Aliens in America

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Aliens in America

Old 10-02-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Aliens in America

I did not see a thread on this one.

I really enjoyed this premier ep, and found this show to be in the same vein as Freeks and Geeks and Wonder Years.

Easily one of the best comedies of this year and instantly Season Passed.

Looking forward to the season.
Old 10-02-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was weird seeing Scott Patterson (Luke on "Gilmore Girls) without a baseball cap on backwards, and was it really a coincidence that there were 2 knucklehead brother with the last name "Palladino" (more Gilmore Girl co-inky-dinky)? Loved Raja's reaction to first seeing the sister.
Old 10-02-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to make a thread on this- I really liked this show. The pilot was a little uneven but I'm interested in seeing how this develops.

I have two other conflicts in this time slot, so I'll be watching it live for the time being. I haven't done that in a long time.
Old 10-02-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was hilarious...and the sister is hot as hell...liked the bit about her asking for birth control and meeting her boyfriend - funny! Raja was great and I really liked the relationship between the two leads... I'm tuning in next week. Hopefully this show catches on.
Old 10-02-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is available as a free download at Itunes.

I really enjoyed this. I have so many conflicts at the Monday 8pm hour, it makes it difficult to watch. I'm going to have to have to record it every week on my bedroom Tivo and catch up on it on nights when I can't sleep.

The ratings were really bad for this, even by CW standards (along with Everbody Hates Chris.)

I wish that the CW would repeat this in another time slot.
Old 10-02-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia

I really enjoyed this. I have so many conflicts at the Monday 8pm hour, it makes it difficult to watch. I'm going to have to have to record it every week on my bedroom Tivo and catch up on it on nights when I can't sleep.

The ratings were really bad for this, even by CW standards (along with Everbody Hates Chris.)

I wish that the CW would repeat this in another time slot.
Damn. I really enjoyed the pilot.
Old 10-02-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weren't the ratings about equal to what Veronica Mars usually got, or maybe slightly less?
Old 10-02-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I wanted to catch this as I saw a really good review but missed it. I'd go download it, but if the ratings weren't good I'm not sure I want to get invested in yet another soon-to-be-cancelled show. True Calling was the last! I don't even begin watching most tv shows anymore unless it seems like there's a good shot of it sticking around.
Old 10-02-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a catch 22. People won't watch a good show because they fear it being cancelled. And then the show is cancelled...because people didn't watch.
Old 10-02-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Seantn
It's a catch 22. People won't watch a good show because they fear it being cancelled. And then the show is cancelled...because people didn't watch.
Screw that outlook. Nothing lasts forever, if you find something you enjoy watching, just keep watching it until it's over. Don't let fear control your TV viewing.
Old 10-02-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Weren't the ratings about equal to what Veronica Mars usually got, or maybe slightly less?
They were about the same as "Runaway" got last year and that got yanked after only a few episodes (I'm still bitter because I enjoyed that show.)

But hopefully the CW will stick this out due to the great reviews and the fact it is paired with Everybody Hates Chris (although that show is doing worse this year also.)
Old 10-02-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Screw that outlook. Nothing lasts forever, if you find something you enjoy watching, just keep watching it until it's over. Don't let fear control your TV viewing.
I'm in agreement with you on that, I was just saying it since the previous poster said he was afraid to watch it for that very reason.

Everything will get cancelled eventually, might as well watch what you want.
Old 10-03-07, 10:05 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought this was entertaining but not all that funny. The parents and sister seemed a bit too much like caricatures. I also thought it was lame that the exchange student and the sister had not only seen each other, but seemed completely unaware of each other's existence until a day after he's there. The best parts for me were the school scenes. I think it will pick up once the guys start going to school together though.
Old 10-10-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked the second ep as well, and am finding this show to be the funniest new comedy of the year.

Though Raj walking naked through the locker room was a rip, and the Say Anything ripoff was good stuff. Glad to see they have splurged for a music budget.
Old 10-10-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was surprised that a thread had not been created for this sooner.
I watched it only because I heard it was one of the better shows of the new season. I didn't expect much but this was very funny. It had a Wonder Years vibe to it. Feel good, funny and thought provoking.

I hope CW sticks with this one.
Old 10-10-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where do you find free stuff on Itunes? I found Aliens in America pilot and second ep but it says 1.99.
Old 10-10-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
I want to record it but my recording/tuner capability is tight in that slot. Hopefully, it stays alive and is easy to get into w/o having seen previous eps because once Dancing with the Stars ends, I should be able to start recording it.
Old 10-10-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by madara
Where do you find free stuff on Itunes? I found Aliens in America pilot and second ep but it says 1.99.
There's actually a section on the main page called "Free on iTunes" it's right under the "Staff Favorites" Aliens in America is no longer offered free... it must have been a 2 week deal - I dl'd it a couple weeks ago...

I just got around to watching it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I missed the ep. this week, but I'll try and catch it in the future.
Old 10-15-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I want to record it but my recording/tuner capability is tight in that slot. Hopefully, it stays alive and is easy to get into w/o having seen previous eps because once Dancing with the Stars ends, I should be able to start recording it.

With no Prison Break tonight, I was able to record it, and I thought this was a very funny show - a pleasant surprise.
Old 10-16-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been enjoying it. Thought Rocket Club was hilarious (especially when they revealed the uniform lol).

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I thought it was hilarious...and the sister is hot as hell...liked the bit about her asking for birth control and meeting her boyfriend - funny! Raja was great and I really liked the relationship between the two leads... I'm tuning in next week. Hopefully this show catches on.
The sister is from Nickelodeon's "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide"

Last edited by nightwing82; 10-16-07 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-16-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really enjoying this show. My second favorite new show of the season (after Pushing Daises).
Old 03-24-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Last night's episode fulfilled the show's promise, very nice episode that was wrapped up well. Glad to see Fred Savage (now director) impart some of his Wonder Years magic to the episode.
Old 03-24-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk God

That was a very good episode last night.
Old 03-24-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Bah.

Why the fuck am I watching this show? It's not like the CW is going to renew it. Then again, shouldn't this be expected? I mean, this is a network that has a show on it called "Girlicious". Why waste a half-hour on a show that actually shows some intelligence when we have half-naked chicks doing "the Worm" because they just found out they're getting makeovers..

Old 03-24-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The last two episodes had fewer than a million viewers.

Wow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.