Journeyman--"The Year of the Rabbit"--10/15/07

Old 10-15-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Journeyman--"The Year of the Rabbit"--10/15/07

Originally aired: 10/15/07

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Dan finds himself in 1998 following a woman who cofounded a software company, and discovers her fiancé was cooking the books. Meanwhile, Dan's trips disrupt Katie's fund-raiser gala, and the tension only escalates when he admits he sees Livia regularly in the past.
Old 10-15-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess on any kind of twist in this series is that the person Dan spoke to on the
phone in 2007 about tachyons (sp?) will turn into an evil traveller, and that Olivia is
there to stop Dan from giving the person on the phone the info needed to time jump
(be it triggering an idea whereupon he figures it out, or something in Dan that can be
identified upon study).
Old 10-15-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This show just annoys me, but I tuned in tonight because nothing else was on (since the Falcons pre-empted the CBS lineup and I'm a few episodes behind on the Bachelor). I'm at the point of "who cares?" when Dan goes on his trips since we don't know why these "Touched by a Time-Traveling Angel" saves are all that important in the grand scheme of things. Sure, I guess they'll take their sweet time in revealing how each person saved was important, but for now, it's like watching TV with fogged up sunglasses.
Old 10-16-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another fun episode. The present-time family drama isn't my favorite, but I get the need for it and I like having him anchored in the present.

The tachyon guy is an interesting new twist and I had a bit of the same delayed reaction as McKidd when the call came in the past.

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm at the point of "who cares?" when Dan goes on his trips since we don't know why these "Touched by a Time-Traveling Angel" saves are all that important in the grand scheme of things. Sure, I guess they'll take their sweet time in revealing how each person saved was important, but for now, it's like watching TV with fogged up sunglasses.
I could be wrong but I don't think there's any big tapestry with all of the people being saved. I get the impression that the arcs are limited to the family drama and figuring out how and why he is traveling, while the individual stories in the past are more episodic.
Old 10-16-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
The 'past' storyline in this episode was kind of a bore.

Dan's wife's reaction to this whole situation just seems kind of weird. Her husband is being pulled back in time against his will at random moments to change (to correct?) history. And all she can do is be pissed off and mopey because his trips are an inconvenience to her. Wake up, bitch! The dude is time-traveling at the mercy of some unknown higher power! That's a little more important than whether he's late for dinner or whether he fixes the toilet or if he makes it to your little party. Seriously, Dan needs to boot her ass and hook up with time-traveling Livia, who's much hotter.
Old 10-16-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
I thought it was an entertaining episode. The past storyline did seem a little dry to me. But, I was intrigued by the phone call Dan received while in the past.

Next weeks episode does like intriguing with:
Spoiler:
Dan disappearing while taking his son out
Old 10-16-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm really liking this show. I always make it a point to watch it right away because I've looked forward to it all week. Plus the wife really give me the hot so that has to go for something.
Old 10-16-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I find Kate a little ducky looking, with wide set eyes, and a bit on the skinny side.
Old 10-16-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seeing him holding the pipe wrench made me wonder if we'll see an episode where he touching someone (his wife) when he travels and brings the other person along with him. Or maybe he'll need to bring someone along to help. I think he should drag his wife along just once so she'll be a bit more understanding about it.

As for the previews for next week,
Spoiler:
I was wondering part way through the episode what would happen if you were baby-sitting and disappeared. Strange that it seems they'll be showing exactly that next week!
Old 10-16-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I find Kate a little ducky looking, with wide set eyes, and a bit on the skinny side.
She's got a Mary Tyler Moore vibe - every time Dan disappears, I can hear Katie saying. "Oh, Rob!"
Old 10-17-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked this ep. I agree the past storyline was weak this week, but the tachyon guy has my total interest. That's what this show needs. Just something a little extra ontop of the thing he has to fix in the past.

Quantum Leap didn't have that, but the things Sam had to fix were much more interesting so they didn't need anything extra. Unless Journeyman starts to have mysteries that are a bit deeper than stop X from getting killed, they need to give the viewer something else to care about.
Old 10-17-07, 08:18 AM

Tachyon guy is an intriguing touch.

I'm in the minority here but I really like this show even though I know it won't last the season.

I hope they reveal enough, before it gets the ax, that I can make a good "guess" as to what's really going on.
Old 10-17-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like this show. Sure there are slow points and plot holes, but the the acting, characterizations are top notch and twists are intriguing. The show unfortunately has a niche appeal and tough time slot, so I don't expect it to survive, but I will continue to watch.

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Dan's wife's reaction to this whole situation just seems kind of weird. Her husband is being pulled back in time against his will at random moments to change (to correct?) history. And all she can do is be pissed off and mopey because his trips are an inconvenience to her.
This bugs me too. I think should would be somewhat blown away by the concept and not so self involved.
Old 10-17-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm tired of Katie, too.

Glad they are finally starting to reveal something that has to do w/ the big picture.
Old 10-17-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm annoyed by the drama with the wife too but I don't think it's particularly unrealistic. He's done stupid thinks like lie about seeing Livia and make promises that he can't keep, like not missing the big gala she was chairing. He had clearly argued against geetting a plumber and then that whole situation was made worse when he jumps right in the middle of it and she's left dealing with the mess. No matter what the reason that would piss most people off, rational or not.

When he came back in the middle of the gala he seemed like he couldn't read her mood in the slightest. She was clearly worried and upset and wanted to talk and he kept brushing off her questions and trying to make her dance. It was obvious that he was still working off of the adrenaline rush of the fight in the past but it still doesn't really excuse his behavior. He's got to meet her halfway on some of this stuff.

That said it still bores me and is my least favorite aspect of the show. I just think it's a pretty realistic and reasonable reaction.
Old 10-17-07, 09:36 AM

do we have any answers regarding Olivia, where does she live now? how does she know where dan is traveling all the time?
Old 10-17-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm giving this show one, maybe two more episodes. I'm not tuning in each week to see a show about a wife who is pissed off because her husband time travels.

I also don't like how they love to just dick around with the audience. Like in the pilot where he disappears and then shows up at the kid's concert and they end the scene with a shot of him and the wife staring at each other. Then last week episode ends with her finding the watch and confronts him about it and again they just cut off the scene. And then after the break they just skip over whatever followed that.

I'm not too excited about the "big picture" because based on other aspects of this show they like setting things up but have a problem producing the payoff.
Old 10-17-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This show is much more fun to rail on IRL (which I did with a co-worker this morning).

[snide]I'm waiting for Dan to bounce while in mid-thrust with the wife[/snide ]. (then landing in a church butt nekkid in between the pews would be funny to me.)

Dan and Katie just don't seem all that phased about the fantastical nature of him bouncing back and forth in time. The home life stuff isn't that engaging to me. They have made the premise of the show "Journeyman" into a sidenote for what? an examination of the romantic underpinings of 2 brothers in love with the same woman at different points of their lives? And why doesn't Dan just sit Livia down and get the 411 from the point when she "disappeared" instead of writing the Dan the running man plots to keep such revelations as nuggets to string along the viewers? Livia just remains so obtuse in her moments with Dan, it just rings false to me, it annoys me.
Old 10-18-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This show just annoys me, but I tuned in tonight because nothing else was on (since the Falcons pre-empted the CBS lineup and I'm a few episodes behind on the Bachelor). I'm at the point of "who cares?" when Dan goes on his trips since we don't know why these "Touched by a Time-Traveling Angel" saves are all that important in the grand scheme of things. Sure, I guess they'll take their sweet time in revealing how each person saved was important, but for now, it's like watching TV with fogged up sunglasses.
Have you ever thought they are building towards the answers like Heroes was last season. Does everything have to be told to the audience in the first episode.
I like the show and how they keep revealing a bit more each week.
Old 10-18-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem is that I don't enjoy 80% of the content in each episode. That wasn't the case with Heroes. Will it get better? Maybe, hopefully.
Old 10-18-07, 06:23 PM
Banned

Are we thinking the tachyon guy is also a traveler or could he have managed to make a phone call across time to the past? He did say he would call back and from his end I'm sure it just sounded like a bad cell connection.

He could just be messing with Dan and is actually the one controlling his trips back through time.

I do think they focused on the wrench for a reason. That it's possible to bring other things across with you. I'm sure his wife will start coming with him soon. Otherwise, her character does practically the same thing in every episode. She's still hot in a milfy kinda way but seriously underused as an actress.
Old 10-18-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well they've already established with his clothes and cell phone that he can bring things back with him. I wouldn't mind seeing him pull someone back with him though, that could definitely lead to some good story possibilities.
Old 10-22-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still liked this episode but this time I was annoyed that we never found out the ramifications of him saving the girl in the past... I was expecting him to look her up or something at the end, but then it was just over. At least when he's gone back in past episodes, even if it's not a huge point, we've been given some insight into why he had to intervene in the past, but here we didn't get anything... but the phone call and tachayon guy is really cool.