Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ABC considers asking "LOST" producers to cut 13-week hiatus short ...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC considers asking "LOST" producers to cut 13-week hiatus short ...

Old 12-19-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
to make sure the viewers fully understand the title of the show.
over my head

Old 12-20-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, Daybreak is officially gone? I saw the first episode and gave up on it.
Old 12-20-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
There is no way ABC will run 16 episodes non-stop starting in January. Lost's season will be over by the end of April.

With Day Break's failure, I doubt any network will want to air any new unproven shows during the November-January period. I will fully expect to see 1-2 episodes of a current show and lots of repeats.
Old 12-20-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
While I am fine with ABC doing whatever it likes (and me making a decision whether or not to continue watching the show), I think the only way you bring the show back early is if you can beg another couple of episodes this season out of the producers.

If they stick with 6/16 next season, I would strongly suggest to them that they find a way to spin off a character or two from the show (perhaps Michael and Walt) and greenlight a miniseries about those characters made by a different set of writers and crew. Air that in the LOST hiatus.
I hope I never see Michael or Walt again. They were the worst part of the series.
Old 12-20-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
over my head

everyone I know who watches the show is completely "Lost" as to what is going on with the 1 million questions and the 1 answer.
Old 12-20-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
They should just start showing repeats of the first part of the season now, and then viewers can both catch-up on what they may have missed, and ABC will be able to run the ENTIRE season with no breaks.
Old 12-20-06, 12:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
i just want the show to stop dragging out storylines, through there is alot of "flashbacks" i really find them to be time consuming and very annoying. lets either show them getting killed or show them somehow getting off the island.
I agree, I'm finding 'Lost' getting very repetitive and old.

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I hope I never see Michael or Walt again. They were the worst part of the series.
their story was grating to say the least.
Old 12-20-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
They should just start showing repeats of the first part of the season now, and then viewers can both catch-up on what they may have missed, and ABC will be able to run the ENTIRE season with no breaks.
This would make entirely too much sense. Anyone who wanted to join the current season but didn't have time to get caught up on last season on DVD before this season started could join in. THAT would make advertisers even more happy!

The cost for beefing up LOST's post production temporarily seems well worth saving some face with a jaded fan base.
Like these "jaded fans" aren't going to watch if they have to wait until March? Frankly, knowing it would be on EVERY Wednesday from that point until the end of the season is a big plus to me. No confusion about missing one because they skipped random weeks in the middle.

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-20-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd
To be fair, they weren't so bad before they were seperated. It was actually interesting seeing a dad trying to connect with his son whom he hadn't seen in 9 years, and instead seeing him bond with Locke.

Fact is they couldn't keep a kid on the show because of the shows timeframe and the actor aging. Once they seperated them, they became the most annoying part of the show however.
Old 12-20-06, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure Michael and/or Walt are coming back in some shape or form in the future to the show. If only in flashbacks but probably in present day as well.
Old 12-20-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Giles]I agree, I'm finding 'Lost' getting very repetitive and old.QUOTE]

I completely agree. I have been a staunch supporter of Lost since it began airing, but the series has gone nowhere since the S2 finale. Meanwhile, newer shows like Heroes have come out and have shown how to properly do an episodic series that has many questions/mysteries, without alienating your audience by raising 20 questions one episode and answering maybe 2 of those the rest of the season.

I can only think that the move to 10pm will cut the audience for Lost even further. I'm guessing that the show will not last however long it was projected(5 years? 7?). I'd guess that the writers will have to start answering some of the BIG questions, and soon, lest the viewing audience just give up on the show entirely.
Old 12-20-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=PalmerJoss]
Originally Posted by Giles
I agree, I'm finding 'Lost' getting very repetitive and old.QUOTE]

I completely agree. I have been a staunch supporter of Lost since it began airing, but the series has gone nowhere since the S2 finale. Meanwhile, newer shows like Heroes have come out and have shown how to properly do an episodic series that has many questions/mysteries, without alienating your audience by raising 20 questions one episode and answering maybe 2 of those the rest of the season.
Let's be realistic. Heroes has had what, 11 episodes, and Lost has had like 50. I also don't think it has answered as much as people think it has, but that's just my opinion.

Start soapbox...
People just need to stfu up about Lost. The show's format should be well known to just about everyone by now, and if you didn't think the mysteries would be long and drawn out you must have missed that this was a JJ Abrahms creation.

The 24 threads became infintely better once people stopped whining about the plot and predictability and just watched the damn thing; I wish the same could happen here.
...end soapbox.
Old 12-20-06, 05:35 PM

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...371206485.html

Updated at 11:44 a.m., Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Fire destroys Kailua home of 'Lost' actress Lilly

By Dave Dondoneau and Mary Kaye Ritz
Advertiser Staff Writers

The Kailua home that "Lost" actress Evangeline Lilly rents with two other women was engulfed in flames this morning and appears to be total loss.

Five fire trucks responded to the call around 6:45 a.m. Neighbors said the fire started at least by 6:30 and quickly spread. There was nobody home at the time. "Lost" was filming at a Waialua Beach this morning and one of Lilly's roommates who works on the set returned home after the fire was out.

She declined comment.

The early-morning fire at 684 Iana St. in Kailua brought quick response from neighbors, many who said they heard "popping" noises as the fire raged.

"I woke up to my dogs barking," said Morgan Janus, a neighbor who lives across the street. "There were loud popping sounds, like something electrical."

Janus said by the time she got outside, firefighters had already been called and were on the scene within 20 minutes.

By 7 a.m. the fire was doused and soon after firefighters were able to enter the home. Part of the problem slowing the firefighters were the bars on the house's windows. Firefighters had to cut through the bars in order to get inside to check if anyone was home.

Nobody was, said fire department captain Kenison Tejada.

Jorge Duarte, a neighbor who lives across the street, was the first on the scene. He said when he saw the flames he ran across the street and broke the glass at the front door hoping to help anyone who may have been trapped inside.

However, when he broke the glass "smoke poured out," so he said he knew he couldn't go inside. He grabbed a hose and started to hose down the home and surrounding area until the fire department arrived.

Another neighbor, Jill Turner — a former firefighter — said she was in bed when she heard the popping.

When she got to the home smoke was pouring out, so she covered her mouth with her sweatshirt and started spraying water on the back and surrounding areas.

She said she heard popping glass.

"It was bad pretty quickly," she said.

Another neighbor who helped was Dian Grant.

"I was wrapping Christmas presents. I thought it was someone throwing packages through that window (by her house)."

Grant said when she saw the flames, she went outside and grabbed a hose to water down the house. She only left it to bang on the window of her own home where her 19-year-old grandson was staying.

The cast of "Lost" was scheduled to break for Christmas tomorrow.

Chris
Old 12-20-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
I have been a staunch supporter of Lost since it began airing, but the series has gone nowhere since the S2 finale.
I would argue that it's even worse than that... instead of going nowhere, they've actually gone backwards in terms of progress.

Spoiler:
A large part of Season 2 was the introduction of the 'tailies' and their backstories. Now, they're basically all dead. What was the point of that, exactly? It's almost like half the episodes now have been wasted on characters that don't play into the overall story any more.
Old 12-20-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=dvd182]

Let's be realistic. Heroes has had what, 11 episodes, and Lost has had like 50. I also don't think it has answered as much as people think it has, but that's just my opinion.

Start soapbox...
People just need to stfu up about Lost. The show's format should be well known to just about everyone by now, and if you didn't think the mysteries would be long and drawn out you must have missed that this was a JJ Abrahms creation.

The 24 threads became infintely better once people stopped whining about the plot and predictability and just watched the damn thing; I wish the same could happen here.
...end soapbox.
Well said.
Old 12-20-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope Evangeline and her roomies didn't have any pets.

There goes my 24/7 Evan-cam idea.
Old 12-20-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I would argue that it's even worse than that... instead of going nowhere, they've actually gone backwards in terms of progress.

Spoiler:
A large part of Season 2 was the introduction of the 'tailies' and their backstories. Now, they're basically all dead. What was the point of that, exactly? It's almost like half the episodes now have been wasted on characters that don't play into the overall story any more.
I agree with you 100%, but if you've seen the American Express "Lost Moments" you know that
Spoiler:
Cindy from the tail section is alive and well and apparently living comfortably with the Others.

At least not ALL of the tailies were a total waste of airtime.

Originally Posted by dvd182
Start soapbox...
I know the format of Lost well, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it up until this point. JJ Abrams' previous show Alias was the exact same format, and look what happened to it after the second season. The plots got more and more outrageous, more and more questions were raised and not answered until very late in the game, and all the while ratings were in a decline up until the show wrapped. Sound familiar?

Also, keep in mind that JJ Abrams left Lost after the first season to work on MI:III. Even after wrapping the movie he still hasn't done much with the show other than writing the S3 opener, and I believe that it shows. Look at the quality of the show when he was actively working on it, and afterwards when he went to work on MI:III. And now with him working on the next Trek film, I don't think we'll see much involvement from him on the show which is truly a shame.

Here's the thing, though - I really like Lost. I hope that the show can get turned around and get back on track quickly, but I don't have high hopes. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Old 12-20-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be proven wrong, you'd need to be right in the first place. kthxbye.
Old 12-20-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
i just want the show to stop dragging out storylines, through there is alot of "flashbacks" i really find them to be time consuming and very annoying. lets either show them getting killed or show them somehow getting off the island.
ABC wants them to drag it out but I think it may backfire on them.
Old 12-20-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like it's not going to restart earlier than planned (at least not new episodes). ABC sent out episodic information today for the February episodes, and it's coming back Feb. 7, as previously announced. But they have added a highlight/recap show (surprise!) at 9pm on the 7th before the new episode at 10.
Old 12-21-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't complaining that the show has gone nowhere since the S2 finale just a bit ridiculous? It has been 6 episodes, and the story has certainly changed in those 6 episodes. A lot hinges on the back 16 if you ask me. If we're in a similar place to where we are now at that point, perhaps it's time to start complaining. If things get going in those 16, I don't see the problem. I just think people are pissed for two reasons:

- They don't like the biggest thing to happen so far in S3
- They wanted more than 6 crummy episodes so far

I don't think the big event in S3 so far negates the season 2 tailies progress at all. Without the tailies story, you don't get Henry Gale.
Old 12-21-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott27
Looks like it's not going to restart earlier than planned (at least not new episodes). ABC sent out episodic information today for the February episodes, and it's coming back Feb. 7, as previously announced. But they have added a highlight/recap show (surprise!) at 9pm on the 7th before the new episode at 10.
Got a link to that episodic information? I'm guessing you mean episode descriptions and official airdates, right -- I'll take anything I can on upcoming episodes
Old 12-21-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
I can only think that the move to 10pm will cut the audience for Lost even further. I'm guessing that the show will not last however long it was projected(5 years? 7?). I'd guess that the writers will have to start answering some of the BIG questions, and soon, lest the viewing audience just give up on the show entirely.
I think continually losing audience share is a good thing for diehard fans. It means the show won't drag on endlessly and they will get to wrap it all up.

Originally Posted by bboisvert

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
We've still got Bernard! Completely intigral to the scope of things.
Old 12-21-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure how many comic book fans read this thread, but I just found out that (IMO) the best writer working in comics, Brian K. Vaughan, has been hired as an executive story editor on the show. Now, anyone who knows his work on books like Ex Machina or Y: The Last Man knows that he is a master at handling many plots and subplots, and knows how to dole out the info to satisfy fans. This could definitely be a step in the right direction for the show.

Here's the Link to his blog where he talks about it a bit.
Old 12-21-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
Got a link to that episodic information? I'm guessing you mean episode descriptions and official airdates, right -- I'll take anything I can on upcoming episodes
I don't have a link. I get the information directly from the network at my job.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.