Can you honestly say that the network is in the right on that subject?
Doesn't streaming content cost the network money? Servers, bandwidth, web design, upkeep...

Clearly they don't make as much for internet ads as they do from on-air ads. Wouldn't that money go towards the infrastructure necessary to maintain the ability to stream their product?
Old 11-09-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
God dammit
Old 11-09-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We have plenty of time!
Old 11-09-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
We have plenty of time!
You've made my morning with that comment, sir.
Old 11-09-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Doesn't streaming content cost the network money? Servers, bandwidth, web design, upkeep...

Clearly they don't make as much for internet ads as they do from on-air ads. Wouldn't that money go towards the infrastructure necessary to maintain the ability to stream their product?
Don't dvds cost production cost, material, labor?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml

For example. The advertisement that pays for the upkeep of the website is all over the place. But notice the one specific advertiser for the classic moments

"Presented by AT&T" So I would lump that advert from AT&T to be for the old clips. You can lump Tivo or who ever else is advertising on that website in the banners to the upkeep of the website.

Regardless of any upkeep for the website though, it still doesn't change the fact that the content that the writers would have been paid for if it was shown on the air or via dvd is still being shown without any cent going towards the creators of said content.

They are trying to get out of paying for that use of the content by calling it a promotion for the show. It's the entire episode of the show in the case of Heroes and the other programs that are streamed online. That is simply another rebroadcast of said program and should be compensated to the writers as such.

Again, it's the writers wanting the amount that the studios agreed to. Now the studios are just smudging the lines and making up new terms to try to get out of paying for it.
Old 11-09-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
Actors and producers already get a percentage...
Of course. What I am saying is they will want four cents more on top of it.

I'm not taking a position, I am just stating what the studios are thinking.
Old 11-09-07, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Don't dvds cost production cost, material, labor?
Which comes out of the $20 I pay for said DVD. $1.99 or free internet streams won't generate nearly the kind of income that DVDs do.

I'm not siding with the producers or anything, I just don't see how the internet thing is such a sticking point. There just can't be that much money generated from internet streaming. Not enough for there to be massive profits. And if the writers guild gets a cut, then SAG will get a cut, and the DGA will get a cut, and then there'll be no more free streaming anymore and iTunes downloads will cost $7.99.
Old 11-09-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And it goes from 2.5% to 5%... which isn't bad considering movies are being green lighted these days because they will make more in home video than they will in their theater run.
Old 11-09-07, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Why does 24 need writers? They can just have a computer program fill in a template based on previous seasons:

Jack: Chloe, I need you to use $technobabble to locate $terrorist before he can use $WMD in Los Angeles.

Chloe: But Jack, $CTU_employee just turned out to be a mole working for $foreign_government, and $president ordered $government_agency to take over, and replaced $CTU_head with $bureaucratic_dickwee. And by the way, your $person_close_to_Jack is in $unlikely_predicament.

Jack: Dammit!

$time_stamp
Old 11-09-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Considering they have 16 more episodes to write and film, plus with Kiefer pre-occupied with his 48 days of jail time, it's going to be a long long time before we see this entire season non-stop.
Old 11-09-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Which comes out of the $20 I pay for said DVD. $1.99 or free internet streams won't generate nearly the kind of income that DVDs do.

I'm not siding with the producers or anything, I just don't see how the internet thing is such a sticking point. There just can't be that much money generated from internet streaming. Not enough for there to be massive profits. And if the writers guild gets a cut, then SAG will get a cut, and the DGA will get a cut, and then there'll be no more free streaming anymore and iTunes downloads will cost $7.99.

It's not a sticking point right now. Much the same VHS wasn't a sticking point back in 88. But look at what happened with VHS and home video down the line after that 88 strike. It became an issue.

That is why the guilds want to make sure they don't get short changed and make the same mistake twice. More people are downloading via itunes their shows that they missed. If you think this wont eat up into DVD sales down the line and have a more reliance on digital download, then I'm not sure what your mind set is to totally disregard a format.

Again, it's not fighting for more for the here and now, but fighting for where the technology is moving towards.

As for what will the AMPTP do about that? will they charge more for itunes? Maybe. Will they cut streaming out? Nah, I would imagine that they would tag another advertisement into the streaming to compensate for the trouble.