Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here concerned about the looming WGA strike?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone here concerned about the looming WGA strike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I'm assuming the threat of this strike is the only reason Journeyman hasn't been pulled, I hope it lasts just long enough to let them air the remaining episodes they've made for it. Although Red Dog's idea about letting it run through college basketball season has some appeal as well.
Old 11-02-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
We were joking here that when CBS starts to run out of shows to put on the air during the strike, they'll end up showing the remaining run of Viva Laughlin and it'll become a hit that they'll order more episodes.
Old 11-02-07, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
We were joking here that when CBS starts to run out of shows to put on the air during the strike, they'll end up showing the remaining run of Viva Laughlin and it'll become a hit that they'll order more episodes.
Don't give CBS any ideas.

I expect Jericho to come back sooner though.
Old 11-02-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

First up: FOX's "Who Wants To Be A TV Writer?"

Well played... well played.
Old 11-04-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So they're suppose to sit down and have talks tomorrow. I expect much more of the "Fuck you, we don't want to give you the %, thus giving the DGA and SAG contracts the same shit later this year" which will just lead to a strike come monday.
Old 11-04-07, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this strike happens - just how soon can we expect these early season finales to start?
Old 11-04-07, 09:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
If this strike happens - just how soon can we expect these early season finales to start?
Early December 2007 time frame.

I think the strike could result in a couple of things:

1) An explosion in new reality shows.

2) The possibility that we could see older programs come back on air as "fillers," provided the networks still have broadcast rights to the programs.

3) Disney could possibly move some of their ESPN sports programming to ABC. That means NBA games during the winter and MLB games in the spring normally shown on ESPN/ESPN2 could end up on ABC (e.g., Wednesday and Friday night NBA games).
Old 11-04-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
So they're suppose to sit down and have talks tomorrow. I expect much more of the "Fuck you, we don't want to give you the %, thus giving the DGA and SAG contracts the same shit later this year" which will just lead to a strike come monday.
Why the hell are the networks intransigent over this? From what I understand the sticking point is an increase in home video residuals from 4 cents to 8 cents. Okay, that's a 100% increase, but it's 8 lousy cents! What's the average profit on a DVD?
Old 11-04-07, 09:03 AM
Banned

So is this going to pretty much kill the upcoming season of Lost, (which I believe was set for february)? How about 24?
Old 11-04-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
So is this going to pretty much kill the upcoming season of Lost, (which I believe was set for february)? How about 24?
I actually read that Lost may be the one show least affected. Supposedly they've been stockpiling scripts and have 14 or the 16 done for Season 4.

I'm hoping this is true
Old 11-04-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
I actually read that Lost may be the one show least affected. Supposedly they've been stockpiling scripts and have 14 or the 16 done for Season 4.

I'm hoping this is true
That's what I heard, and that's why they are delaying the premier of the season so they can run them continuously while the strike is on. It will be a good move if the strike happens...one of the few new original shows on TV and all
Old 11-04-07, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Why the hell are the networks intransigent over this? From what I understand the sticking point is an increase in home video residuals from 4 cents to 8 cents. Okay, that's a 100% increase, but it's 8 lousy cents! What's the average profit on a DVD?
Because then other two unions will also want $0.08 / DVD when they renegotiate in 2008.

Thats $0.24 / DVD out the window.
Old 11-04-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I guess this will mean a whole lot of new reality shows.

First up: FOX's "Who Wants To Be A TV Writer?"

classic.
Old 11-04-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
24 is going to be hard hit by this. Supposedly they are working on episodes 7 and 8 right now and only have enough scripts to finish 30% of the season. Plus, the extremely late start shooting the season didn't help matters either.

I believe the Sarah Connor Chronicles should be okay because FOX only ordered 13 episodes and they have been shooting since the summer.
Old 11-04-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My guess is that 24 and Heroes are the shows most likely to be seriously messed up by a 3 month or longer strike. Actually, Heroes might be screwed if the strike isn't resolved this month based on what I have seen in this forum about them making contingency plans to wrap the season with an alternate ending to the last episode they have shot. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Heroes handled that way and then end up cancelled if NBC is unhappy about cost to viewership. If 24 is only 30% done, I think they would just have no choice but to hold the show until the strike was over. Hopefully that wouldn't totally screw up whatever they're shooting (due to locations, actor availability, etc). I imagine LOST should have at least half a season shot and could be pushed back slightly to improve its situation.

The show I'm most worried about that I have heard nothing about is The Shield. Anybody have an idea as to whether the final season is completely shot at this point or not?
Old 11-04-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
My guess is that 24 and Heroes are the shows most likely to be seriously messed up by a 3 month or longer strike. Actually, Heroes might be screwed if the strike isn't resolved this month based on what I have seen in this forum about them making contingency plans to wrap the season with an alternate ending to the last episode they have shot. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Heroes handled that way and then end up cancelled if NBC is unhappy about cost to viewership. If 24 is only 30% done, I think they would just have no choice but to hold the show until the strike was over. Hopefully that wouldn't totally screw up whatever they're shooting (due to locations, actor availability, etc). I imagine LOST should have at least half a season shot and could be pushed back slightly to improve its situation.

The show I'm most worried about that I have heard nothing about is The Shield. Anybody have an idea as to whether the final season is completely shot at this point or not?
I'm also worried about The Shield. There has been no mention how much of it has been completed. It's suppose to premiere sometime in 2008.
Old 11-04-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

The writers and studios are meeting today to try one last time for a new contract to prevent a strike. This might be the last chance to save the 2007-08 TV season.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071104/hollywood_labor.html
Old 11-04-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Again.. I see a future for Viva Laughlin... and maybe ABC can show Emily's Reasons Why Not..
Old 11-04-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Another show that would be hurt by the strike is Army Wives. Lifetime ordered an 18 episode 2nd season that's suppose to air in the spring.
Old 11-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the WGA goes on strike tonight, I'd say there's probably a 95%+ likelyhood that the DGA and SAG will do the same when their contracts expire in the next few months. It's good for them, they can collectively bargain if all are striking, but really, really bad for me, trying to get a job in Hollywood in approx 6 months.
Old 11-04-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
If the WGA goes on strike tonight, I'd say there's probably a 95%+ likelyhood that the DGA and SAG will do the same when their contracts expire in the next few months. It's good for them, they can collectively bargain if all are striking, but really, really bad for me, trying to get a job in Hollywood in approx 6 months.
I think it's more likely that the WGA will essentially set the parameters for the DGA and SAG because those organizations are going to want deals with similar provisions and compensation. My guess is that the producers will try their best to avoid a strike by all three bodies -- that could end up being really bad for business.
Old 11-04-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think it's more likely that the WGA will essentially set the parameters for the DGA and SAG because those organizations are going to want deals with similar provisions and compensation. My guess is that the producers will try their best to avoid a strike by all three bodies -- that could end up being really bad for business.
It's a complicated mess between the Producers, Studios and Writers/Directors/Actors. It's important to remember that there are two guilds that act for the different "producers" of a show or film. The PGA is the same as the WGA or SAG in that it protects the interest of individual producers and makes sure they get paid fair wages and what not. The AMPTP collectively bargains for the interests of the producers but is ultimately acting in the interests of the studios.

I'm working on getting into producing, so I'm a bit biased, but realize that the problem the producers have here is that the cut of the residuals is essentially coming out of their pocket. I don't think the writers are getting a fair share either, but entry level producers, and even mid-range producers (APs for example), don't make anywhere near what the writers and actors do. The EPs definitely have the potential for a lot of money, but they also may have fronted a lot of money for the show (ie Mark Burnett and Survivor).

So while I agree that the Writers/Directors/Actors may not be making enough money of residuals, producers are having their piece of the pie cut drastically, while the studio retains an even larger portion of the profit.
Old 11-04-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm also worried about The Shield. There has been no mention how much of it has been completed. It's suppose to premiere sometime in 2008.
I've read that all of "The Shield" scripts for the season have been turned in. As for "Lost" and "24," your answers are in this article: "Lost" will only have half of its 16 eps done, "24" will only have 8 or 9 eps of 24.
Old 11-04-07, 08:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
Early December 2007 time frame.

I think the strike could result in a couple of things:3) Disney could possibly move some of their ESPN sports programming to ABC. That means NBA games during the winter and MLB games in the spring normally shown on ESPN/ESPN2 could end up on ABC (e.g., Wednesday and Friday night NBA games).

How long does anyone think this strike would reasonably last? I really couldn't see lasting until spring.
Old 11-04-07, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Geddlo
How long does anyone think this strike would reasonably last? I really couldn't see lasting until spring.
The last time WGA went on strike it lasted nearly half a year (154 days) in 1988. If a strike does occur I wouldn't be surprised it lasts at least this long, and it could "bleed over" to the SAG/AFTRA and DGA strikes coming July 2008.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.