Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to Capital Gang?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-12-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I used to love this show when it was on every Saturday Night on CNN, and then it vanished sometime last year I believe, and I never heard exactly why.
Was it low ratings or did the show run its course?
Old 02-12-07, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNN Disbands 'Capital Gang' As Part of Schedule Shakeup

By John Maynard
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 24, 2005; Page C07

"The Capital Gang" convenes for the last time tonight.

After 16 years, CNN is pulling the plug on the inside-the-Beltway show created by Robert Novak that has featured a plethora of panelists. The last show will air tomorrow night.

A revised version of the Sunday morning show "On the Story" will replace "Capital Gang" Saturdays at 7 p.m. beginning July 9.

"On the Story," which since its 2003 debut has featured CNN's female correspondents swapping notes on the week's events, will add male reporters. Christiane Amanpour will also join the show as it attempts to broaden its international coverage.

The program will be taped in front of a studio audience on Friday nights at George Washington University and will continue to re-air Sundays at 10 a.m.

While "Capital Gang" never drew huge audiences on Saturday nights, it has seen a steady decline in the past four years, averaging just more than 500,000 viewers this year, a nearly 40 percent drop.

The schedule change is the latest move by new CNN President Jonathan Klein to shake things up at the network, which continues to lag behind Fox News Channel in the ratings. Earlier this month, CNN announced it was replacing the weekday afternoon shows "Inside Politics" and "Crossfire" with a new three-hour afternoon show anchored by Wolf Blitzer called "The Situation Room."

Novak, who had appeared on both "The Capital Gang" and "Crossfire," will be a regular contributor to Blitzer's show.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062301940.html
Old 02-12-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess it took a good year + to actually notice this show was gone