Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New Quantum Leap and Tremors tv series coming to Sci-Fi!!!!!!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sci-Fi channel is developing a new Quantum Leap movie with the possibility of becoming a series and they are also doing a series based on the Tremors movies. You can read about it at www.scifi.com
Old 07-09-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Projects such as Quantum Leap and Tremors are exactly why SCI FI is excited about being part of the Universal family," said SCI FI president Bonnie Hammer in a statement. "We have an opportunity to access the rich Universal library—which includes a vast array of horror and sci-fi titles—to create new television experiences for a contemporary audience."
Translation: In addition to cancelling all shows that involve space, we can further reduce creativity by retooling old shows. This will cut costs to a bare minimum such that 15,000 viewers per week is actually a profitable business model.

As for Leap, I love it, but it was a pretty stupid show that was successful because of intangibles, namely the chemistry between Al and Sam. I don't see how a show like that could succeed in the saturated (and quite uninspired) "time travel" market we've had over the last decade.

das
Old 07-09-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with a new Leap series is that if they do it, it won't have Bakula, which would destroy the chemistry of the original show.

He'd probably be in the movie though, which would be cool.

Matt
Old 07-09-02, 09:39 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might be a female lead in the Quantum Leap Movie

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?26862

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The Sci Fi Channel is "bringing things back to Earth."

That was the word from network president Bonnie Hammer Tuesday (July 9) at the TV Critics Association press tour in Pasadena. Hammer says that the channel, which has one of the largest original-programming lineups on cable, wants to broaden its slate somewhat while keeping its core fans.

To that end, Sci Fi is planning a big programming event for each quarter, beginning with "Clive Barker's Saint Sinner," an original movie from the prolific horror writer, in October. Then in December, it will launch its most ambitious original project yet, the 20-hour miniseries "Taken."

Hammer says that although "Taken," which was executive produced by Steven Spielberg, deals with alien abductions, the multi-generational story has the feel more of an epic drama than a straight sci-fi series.

The network is also developing an update of the time-travel series "Quantum Leap" -- possibly with a female lead -- as a movie and possible "back-door" series pilot in 2003. A series based on the "Tremors" movies will also make its debut next year. Both are properties from the library of Universal, of which Sci Fi and parent USA are now a part.

In addition, Sci Fi has ordered 65 episodes of "The Dream Team," in which hosts Annabelle Gurwitch (TBS' "Dinner and a Movie" ) and psychotherapist/dream expert Michael Lennox help members of a studio audience and callers interpret their dreams.

The network also wants to continue developing what Hammer calls its "boy action movies" -- thrillers that involve sci-fi or fantasy elements and "mayhem every 8 minutes or so." A number of them will be included in the 22 original movies Sci Fi hopes to make for 2003.
Old 07-09-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by AJW

The network also wants to continue developing what Hammer calls its "boy action movies" -- thrillers that involve sci-fi or fantasy elements and "mayhem every 8 minutes or so." A number of them will be included in the 22 original movies Sci Fi hopes to make for 2003.
God that's a sad (but accurate) statement about the state of affairs over at Sci-Fi channel.
Old 07-09-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They don't pick up Rangers, cancel Chronicle and I-man, miss out on ST-STN and DS9 and ST: V...but they order 65 shows of dream interpretation? Dream Interpretation?! The next thing you know, SciFi will have a show about some huxter claiming to talk to dead people. Oh...umm..nevermind.

I guess no one has realized that the only reason USA was popular while Bonnie Hammer was running it is because of the WWF.

So now that she's destroying SciFi, the blame will go to a 'declining market' and 'over emphasis of space shows' instead of her obvious contempt of the target audience.

D
Old 07-09-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm very up for a Quantum Leap movie... Bellasario is exec producer and I trust him not to make crap. Bakula and Stockwell would have to be in it, but I wouldn't mind watching a series with a female lead.. hmm... Evil Leaper who turned good? Could Be...
Old 07-10-02, 02:55 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

hmm... Evil Leaper who turned good? Could Be...
My first thought when I read that article. If they went with that I wonder if they could get Rene Coleman (I think that's her name) to do it. It's not like she's acting in anything lately.
Old 07-10-02, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Spoiler:
aren't there a bunch of leapers? On the last episode of the show, they have one other guy that turns blue and leaps, and another guy who's reflection in the mirrior was someone else and stuff like that.. so I got the idea from that that there was some kind of leap program started later on, maybe to find Sam or something since they say he never returned home
Old 07-10-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
at the very least there was an evil version of Sam, so the technology he developed was probably used by other people later on
Old 07-10-02, 01:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I was never much of a Quantam Leap fan, but I'd be willing to checkout a Tremors TV show.
Old 07-10-02, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just think, we could possibly get a Sliders 2.0 out of this.
Old 07-11-02, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I remember when the Sci-Fi channel was the first thing I tuned to.

Man, that was a looooooooooooong time ago.

They could have redeemed themselves by picking up Legend Of The Rangers, but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Until someone who really knows and cares about science fiction is running the channel we can count on more crap from them. At least I still get to see re-runs of Babylon 5 once in a while.

I just can't wait until the B5 box sets are out. Assuming that they ever really do come out....
Old 07-11-02, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B5Erik
I just can't wait until the B5 box sets are out. Assuming that they ever really do come out....
jms has been recording audio for features on the discs for a while now. For the first time in years, I'm realistically optimistic about something involving those a-holes at WB.

das
Old 08-01-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
This is a good a place as any to post this I guess. I stumbled onto this info. Not terribly new (6/04), but more recent than the original idea was pitched in 2002. This is an excerpt from an interview with Trey Calloway, writer of Quantum Leap: A Bold Leap Forward, the new tv movie to launch the new series.

S: Is there a time frame or a time limit for this agreement with Sci-Fi?

Trey: Not as I understand it. It’s really a situation of scheduling for everyone—myself, Don and Sci-Fi included. At this point the two-hour backdoor pilot (script) has been completed. I finished the script, the network and studio are very happy with it. Don is obviously heavily ensconced in not one, but two shows at the present, and Sci-Fi has a busy schedule as well. It’s all about trying to find the best time to go into production and relaunch this thing, not just as a stand-alone 2-hour. Because there are so many fans of the original series, I know Sci-Fi has every intention of trying to roll this out as a new series. There is a lot of timing and scheduling that has to come into play. I’m about to start on a new project with Todd McFarlane (Spawn) at FOX which is an anthology series called Twisted Tales. So we have to get everyone in the room and figure out how and when this works.
As far as scheduling, with Bakula's show canned, and Bellasario's load lightened with the cancellation of Jag, maybe this could be on deck. I couldn't find any info on sci-fi's website.

Plot-wise he reveals some tidbits in the full interview.

Quantum Leap Ring reported Oct. 2, 2004 that Kimberly Cullum joining the cast of Quantum Leap: A Bold Leap Forward as the female leaper, Sammi-Jo Fuller. Fans of Quantum Leap will know that she is a familiar face in Quantum Leap, for she played the parts of Abigail Fuller in Trilogy: Part I and Sammi-Jo Fuller in Trilogy: Part III.

She isn't listed on imdb as a cast member, but Dean Stockwell is and they are listing a 2005 release. Probaby false info.

So it looks as if things are underway. I know others above < cough>das,< /cough> have reservations, but I think this would be a great addition to sci fi as a regular series, and I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-01-05 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-01-05, 03:20 AM

Hmm...interesting.
Old 08-01-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by AJW
Might be a female lead in the Quantum Leap Movie

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?26862

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The Sci Fi Channel is "bringing things back to Earth."

... "back-door" series pilot in 2003. ...

22 original movies Sci Fi hopes to make for 2003.

2003!??!? Are we time travelling back 2 years?!
Old 08-01-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by theedge
2003!??!? Are we time travelling back 2 years?!
Did you happen to notice the date on this post?
Old 08-01-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think, much like Ken Johnson's proposed "V: The Next Generation" that the Quantum Leap idea is pretty much dead in the water.
Old 08-01-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think, much like Ken Johnson's proposed "V: The Next Generation" that the Quantum Leap idea is pretty much dead in the water.
The V thing turned into a remake instead which has been active as recently as April 25th. Ilana's V Site
Old 08-01-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
both Bakula and Stockwell are free since the series they were on both ended
Old 08-01-05, 04:04 PM

Enough Tremors ffs
Old 08-01-05, 04:51 PM

Cool. I was a big fan of the Quantum Leap series, and recently had a chance to relive the first 2 seasons on DVD. I also like the Tremor movies. I think the first one is seriously underrated, and it makes a pretty decent rental if you are in the mood for something a little offbeat.
Old 08-02-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, they greenlight stuff like this but they fail to get the new Doctor Who. Bonie Hammer strikes again.
Old 08-03-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Wow, they greenlight stuff like this but they fail to get the new Doctor Who. Bonie Hammer strikes again.

BIG mistake on SciFi's part as the new Who is FANTASTIC!

Andrew

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.