Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Legion of Superheroes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legion of Superheroes

Anybody watching? Its on its second episode. Definitely not at par with Justice League, more like Teen Titans.

Show is on Saturday morning, right before The Batman.
Old 10-03-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I cannot believe I have been missing this. I have loved LoSH since Mike Grell in the early 70's.
Old 10-03-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DvdGene
Anybody watching? Its on its second episode. Definitely not at par with Justice League, more like Teen Titans.
I disagree that it's more on par with TT than JL. Actually, it's probably closer to JLU when considering the planned revolving door of supporting characters (trying to ID all of the Legion characters in the background of the Timberwolf ep. is a LOHS geek's dream). The first ep. was brilliant. The second was a bit of a drag but still great stuff.
Old 10-03-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
The style is bit cartoony but to me the show isn't that bad. That's said, I've never been a fan of Superboy or The Legion in the comics. Anyway, I've noticed many hardcore Comic book fans already hate it. But that's pretty normal.

I've always enjoyed guest heroes on DC cartoons so I look forward to the revolving door.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-03-06 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-03-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
No, I cannot believe I have been missing this. I have loved LoSH since Mike Grell in the early 70's.
Yeah, it's not bad. I was a fan of the Mike Grell run on the series and Dave Cockrum before him. My favorite was when Grell did his take on a backstory about Karate Kid and made him look like Bruce Lee.
Old 10-04-06, 08:18 PM

I did mean cartoonish. The animation is closer to Teen Titans than JLU. Why didn't they do the animation like the crossover story in JLU with Supergirl joining the LOS? Heck, even the Superman TAS had a crossover episode with the LOS. I believe it was in Volume 3 of the Supes TAS dvd box sets.

But the storyline has more potential than TT since they have more characters to rotate and develop.

That being said, I loved the series when I was a kid and will continue watching. It still remember the book where they lost Ferro Lad and Wildfire (I think).
Old 10-08-06, 12:04 PM

I'm new to the Legion of Superheroes, as I've never read any of their comics or even heard of them prior to this cartoon. So I have a few questions:

1. Is Lexi a real character or just an animated twist on Lex Luthor?

2. I thought this was supposed to be "Superboy" and the Legion of Superheroes, why do they continually refer to him as "Superman?"

3. My only exposure to the Legion was the recent JLU episode (and the Superman: TAS episode) and the version of Braniac depicted on that show is quite different than the version depicted on this new show. Not only in demeanor (confident vs.wimp), but the fact that he has the ability to "stretch" his head and arms, etc. Not to mention, I believe the Braniac featured on JLU was not a robot so to speak, but was organic in nature. So, which is the truer interpretation of the character and his abilities?
Old 10-08-06, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mijang
I'm new to the Legion of Superheroes, as I've never read any of their comics or even heard of them prior to this cartoon. So I have a few questions:

2. I thought this was supposed to be "Superboy" and the Legion of Superheroes, why do they continually refer to him as "Superman?"

3. My only exposure to the Legion was the recent JLU episode (and the Superman: TAS episode) and the version of Braniac depicted on that show is quite different than the version depicted on this new show. Not only in demeanor (confident vs.wimp), but the fact that he has the ability to "stretch" his head and arms, etc. Not to mention, I believe the Braniac featured on JLU was not a robot so to speak, but was organic in nature. So, which is the truer interpretation of the character and his abilities?
2. I may be over simplifying this, but in a nutshell, a judge ruled that the name and use of Superboy belonged to the estate of Jerry Siegel. To avoid having to pay anything to the Siegel's for this show, DC chose to go with Superman instead of Superboy.

3. The JLU version of Brainy is more true to his character.
Old 10-08-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by mrglass

I've always wondered how "Brainiac" got in the Legion. Is this not the same arch enemy of Superman or is this some decendent version?
Old 10-08-06, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've always wondered how "Brainiac" got in the Legion. Is this not the same arch enemy of Superman or is this some decendent version?
There are several explanations (depending on what version of the DCU you're reading). The first version has Brainiac 5 joining the Legion to make up for his ancestor's misdeeds; the last one I read had "Brainiac" as a title given to the smartest member of the Coluan race, and the first Brainiac took the title out of admiration for the computerized Brainiac.

I think that's right - any love from the otheer comic geeks?
Old 10-08-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DvdGene
That being said, I loved the series when I was a kid and will continue watching. It still remember the book where they lost Ferro Lad and Wildfire (I think).
Ferro Lad was the first LSH member to die. Wildfire, from what I can remember became the leader of LSH during Mike Grell's run on the series.
Old 03-09-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
There was a new episode of this yesterday and it looks like a new episode for next week also. It might be on at a new time.
Old 03-10-08, 10:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I tuned out in 10 minutes... very teen titan-ish

Too many Lad's and Boy's

I was lookining forward to this - and was very dissipointed to see it geared toward 4yr olds. - I loved "The Batman"
Old 03-10-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Are you saying you thought this Saturday's episode was the pilot?
Old 03-10-08, 11:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
^^ Are you saying you thought this Saturday's episode was the pilot?

I set my DVR to record Spiderman saw this was on and recorded it as well. The episode started with some sort of back story so I figured this was not the pilot - but it was too kiddie for me to hang in there for very long.
Old 03-11-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by mrglass
2. I may be over simplifying this, but in a nutshell, a judge ruled that the name and use of Superboy belonged to the estate of Jerry Siegel. To avoid having to pay anything to the Siegel's for this show, DC chose to go with Superman instead of Superboy.

And the fact that there are two (maybe 3, I don't quite remember what the Superman TAS version was like) different animated versions of the Legion stays true to the comic book too, as there are multiple versions running around the DC universe...

Did they address Brainy's origin in this incarnation? In Superman TAS, they changed Braniac into a Kryptonian robot that was responsible for the destruction of Krypton, so the whole "inspired by the robot" thing makes sense. Otherwise, Braniac was a Coluan who eventually transferred his mind into a metal robot, and Braniac 5 is his descendant. He definitely shouldn't be a robot.

Although, like Teen Titans, I would have much preferred a Timm-verse incarnation of this series, I like it ok... it is introducing a whole new generation to the Legion.