Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-31-06, 12:30 AM   #1
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

Just started watching The 4400... (Spoilers)

I always knew I would love this show, it's just that there's so many shows out there that it's impossible to keep up with them and still work, study, and have a life

Awesome premise. I'm in the middle of the pilot where the guy's head "explodes" ... right before he died I knew what was going to happen, then he falls on the table leg ... there I was watching motionless.

Awesome show, I can tell The little girl is already starting to creep me out. I bet the army dude and the grandaughter end up together. Now if I was the mother of the 6 month old/12 year old, I just wouldn't give her up, I'd fight for her.

Since this is my thread I'd like to ask PLEASE spoiler-tag anything that I HAVEN'T watched (I'll update this first post with what episode I just got done watching), because I'd like to come back to the thread as I watch more and I'd like to be kept unspoiled

Who else has some 4400-loving?
Old 08-31-06, 07:46 AM   #2
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

Enjoy the first mini-season as a standalone, because imo there's a real quality drop-off from season two on.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-31-06 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-31-06, 09:16 AM   #3
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

Something told me that I thought I'd read in the Season 4 thread that people weren't caring anymire if it came back or not.
Old 08-31-06, 09:31 AM   #4
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, we watched S2 and S3 more out of a lazy TIVO-induced "want to watch a 4400?" time filler than any type of burning "we must see what happens next" way of thinking.

A few better-than-average eps here and there, though S3 did manage to build to a tolerable payoff.
Old 08-31-06, 09:47 AM   #5
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed, like Smallville, the 4400 just seems to be going through the motions. S2 and S3 really drag on, but the endings were both done well. Enough to give you hope for the next batch in a year. I'll be tuning into S4 based on the promise that S3's ending gave.
Old 08-31-06, 12:29 PM   #6
mdc3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Posting half way through a pilot might have been jumping the gun a bit! Anyway, I like the show...until Season 3 I pretty much Loved the show, but this season just felt like going through the motions and even watching it became a chore. It was very obvious that due to
Spoiler:
Billy Campbell's schedule
they had to add LOTS of filler episodes before they could pick up the thread for the REAL story they wanted to tell
Spoiler:
The addition of Alana was the worst idea EVER IMO
I'm hoping it can right itself in season 4, but if it continues to just drag, I'll be done with it.

MATT

Letterboxd
Rank 'Em As You See Them 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 Spending Tab 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
Old 08-31-06, 01:20 PM   #7
Mr. Thames

Season One was the best. According to the extras on the Season Two DVDs, they didn't know that they would be coming back as a full series so they tied up a lot of loose ends. When they did get picked up, they were like "Oh, crap! What do we write about now?!". The writers said that if they had known in advance that they would be coming back to do a Second Season, they would have stretched out the whole "Why were the 4400 returned" storyline over the course of a few seasons.
I didn't think Season Two was too bad. It did have some really good episodes. It was only Season Three that seemed a little off to me, mainly because the storyline changed SO much. But the last few episodes were very good and set up Season Four quite nicely.

Last edited by Mr. Thames; 08-31-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 01:38 PM   #8
bboisvert
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the first season. Season 2 was slow moving and frustrating, with silly soap-opera level plots that went nowhere. Season 3 was more of the same. I won't be watching Season 4.
Old 08-31-06, 02:21 PM   #9
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

I'm up to the
Spoiler:
the part where the army dude and graddaughter's apartment blows up
. So, should I just watch the first season and then skip the rest? Some of the stuff I want to watch is The X-Files (I'm making it through ALL seasons, I've watched here and there but I've made through the first season and plan to watch all eps of all seasons), Angel (saw through the end of Season 1), Desp. House. (saw through the end of 1st season), Bones, Deadwood, Taken, Lost 2 when it comes out, etc.
Old 08-31-06, 03:21 PM   #10
Mr. Thames

I think overall that it's good enough to watch all the seasons.
Old 08-31-06, 11:51 PM   #11
chrisfelice

I don't agree with any of this...

I think the 4400 is one of the best shows I've watched... I loved it when if first started and have not lost any interest in it whatsoever....

The last episode of this season left me anxiously waiting for more...
Old 09-01-06, 12:00 AM   #12
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished Season 1 and waiting on BBuster for Season 2. I read some spoilers on the website
Spoiler:
about Kyle killing housing dude and Touchy-Feely becoming leader and the diary and the last name change for Maia and Maia saying "He's going to die!" and the govt infecting the 4400
and honestly I'm looking forward to all of it. It doesn't seem Season 3 is out on DVD yet. Can't wait, great show!
Old 09-01-06, 12:24 AM   #13
riley_dude
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whow has never lived up to it's potential.
Old 09-01-06, 07:35 AM   #14
lordwow
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the first season as a blind buy during a DDD 20%, and I was hooked. I got through the first disk of the Season 2 DVD and gave up.
Old 09-01-06, 07:39 AM   #15
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

I loved the first season and recently started season two. I'm halfway through and can't force myself through it. It's just not the same show.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 09-01-06, 08:30 AM   #16
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

You people are not making this easy by being almost equally divided. I guess it's worth a slot in my rental queue. Sigh
Old 09-01-06, 08:34 AM   #17
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
It doesn't seem Season 3 is out on DVD yet.
S3 only ended its run this last weekend. You may be waiting a while for that.
Old 09-01-06, 11:28 AM   #18
d2cheer
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the show and would recommend it to anyone. That said this season was a real bummer compared to the first 2 seasons... The last 4 episodes of this season were better, but they are really going to have to step up next year. For me though since it is a summer series and it isn't taking the place of anything else, I will continue to watch.