Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Next Great American Band--Auditions--10/19/07

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
i agree, DRG. While i wouldn't say the addition of drums and bass ruined the clark brothers completely, it definitely changed their sound for the worse. as for their original, the lyrics were bad, but the music was still great.

clark brothers are still my favorite, followed by Sixwire (who are still a little too perfect for me, but they have roughened up the dges a bit).

light of doom and DMHO are clearly the bottom 2 out of who's left, but it makes sense that they're still around, as brainee said above. They have large voting factions. it honestly wouldn't surprise me if one of them won.

as to the judges, I agree with you, brainee. Sheila E was good at the beginning, then has converted to the Paula "I love everything" role. Johnny Rzeznik is so worried about the crowd, he's afraid to really say something critical. And he's the one with the best musical advice. I think Dicko is giving great advice in terms of marketability, but he is being cut short. good catch.
Old 12-15-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Sounds like next week is the last one ... sticking with a Final 3 instead of the Final 2. And the show is pulling out all the stops for superstar performers: the Goo-Goo Dolls, Sheila E, and maybe Dicko in a Santa suit. Wonder how they managed to swing that type of commitment?

I do have to give props to the show - they cut out most of the "getting to know the band" segments and gave 3 songs each to the bands. Then again, 2 of them were forced covers and the third was a repeat of an earlier original. Dicko cracked me up calling the audience "peasants" when they booed him - reminded me of a slightly more congenial Bobby "The Brain" Heenan (and that's a complement).

LOD was out of their depth, but it robs a sizable bit of entertainment value for me. If any of you check out "Vote For the Worst", there's a troublesome report by LOD's manager. Could be sour grapes, but it rings true to me. His words:
This trainwreck happened because NGAB wanted it to. The show's music director Ricky Minor arranged ALL of the music for us this week. The big drums in "We Will Rock You" were his brilliant idea and NONE of the kids wanted to use them. In fact we didn't even want to play that song at all. We chose "Stone Cold Crazy" and "Tie Your Mother Down". I wrote our original song "A Matter of Time" but Ricky Minor did a complete remix, adding new parts and basically chopping the shit out of it. And again we didn't even want to play that song, we wanted to play "Speed Demon" another original that has a much stronger hook. I guess they're ready for the kids to come home.
Without LOD, or some of the chirpier pop/rock bands like Tres Bien or Dotx3, it's a really dull show for me. Denver's "September" cover was awful ... textbook karaoke, with nothing new added. Denver is one of the least funky men on the planet. Doesn't matter if it has horns in it ... EW&F is not their thing. Their style fit "Vehicle" better, but again ... nothing new. I got some enjoyment from hearing them come up with brass arrangements for other songs, but its dull having them cover songs already featuring those instruments.

I know a few of you here really like the Clark brothers. That's fine, and I won't deny their talent. I just don't like listening to their music. The singers voice sounded completely shot (and wasn't even that great earlier in the season). And all of their "amazing" arrangements are starting to sound the same to me: swirly strings to start, slow-building shouty vocals that rob the songs of much of their melody, some shredding solos, and finish up with some more impassioned shouting. Their "Save the World" sounded just like their "Gimme Shelter" to me. They do seem to be the producer's chosen ones, so the judges must rave about everything they do.

I think most of us are on the same page about 6Wire. They're undeniably a tight band that plays well. I just don't know if there's anything special about them to make them stand above any of a number of fine bar bands across the country. These guys are no spring chickens ... in fact, some time ago they had a major label shot and it failed. It may be telling that with the few opportunities they've had to play originals, they picked the same song 3 times. Maybe that's the only decent original they've managed to write in the many years they've been in the business, and they're really best suited to doing covers at bars/clubs or serve as someone else's backing band.

Last edited by brainee; 12-16-07 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-15-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sixwire played a couple of other originals, and they weren't bad. And I do like the Clark Brothers, mainly because their performances feel authentic and not confined to some conventional box, but I can see how their style could get repetitive. I pretty much agree with everything else you posted. I like Denver, but I wish Dot Dot Dot were in the final to bring some energy. That "September" cover was indeed awful.

Light of Doom should have been gone weeks ago, so I'm not surprised if the producers sabotaged them a bit. Frankly, I'm happy they did. I hope Light of Doom finds success in the future as they get better, but I was tired of them for this competition.

das
Old 12-16-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
When I went to BMG Music to search for a John Denver CD (don't ask), I was surprised to see that DMHO had 3 CDs listed! Rooting for SixWire to win it all.
Old 12-17-07, 09:32 AM

brainee, i do agree with what you've posted - and i've been a fan of the clark brothers. i can see how they would get repetitive, and i didn't really like their version of "change the world". But i still love their sound, especially the dobro. And the lead is passionate, although he gets a little shouty.

yes, sixwire played a few other originals, and they actually were pretty decent. but i think they played their best shot at a radio hit. I could hear that song on the radio here in Nashville.

so it's definitely between those two for me. Denver (the lead, not the band) contiues to be a joke. the musicianship is right, but he is just so wrong.

Sad to hear that about Light of Doom. Wonder if it really is true.

I miss Tres Bien as well. I actually liked them quite a bit. I also miss the guitarist from Rocket.
Old 12-17-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Whether that is true about LOD or not, they were the Sanjaya of this competition. They had no business competing with these acts and where there only for curiosity. I'm not surprised to hear their "manager" writes their songs. They are a completely made up act for their parents to cash in on.

I was surprised to hear 6W signature song yet again. It's a good country rock song, but honestly, play something else already.
Old 12-17-07, 09:56 AM

you can't deny that LOD is good. they're much better than a large percentage of adult bands out there. I'm not surprised at all to hear someone else writes their songs. but that's not a huge deal. I wouldn't want them to win this, but i thought they were entertaining.
Old 12-17-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
you can't deny that LOD is good. they're much better than a large percentage of adult bands out there. I'm not surprised at all to hear someone else writes their songs. but that's not a huge deal. I wouldn't want them to win this, but i thought they were entertaining.
There is a difference between "good" and "entertaining". I found them to be neither.
Old 12-17-07, 10:11 AM

not necessarily. If a band is good, they'd also be entertaining. note that i said "good", not amazing, not outstanding, not great. they were above average, meaning good. They were far away from being my favorite in this competetion, but i'm not going to pretend that they weren't talented.
Old 12-17-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

not necessarily. If a band is good, they'd also be entertaining. note that i said "good", not amazing, not outstanding, not great. they were above average, meaning good. They were far away from being my favorite in this competetion, but i'm not going to pretend that they weren't talented.
I guess it's not fair to hold them to a standard of guys playing for decades. They are good for their age, I will give you that. But generally speaking, taking age out of the equation, IMHO they are terrible.
Old 12-17-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh no ... I just realized that I'll be stuck with holiday traveling to visit my family at the time of the finale I'd ask them to record it for me, but I think I'm ashamed to admit I watch this crap

I guess it's not surprising that TNGAB pretty much fabricated the real story of LOD ... making it seem like the kids were all school friends that got together on their own to form a band. That's the more "sitcommy" story. Though the truth isn't such a bad story either - about a local small-time rock music teacher who was inspired by "School of Rock" to see if he could pull his own students together to do something similar (here's an article I found that goes into the backstory a little if you're interested: http://nctimes.com/articles/2007/11/...4811_24_07.txt ). If nothing else, LOD is a pretty good advertisement for his lessons.
Old 12-17-07, 11:55 AM

i believe there was an off-hand comment about the rock teacher in the audition episode... but then they never mentioned it again.
Old 12-18-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They recently taped the finale. For those of you who want to ruin all the drama and excitement, the winner is ...
Spoiler:
The Clark Brothers! Sixwire came in 2nd (Denver and his Dorkestra 3rd). And Sheila E cries and proclaims that she can see the light of God shining from the Clark Brothers On second thought, maybe its a good thing I'm going to miss this.
Old 12-22-07, 01:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The finale wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, the right band won IMO. I thought the multiband Christmas jam/melody was actually a lot more fun than Idol's goofy group numbers. As low rated as this show has been I wonder what exactly it will lead to for any of these bands... I mean if winning American Idol can't even guarantee a successful album I can't imagine this show being a huge boost considering it has about a 50th of the viewers.
Old 12-22-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the finale was very entertaining. I liked how many of the bands played together. I was laughing at the little dude from LOD playing jingle bells for Tres Bien - he was like their little elf!

I was very happy that the Clark brothers won.

Hilarious when Rzeznik introduced SixWire: "Kids, lock up your moms, it's SixWire!"

I noticed Franklin Bridge was absent from the finale. Are they pissed they got eliminated so early?

The Likes of You were amazing. I really liked that song. I wish they had gone farther in the competition.
Old 12-22-07, 11:51 PM

i really, really liked the christmas medley. everyone seemed to have a great time doing it, and it was fun to watch. And they really picked songs that suited their style - most notably Tres Bien with "Christmastime" and Cliff Wagner with "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".

And i loved that there were always members of other bands in there with the main group that was playing. like someone mentioned above, the drummer from Light of Doom playing the jingle bells was hilarious.

the 2 things i could have done without in this show:

1) the performances by Sheila E. and Goo Goo Dolls. Sheila just banged on the drums, and rzeznik sounded pretty off. I see why they did it, but it was far from being great.

2) yet a THIRD "shot" for that lead singer guy that didn't make the top 12 originally. They gave him 2 chances in the audition show, and he gets more exposure here. what is unique about him? decent voice, but the dude's stage presence consisted of standing there, holding the mike-stand.

and how about the quick, brutal reveal to Denver that they didn't win? that was actually pretty funny.

So of the final 12, the following were missing from the finale - Franklin Bridge, Rocket, The Muggs, and The Hatch. Is that it? Shame we couldn't have seen that guitarist from Rocket one more time...
Old 01-06-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After today's football games, I let my TV run on NBC and stumbled on a repeat of the Peyton Manning Saturday Night Live with Carrie Underwood. Guess who's playing the fiddle and providing background vocals ... Ashley Clark. I smell a C-O-N-spiracy!

das
Old 04-28-10, 08:25 AM

Re: The Next Great American Band--Auditions--10/19/07

I know this is an old bump, but i was just online today, wondering what happened to the Clark brothers. Turns out, they changed their name to Sons of Sylvia, and actually released their first album yesterday (yes, crazy coincidence):

http://www.amazon.com/Revelation-Son...2460953&sr=8-1
Old 04-28-10, 10:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I just watched them on American Idol tonight. They were awesome on the Band show, but they've completely changed their sound and are now just another generic pop band. Very disappointing.
Old 04-28-10, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. And my opinion is just based on iTunes samples. There's really only one song that sounds like they did on the show - that high energy sound. Now they sound like all the other manufactured pop-country groups that are out there.