Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC's rating continue to slide...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: NBC's rating continue to slide...

And because content is king. If the shows aren't engaging, people aren't going to watch. They can promote the turds all they want. Even Two and a Half Men (which is such a terrible, unfunny piece of shit) had to identify with an audience.

The one show that will bring back the "cool kids" on Thursdays is Community. The show that they treated like crap.
Old 10-26-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Gee, all that annoying stuff they put on the screen during the shows (including the Olympics symbol!) couldn't possibly have ANYTHING to do with their ratings going down!

Can't re-post this enough times- though the ratings from this era look good compared to now!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N8id3o-BPbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"We lost to Channel Ocho???"
Old 04-23-14, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Not anymore or until the Rio Games in 2016

The NBC network is beleaguered no more.

After nearly a decade in the ratings cellar, NBC is poised to finish the prime-time TV season in May in first place in the coveted advertising demographic of viewers aged 18 to 49.

February's coverage of the Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia, generated strong viewership and $1.1 billion in revenue, Comcast executives said in announcing the Philadelphia-based company's first-quarter earnings, which exceeded analyst expectations.

For the quarter ended March 31, NBCUniversal revenue was up 28.8% to $6.9 billion. Excluding Olympics ad sales, NBCUniversal revenue grew 8%.

The Olympics were only part of the story, Roberts said, touting the job his NBC team -- including NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt -- has done to restore the peacock network to some of its past glory.

"It's an incredible turnaround story," Roberts said

The network has made gains in prime time, especially with "The Blacklist" with James Spader and the singing competition show "The Voice," and in late night, its high-profile switches in February have paid off. Jimmy Fallon, who replaced Jay Leno at "The Tonight Show," and Seth Meyers, who replaced Fallon, quickly scored in ratings.

At the NBC broadcast TV unit, which includes the network and television stations, revenue was up 72% to $2.6 billion, primarily due to strong ad sales for the Olympics. The Olympics contributed $846 million to the broadcast network's top line.

NBC should end the regular TV season next month with ratings 12% higher than the second-place finisher, NBCUniversal Chief Executive Steve Burke told analysts.

We are going into the upfront with the strongest position that we've had in a decade," Burke said. He noted that NBC's turnaround should help the media company increase its share of the advertising pie during the springtime sales season known as the upfront.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2zf64Ia1H

Old 04-23-14, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So 2 primetime hits and a sporting event that cost them a fortune and is every 4 years? Sounds like mostly spin.
Old 04-23-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So 2 primetime hits and a sporting event that cost them a fortune and is every 4 years? Sounds like mostly spin.
It's total spin. The reality is they can't launch a show to save their lives (and in honesty most networks can't). But hey, you gotta enjoy whatever victory you can in broadcast television these days.
Old 04-23-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Complete spin, most people inside the business don't believe that NBC makes much money from the Olympics after factoring in costs.
Old 04-23-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

To be fair all of the big 4 networks are having trouble. Outside of BBT everything is cratering on CBS, Outside of Modern Family and their Shonda Rimes Thursday shows ABC is not creating hits. Fox's Tuesday block keeps dipping and so does AI
Old 04-23-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm surprised that NBC has two shows I watch, until Heroes that channel never had anything the entire decade before that.
Old 04-23-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I'm surprised that NBC has two shows I watch, until Heroes that channel never had anything the entire decade before that.
Seinfeld, Friends, ER, West Wing, Law & Order, Conan O' Brien, SNL, NFL AFC package etc?
Old 04-24-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
It's total spin. The reality is they can't launch a show to save their lives (and in honesty most networks can't). But hey, you gotta enjoy whatever victory you can in broadcast television these days.
The Blacklist has been a pretty big hit for them. But its the 1st one in what seems lke years.
Old 04-24-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
The Blacklist has been a pretty big hit for them. But its the 1st one in what seems lke years.
The Blacklist was their biggest hit in years. Mondays at 10pm used to be a death slot for them.

They have some moderate hit dramas as well like Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Parenthood and Grimm. Hannibal is loved by the critics & has a lot of fans, but NBC didn't develop it & the ratings suck.

Funny how a lot of the posters here only think NBC is known for their low rated comedies. Comedy Thursday used to be their strongest day of the week, now it's their weakest night. Every new Thursday comedy they have attempted to launch has been a dud.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-24-14 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I blame "A Different World"- that ruined The Cosby Show.
Old 04-24-14, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Seinfeld, Friends, ER, West Wing, Law & Order, Conan O' Brien, SNL, NFL AFC package etc?
Never seen most of those (and I have watched many shows and still do) They could be perfectly entertaining (aside from sports, not my thing yet I will watch some olympics) Now I have seen clips of SNL, I could likely enjoy such a program.

I'm more drawn to the supernatural, sci-fi, magic, comic based, special abilities etc.... There are exceptions. I normally need something to hook me in.
Old 04-24-14, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish Hannibal was on Showtime, it would have perfectly filly the void Dexter left. It's a good show it's just not a great show, it needs to go a bit further bother psychologically and viscerally.
Old 04-24-14, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Outside of BBT everything is cratering on CBS
NCIS and NCIS: LA
Old 04-24-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I wish Hannibal was on Showtime, it would have perfectly filly the void Dexter left. It's a good show it's just not a great show, it needs to go a bit further bother psychologically and viscerally.
Can't agree. Think it is already great.
Old 04-24-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hannibal is arguable the best show on television.
Old 04-24-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saturday Night Fever?
Old 04-24-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

... uh, The Forbidden Dance?
Old 04-24-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've watched season 1 and the 1st 2 eps of season 2 in the last 2 weeks and I can't believe what they showed in the 2nd ep of season 2. I mean I don't know what more they could have shown that wouldn't have actually made me vomit.
Old 04-24-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I've watched season 1 and the 1st 2 eps of season 2 in the last 2 weeks and I can't believe what they showed in the 2nd ep of season 2. I mean I don't know what more they could have shown that wouldn't have actually made me vomit.
Other than nudity I don't think the show would be much different.
Old 04-24-14, 03:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I have been watching this on Amazon Prime, and until this post I had no idea it was a network show. I just assumed it was on AMC or FX.