'Andromeda Strain' Remake Infects A&E

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-an...,1266502.story

Ridley and Tony Scott will produce the miniseries
May 1, 2007

Ridley Scott and Tony Scott are bringing their long-gestating miniseries adaptation of "The Andromeda Strain" to A&E.

The cable network announced on Tuesday (May 1) that production on the Michael Crichton killer-bacteria drama will begin this summer with Mikael Salomon ("Salem's Lot") at the helm.

Robert Schenkkan ("The Quiet American") scripted the four-hour project.

Both Scotts plus David W. Zucker will executive produce for Scott Free Productions along with Tom Thayer of Traveler's Rest Films.

"'The Andromeda Strain' is the perfect fit for A&E's unique brand of dramatic entertainment, featuring evocative stories, powerful characters and A-list auspices," says Bob DeBitetto, A&E's executive vice president and general manages. "Ridley Scott and Tony Scott are two of the true visionaries of our time whose bodies of work have molded our perception of progressive storytelling, on film and television. We're thrilled to be working with them and their team on this iconic material."

Crichton's novel focuses on the outbreak of a deadly bacteria that reaches Earth via a downed satellite. After the bacteria wipes out a small town, a team of scientists rushes in to try to limit the damage.

The "Andromeda Strain" remake was originally announced back in 2004 as a four-hour miniseries for Sci Fi Channel, a logical pairing given that the Robert Wise-directed 1971 film is a part of Sci Fi parent NBC Universal's library.

I remember seeing the original movie in 1971 and it was pretty scary at that time. Hopefully the Scott's can do this justice.

Chris
Old 05-02-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original movie still holds up well and is pretty darn faithful to tone and plot of the novel.

That being said, I don't consider this to be "untouchable" and I look forward to seeing the remake. (Even realizing that the odds are not in its favor -- see The Shining, Lathe of Heaven, etc.)
Old 05-03-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
The original movie still holds up well and is pretty darn faithful to tone and plot of the novel.
Absolutely agree. Whenever I'm in a conversation about the typical disconnect between a book and a film, I bring this up as an example of how it can be done well.
Old 05-03-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched this a few weeks ago -- it still holds up, 36 years later! The only other film I can think of in the genre that still works is 2001....

...well, except for the fact that I still don't have a HAL!
Old 05-03-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Films that were done well the first time do not ever need to be remade, I don't care who is doing it, bad idea.
Old 05-03-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't agree with that statement, porieux, there isn't one and only way to tell a story. Although as a cable mini-series it has less of a chance of being good. I hope the Scotts have a big hand in this.
Old 05-03-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
A&E should get that checked out.

Before it gets all red and swollen.
Old 05-08-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I just watched this a few weeks ago -- it still holds up, 36 years later! The only other film I can think of in the genre that still works is 2001....

...well, except for the fact that I still don't have a HAL!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 2001 the novel written from the screenplay which Clarke and Kubrick collaborated on?
Old 05-08-07, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
The original movie is an excellent adaptation of an excellent book. Miniseries are usually a little sketchy, but it could be good.
Old 04-03-08, 11:36 AM

Update:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/And...u-Screens/9311

James