Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

the Sopranos -- "Luxury Lounge" -- 04.23.2006

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when did artie bucco become a tough guy?? i mean this is the same guy that got his ass kicked by a russian a season or two ago and started crying
Old 04-25-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a difference between mentioning that AJ will be in the show, and saying that the show will be centered around him. I am definitely not looking forward to next week's episode as much now that I know it will revolve around him.

Regardless, I always read spoilers, so it doesn't matter either way to me
Old 04-25-06, 08:18 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
when did artie bucco become a tough guy?? i mean this is the same guy that got his ass kicked by a russian a season or two ago and started crying
You lose your one honest to god passion in life for no good reason and you'll probably toughen up a little too.
Old 04-25-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
You lose your one honest to god passion in life for no good reason and you'll probably toughen up a little too.
Precisely. You could tell that when Bennie first socked him in the mouth, it was the same old Artie-beaten and cowering. Then, he just snapped and opened up a can on Bennie. Artie's character has been a mixed bag for me over the years, but I really enjoyed him in this episode.
Old 04-25-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't help but wonder just HOW pissed Tony would have been if Christopher had been caught, arrested and his mugshot been all over the papers and Entertainment Tonight.

That was a pretty high-profile risk for such a low payoff.
Old 04-25-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
I can't help but wonder just HOW pissed Tony would have been if Christopher had been caught, arrested and his mugshot been all over the papers and Entertainment Tonight.

That was a pretty high-profile risk for such a low payoff.
Yeah. Plus, that was some pretty useless shite to try to be able to make any money from. The vacation voucher was pretty funny. Who the hell is going to use a stolen voucher when it's obviously going to implicate you in the crime? Hopefully that part was meant to be funny!
Old 04-25-06, 02:06 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus
The vacation voucher was pretty funny. Who the hell is going to use a stolen voucher when it's obviously going to implicate you in the crime? Hopefully that part was meant to be funny!
Kinda like when Tony gave his mother stolen airline tickets for her vacation? Except, of course, he didn't tell Livia they were stolen.
Old 04-25-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I don't understand why Tony doesn't want Benny offed for running a credit card scam in the restuarant run by his childhood friend. I know he's soft since the coma, but COME ON!

I don't see HOW Bennie would be stupid enough to run the scam in the first place, let alone why Tony would let him live once he found out Bennie was doing it.
Well not to MENTION that Tony commented that Benny was secretly running the scam... meaning Tony wasn't even getting his "taste" to which he is entitled.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I'm not sure I got the significance of the two "tailors" from Italy showing each other what they bought.
While I can see the other opinions regarding this scene, I saw it as a contrast in values - a post-9/11 view of America. The dollar is so bad that these guys were able to buy stuff in the US for a whole lot less than they cost where they're made in Italy. Meanwhile all the American mob guys are scrambling to seemingly grab "goody bags" off elderly actresses and pinch as much off the boss' payout as they can get away with.
Old 04-25-06, 03:02 PM

Chris is still a dumbass
Old 04-25-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
This is a difference between mentioning that AJ will be in the show, and saying that the show will be centered around him. I am definitely not looking forward to next week's episode as much now that I know it will revolve around him.

Regardless, I always read spoilers, so it doesn't matter either way to me
In fairness, just because we saw AJ appear in the preview for the next episode doesn't mean that he is going to be the focus of the show. Without reading spoilers, none of us know that.

As for the ep, I thought it was great. I have been really happy with this season. I thought Ben Kingsley was great, though like someone else said it began to get a little old. And I was SHOCKED not only that Lauren Bacall was on the show but that she was punched. Gotta give it up to this show. Could there be another show out there that could score Kingsley and Bacall as guest stars and then have one of history's most beloved actresses punched and mugged?

And I'm glad we got a little payout from the Benny story. I haven't (and still don't) really cared about Benny at all, but having his story becoming twisted into Artie's story was a great move. My favorite line of the night was from Artie: "We lead the world in computerized data collection!" That line just slayed me.

And I guess those Arab guys are terrorists or at least undercover. They're definitely up to no good, and this could prove to be the family's ultimate downfall. Does Tony really know anything about the family doing business with them? I know he's aware of them, but I don't remember him giving permission to do business with them.
Old 04-25-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Of course this is a great season so far... minimal Janice!!
Old 04-25-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Boobs, Ben and Betty, it don't get any better!
Old 04-25-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Whether or not you find it "stupid", it is considered respectful of other members here to always put preview information in spoiler tags.
I guess that's settled. Hopefully people will remember this after
Spoiler:
next week's (for those who don't want to know if there's an episode or not next week)
episode of
Spoiler:
The Sopranos (for those who love the show but don't want to know exactly which show they're watching)
so we don't have a repeat of this week.
Old 04-26-06, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
After Christopher had his fun with the drugs and the girl, he called his pal from Jersey, telling him that he's chipping badly, to come up to California.... Who was this friend? His anti-drug sponsor? Was this friend supposed to keep him off the coke? Or was this friend suppose to bring him a load of more coke??

I dont think it is his sponser. This was the same guy that went into Italianissimo and picked up the memory card with the credit card numbers on it and gave it to the "terrorists". I think he's also the same guy that Carm caught with Benny in Angie Bumpensiero's body shop from last week's episode. Could it be that Benny is not only doing the credit card scams with Artie's restaurant, but Italianissimo AND the body shop (without Tony's knowledge) ????
Old 04-26-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
I dont think it is his sponser. This was the same guy that went into Italianissimo and picked up the memory card with the credit card numbers on it and gave it to the "terrorists". I think he's also the same guy that Carm caught with Benny in Angie Bumpensiero's body shop from last week's episode. Could it be that Benny is not only doing the credit card scams with Artie's restaurant, but Italianissimo AND the body shop (without Tony's knowledge) ????
He is Chris's sponsor, IIRC that is how he met Chris. He started doing jobs for him, IDs I think, and it grew from there.
Old 04-26-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I guess that's settled. Hopefully people will remember this after
Spoiler:
next week's (for those who don't want to know if there's an episode or not next week)
episode of
Spoiler:
The Sopranos (for those who love the show but don't want to know exactly which show they're watching)
so we don't have a repeat of this week.
Being a wisenheimer in response to a moderator's admonition is probably not a great idea.
Old 04-26-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Being a wisenheimer in response to a moderator's admonition is probably not a great idea.
But a somewhat funny one, in an anti-establishment sort of way.
Old 04-27-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great ep. got a question, is the "danny leiner" who directed the episode, the same guy who did Harold and kumar, and dude wheres my car?
Old 04-27-06, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
great ep. got a question, is the "danny leiner" who directed the episode, the same guy who did Harold and kumar, and dude wheres my car?

Sure is. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0500444/
Old 01-16-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: the Sopranos -- "Luxury Lounge" -- 04.23.2006

Wanted to bump this up to give some of you Mad Men fans a heads-up about this great Sopranos episode. Matthew Weiner who wrote it provides a great running commentary on the DVD. Check it out.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-16-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
"Murmur" is not only Chris's sponsor, he's also a master forger.

As far as Tony denying involvement to Phil:
Johnny Sac wants word out that Tony did the hit for fear of repercussions from within his own crew. Remember Johnny said Frankie Valli still had some strong supporters (Little Carmine for one) within the family and he couldn't do it himself without risking mutiny. The more people know it was Tony who ordered the hit, the better. It's called plausable deniability. Tony wants to keep it on the low for exactly the same reasons. He knew perfectly what he was doing when he denied involvement to Philly. It was a smart move, not an alzheimer's one.

Totally Agree.

The stripper was definitely the hottest Bing Girl I ever saw. Or remember at least. We.Must.Get.Her.Name.

Are you referring to the stripper or the hooker in Chris's hotel room? If the latter, then completely on board.

Funny seeing the Hasidics again. Involved in the credit card scam no less. I flashed back: [Walnuts]I'm not embarassed. Syl, you embarassed?[Walnuts] as he proceeds to pound his head with the desk bell.

Matthew Weiner pointed out the irony of both the hasidics and the arabs being tied together and profiting from the same c/c fraud. Great observation.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-16-10 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 03:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

goddamn i miss this show