Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Star Trek" returns to celebrate it's 40th anniversary....sort of

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Star Trek" returns to celebrate it's 40th anniversary....sort of

A Fan produced feature-length digital miniseries that starts shooting on July 12 called "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men" will be Produced in part by the team behind "New Voyages," this new webisode — which will be distributed on the Internet in three parts — stars Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig reprising their roles as "Uhura" and "Chekov," but in the post-Kirk time of Enterprise-B captain "John Harriman," reprised by Alan Ruck. Tim Russ will direct, and will also appear as a younger "Tuvok." The film will include other performances by Garrett Wang ("Harry Kim"), Chase Masterson ("Leeta"), Grace Lee Whitney ("Janice Rand"), Gary Graham ("Soval") and Crystal Allen (from "Bound"), along with some special "surprise" guests.

"Of Gods and Men" is executive produced by Sky Douglas Conway, head of PlanetXpo and producer of "Lady Magdalene's" and the "Roddenberry on Patrol" short film, and the script was written by Conway along with Jack Trevino and Ethan H. Calk, both of whom contributed to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes. Other behind-the-scenes professionals from the actual show will be involved, such as Doug Knapp as director of photography.

The miniseries will be shot in part on the “New Voyages” set in New York State, and will also include locations in Los Angeles. Learn more at the movie’s web site Star Trek: Of Gods and Men.
http://startreknewvoyages.com/forum/...ff7aef46e81b2&

That's quite the Trek cast! And what better way to avoid Paramount or B&B screwing things up?
Old 06-23-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PlanetXpo is running the 40th Anniversary Convention too, I believe, which at last report, is shaping up to be a bit of a joke. And last I recall, the New Voyages team will be at Dragon*Con.

das
Old 06-23-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this legal? Paramount actually signed off on it?

D
Old 06-23-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the site:

JUST A LITTLE CLARIFICATION:

While we are thrilled to be helping with this endeavor, Please remember that this is "A SEPERATE" project from "NEW VOYAGES." This project was/is started by Sky Conway.

He contacted us, and asked us about the use of our sets, props and volunteers. We here at New Voyages are VOLUNTEERING behind the scenes to help Sky with his Trek dream. This is his project and we are along for what is sure to be a fun ride.

NO money is being made. We are not being paid. We are not charging for the use of our sets. We are still abiding by the guidelines given to us by Paramount more than two years ago.

The fan films are a vital part of Star Trek and it's history. No other franchise on the planet can boast of such a dedicated and vocal fanbase! It is our dream that CBS/Paramount will someday license and support these fan films, they already license fan fiction through their pocket books division. This would be the next logical step! At any rate we are grateful to CBS/PARAMOUNT for 40 years of this enduring legacy, called Star Trek. We here at New Voyages support and thank them.

James Cawley
Old 06-23-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I dunno... Paramount has a nasty habit of responding so poorly/late to these kinds of things that everyone just *thinks* they've decided to turn a blind eye, only to get bit in the ass. Hope this isn't so high-profile that it kills the whole fan-episode community. I was just starting to get into the hopelessly lame, but good fun, Hidden Frontier myself.

New Voyages home

Last edited by adamblast; 06-23-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Geoge Takei talked about this on Stern a week or so ago, so he's apparently in it too.
Old 06-24-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes they signed off on this, this has been going on for years now, theres several "episodes" but only lately have they been getting original cast to partisipate.
Old 06-26-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Geoge Takei talked about this on Stern a week or so ago, so he's apparently in it too.

Yeah, I think I remember him saying that he and Uhura get stranded somewhere together. I'm sure he'd rather be stranded with a hot guy but what can you do.
Old 06-26-06, 01:25 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sweet!
Old 01-02-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first episode is finally available: http://startrekofgodsandmen.net/

Kinda like the ultimate fan film. Obviously a low budget affair, but the actors all seem to be giving it a solid effort.
Old 01-02-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

18 months to get the first episode out! And it was only another 20 minutes over the 3 minutes they've had out for months now (taking out the credits).

Despite the low-budget, it was pretty good. Given the "possible" plotline that has leaked on the Abram's movie, it seems there might be some overlap.
Old 01-02-08, 03:34 PM
Banned

Fan films are vital?????
Old 01-02-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
he's also talked about "hot... wet... bitches?" but that doesn't make them canon
Old 01-02-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you liked this, be sure to check out the last episode of New Voyages ("World Enough and Time", with Takei) as well. I think it's better.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/
Old 01-03-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Of Gods and Men today and loved it. Better than the last couple of Trek movies.
It just goes to show you good things can be done with Trek if placed in the right hands and away from Braga and Berman.
Old 03-18-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part 2 was released over the weekend.

Everything was just a bit better in the second part and there were some good scenes between Chekov and Uhura. It's nice to see the Vulcan shuttle harkens back to TMP and the Vulcan ships recall ST: Enterprise.

No word as yet on the release date for the third and final part.
Old 03-19-08, 11:45 AM
Suspended

I wish these episodes weren't shot as close as they are. The whole thing is making me feel claustrophobic. I guess the sets are pretty tiny.
Old 03-19-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I wish these episodes weren't shot as close as they are. The whole thing is making me feel claustrophobic. I guess the sets are pretty tiny.
Agreed.

The camerawork in general kinda annoys me. But, I can't really expect Hollywood-level work here.
Old 03-19-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
40th anniversary. Damn, I remember playing the 25th anniversary game on my 486, and I think I have a 25th anniversay lithograph somewhere.