Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox pulls 24 from lineup

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
They are compensated for their work. They want MORE compensation for their work.
They want job security and they don't want to be taken advantage of in their field. Right now they have barely any job security beyond next month and they get no residuals for DVD sales. That is like asking an author to be paid for a manuscript and not get some of the money for the sale of the book.

The strike is needed, and unfortunately it is happening in the midst of production time. Yes, April/May would have been the perfect time for a strike, but then the impact wouldn't be felt as much as then they might not get want should be coming to them.

I'm personally willing to sacrifice maybe half a season of television to know that the writers will be taken care of. 95% of actors and other crew members completely support this strike... what does that tell you?
Old 11-08-07, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by critterdvd

I'm personally willing to sacrifice maybe half a season of television to know that the writers will be taken care of. 95% of actors and other crew members completely support this strike... what does that tell you?

I'm willing to sacrifice a full season of shows for the studios if they tell the writers "Fuck off! We do not have to kind of money you people are wanting."
Old 11-08-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not really looking forward for 7th day of 24, not after disappointed season (Day 6). And that they're bringing Tony back from death doesn't sounds good story.
Old 11-08-07, 04:27 PM

I agree with the writers on this one. Sure you may get a plum gig and get 250k for a season of a show. but what is to say that the gravy train will continue? These residuals for new mediums NEED to be addressed.
Old 11-08-07, 04:29 PM

So if they are forced to pay the writers more money, where is the money going to come from?

Its not like its just sitting in a bank somewhere. Networks will need to advertise more or cut corners on production.

So we either get lower quality or more commercials. WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

If they don't like the money they are making they should find other jobs. Unfortunately its such a simple answer people don't understand it.
Old 11-08-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. Now maybe I can find time to sit down and watch all the OZ seasons I've been meaning to finish. And watch Angel all the way through again! Hey! I got plenty to watch - stuff that the WGA is pissed off about not being compensated for on DVD!
Old 11-08-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu 17
So if they are forced to pay the writers more money, where is the money going to come from?

Its not like its just sitting in a bank somewhere. Networks will need to advertise more or cut corners on production.

So we either get lower quality or more commercials. WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

If they don't like the money they are making they should find other jobs. Unfortunately its such a simple answer people don't understand it.
The money will come from the revenue the networks make on the ad-supported online content. And you're already seeing more commercials! Did you see the 'webisodes' that 'The Office' produced last summer. That was all original content written by the show's writers. They didn't get paid for any of those, and there were 10, I believe. That is not fair. The network made money from the ads, but didn't share with the writers who wrote them.
Old 11-08-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I'm willing to sacrifice a full season of shows for the studios if they tell the writers "Fuck off! We do not have to kind of money you people are wanting."
They don't have four cents per DVD sale?
Old 11-08-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
They don't have four cents per DVD sale?
It's not just four cents. It's four cents more for the writers (8 total), THEN the SAG will want 8, and the producers and directors 8. All of the sudden, 12 is now 24. That's one of the big issues.
Old 11-08-07, 05:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
All this writers strike is doing is making all writers targets for a huge beatdown when they meet fans of the shows they are messing with.

I am all for writers getting what they deserve but do it another way
Old 11-08-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the current formula work for television shows? Is it 4 cents per DVD sale that then gets spread around to all of the writers who contributed to the episodes on that set? Is it 4 cents per writer? When I bought the Buffy complete series set instead of the 7 individual ones did that mean that the writers only got 4 cents instead of 28?
Old 11-08-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's not just four cents. It's four cents more for the writers (8 total), THEN the SAG will want 8, and the producers and directors 8. All of the sudden, 12 is now 24. That's one of the big issues.
How much do the actors, producers, and directors get now? I'd guess they get more than the writers do.
Old 11-08-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Actually, I'd thank the WGA strike if it means I don't have to sit through another season of 24 like the last one.
Were you tied to a recliner or something?
Old 11-08-07, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK
The money will come from the revenue the networks make on the ad-supported online content. And you're already seeing more commercials!
Doesnt matter where the money specifically comes from. It all gets pooled together in the end. If the big wigs have to pay more without an increase in productivity, they would be losing money. So they will pass the costs onto the consumer, either via higher prices for dvd sales or more commercials.

How does any of this benefit the people that actually watch TV?

Last edited by Stu 17; 11-08-07 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 09:28 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Stu 17
Doesnt matter where the money specifically comes from. It all gets pooled together in the end. If the big wigs have to pay more without an increase in productivity, they would be losing money. So they will pass the costs onto the consumer, either via higher prices for dvd sales or more commercials.

How does any of this benefit the people that actually watch TV?
Hi, please watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk
Old 11-08-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by chris_sc77

BAW HA HA HA HAA HAHA.. What? Put down the crack pipe.

From the profits they are making. Go to NBC or The Daily Show and check out a web streamed episode. It's being brought to you by the folks of whoever is sponsoring it as you are forced to sit through ads. Those advertisers and their buck is what is suppose to pay the writers.

Can't watch heroes online unless you want to be asked if you want a pizza. And why are these writers entitled to this? Well, I would say because they were promised this back in the day. The took and agreed to the .4 cents in order to support home video. Now it's time to pay the piper. The studios may be taking a loss at the amount they will be getting in now, but it's a loss that they were fully aware was suppose to happen. Worse of all, they are calling the online streaming of the show a promotion so that they wont have to pay for that. Such bullshit.

And guess what, it's time the studios gave up hording the amounts. Becuase come summer those SAG and DGA members will be out with picket lines as well.

All this writers strike is doing is making all writers targets for a huge beatdown when they meet fans of the shows they are messing with.
Actually, a lot of writers are getting support. Hell, you should see the picket lines. People come down with sodas and cookies. There is no bad blood with those who are actually using logic.

This is the best quote of everything

When you illegally download something and the network doesn't get any money for it, they call it piracy. But when you download something or watch streaming video with commercials and the writers don't get any money for it, the networks call it promotion.
Old 11-08-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad about 24. Yes, last season wasn't the greatest (though the first four hours were awesome) but I still enjoyed it enough and was really looking forward to my Jack Bauer Power Hour.

I say give me the eight episodes filmed. Spread it out once once every two weeks or once every month and I wouldn't mind.

Here's hoping this strike can be resolved next week or something. I don't think I can stand the non stop reality show/game show (Deal or No Deal will be on every night here pretty soon at this rate) lineup that is likely in store.
Old 11-09-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's not completely dead. They are just going to start showing them after the strike and after more/all are completed. So season 7 will still happen.
Old 11-09-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Actors and producers already get a percentage...
Old 11-09-07, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
no, they want PROPER compensation for their work.
What's improper about their compensation? Most software writers don't get royalties; they get their salary and that's it. What makes TV writers so special?
Old 11-09-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
What's improper about their compensation? Most software writers don't get royalties; they get their salary and that's it. What makes TV writers so special?
Because Writers already get royalties from syndication. What they don't get is residuals from internet streaming which is exactly the same as showing it again. The network gets the advertising dollar the same way as they would in syndication.

What the difference the network is saying is that streaming video is considered "promotion" instead of syndication in order to get out of paying that royalty they would have received.

Also, the deal for .4 cents was made as a lower amount in good faith to make it so that the studios would push harder for the home video market. It wasn't a big deal in 88, but it is a big deal now when home video sales are finally up and a key role. Shit, just going off inflation the .4 cents is off.

So what makes writers different than software programmers? Well, for one thing writing is not a stable gig compared to software programmers. For another it's like comparing apples and oranges. Might as well ask why Musicians or the song writers get residuals?
Old 11-09-07, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
If both sides let this thing drag on into the new year, I'm not gonna feel sorry for any of them when the TV viewing public gives them the finger and moves on to alternative forms of entertainment(like reading, God forbid).
Speaking of alternative forms of entertainment, this strike shouldn't affect comic books (reading is reading)?

Might as well ask that since Jackskeleton is here.
Old 11-09-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting, looks like Fox might be airing the unaired 1994 pilot of "24." Check it out.
Old 11-09-07, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ranger
Speaking of alternative forms of entertainment, this strike shouldn't affect comic books (reading is reading)?

Might as well ask that since Jackskeleton is here.

Comics aren't unionized. So nope. Hell, in a recent interview Joss Whedon said he would love to work on more comics, but he actually wants a steady paycheck.

Comics wont be effected at all by this.
Old 11-09-07, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
From the profits they are making. Go to NBC or The Daily Show and check out a web streamed episode. It's being brought to you by the folks of whoever is sponsoring it as you are forced to sit through ads. Those advertisers and their buck is what is suppose to pay the writers.
Right, so less money coming into the network means they are going to have to make it up somewhere else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.