Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Attack of the Show appreciation thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Attack of the Show appreciation thread

RIP agreed. There's definitely room for a show of its type on tv. Its only a matter of time before the same show with a different name pops up on Spike.
Old 01-24-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Someone tell JJ Abrams that Sara Underwood needs a job!
Old 01-25-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Sad news. Oh well, here's a pic of Sara Underwood:

Subtle.
Old 01-25-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That ending is really neat. As a lapsed fan of both AOTS and X-Play, are these last episodes worth tracking down? I'm assuming X-play didn't do anything with Sessler or Kate Botello.
Old 04-27-14, 08:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/22..._medium=social

Olivia Munn on the demise of G4.
Old 04-27-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
That was interesting. I wish it was a little longer so we could've heard more. Olivia's personality seemed completely different than what I remember; she seemed genuinely sad about G4 going away.

I think G4's decline may have had more to do with it's parent company mucking it up and less to do with the "gamers and geeks hacking everything and getting it for free". I mean, X-Play and AOTS were extremely popular, so it not like no one was watching. A problem I always thought G4 had was, for a nerd/gamer channel, it didn't seem to have a lot of nerd/gamer content outside of X-Play and AOTS. I never care for any of the hosts X-Play or AOTS had, so I never watched G4 that much, but whenever I passed it up on the guide, it seemed like it was always showing Cops, Campus PD, or some other non-geeky show. From what people said, it seemed like there was more nerd/geeky content when G4 was TechTV. From what I've read/heard about TechTV, I think I would've liked that channel more than G4.

I think there is room in the TV landscape for something like G4 and the content it provided, but I don't know if that content needs an entire channel dedicated to it. Maybe a 2 hour block on something like Spike would be sufficient, although I'm not really sure what stations that content would fit on. Are there any channels gearing up to be a G4 replacement?
Old 04-28-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
That was interesting. I wish it was a little longer so we could've heard more. Olivia's personality seemed completely different than what I remember; she seemed genuinely sad about G4 going away.

I think G4's decline may have had more to do with it's parent company mucking it up and less to do with the "gamers and geeks hacking everything and getting it for free". I mean, X-Play and AOTS were extremely popular, so it not like no one was watching. A problem I always thought G4 had was, for a nerd/gamer channel, it didn't seem to have a lot of nerd/gamer content outside of X-Play and AOTS. I never care for any of the hosts X-Play or AOTS had, so I never watched G4 that much, but whenever I passed it up on the guide, it seemed like it was always showing Cops, Campus PD, or some other non-geeky show. From what people said, it seemed like there was more nerd/geeky content when G4 was TechTV. From what I've read/heard about TechTV, I think I would've liked that channel more than G4.

I think there is room in the TV landscape for something like G4 and the content it provided, but I don't know if that content needs an entire channel dedicated to it. Maybe a 2 hour block on something like Spike would be sufficient, although I'm not really sure what stations that content would fit on. Are there any channels gearing up to be a G4 replacement?
Agreed on all points, and sadly the only "network" that comes close to capturing gaming culture....and by close I mean they miss the mark by 1000000000000000000000000 miles. Spike TV *shudder*
Old 04-28-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I'm amazed a bigger show hasn't scooped Sara Jean Underwood up to do something since the demise of AOTS. Give her a yoga show.

I think what killed this channel is that its prime demo, younger game players, all migrated away from television. They get their content off the Internet and aren't the most reliable fanbase.
Old 04-28-14, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think what killed this channel is that its prime demo, younger game players, all migrated away from television. They get their content off the Internet and aren't the most reliable fanbase.
Agreed, and I think that's what Munn was getting at. I have been listening to Pereira podcasts off and and, and he's still as entertaining as ever. But there's just not much you can do with a podcast format, even if it's on video, it's still just two people talking.
Old 04-28-14, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pereira did the Psych finale, and did a good job. I used to like Munn, and even read her terrible book, but for some reason, I just got really sick of her. Maybe it is the way that she left the show, maybe it was the Brett Ratner thing, or the *supposed* leaked photos of her, but she comes off as trying way too hard.

As for the show, I was a huge fan but little by little, it grew stale. If it was still on, I'd probably record and watch them when I got a chance, but like others have said, I don't think that the show really worked as a TV product anymore - it was destined to eventually turn into a video podcast like the whole TWIT crew, where they wouldn't be as controlled as TV.
Old 04-28-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Obligatory "If Screensavers was still on, I'd still be watching it even though I could get everything on the internets" post. Well, I wouldn't watch it live, but I'd DVR it and let it stack up and watch it occasionally.

Of course, once the channel went off DirecTV it was pretty much dead to me anyway.
Old 04-28-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Agreed, and I think that's what Munn was getting at. I have been listening to Pereira podcasts off and and, and he's still as entertaining as ever. But there's just not much you can do with a podcast format, even if it's on video, it's still just two people talking.
Every now and then I will watch Kevin's game show and cringe. His talents are so wasted on that show but I assume it's a good paycheck.
Old 07-17-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Just a heads up that Kevin Pereira will be on Chris Hardwick's @Midnight show tonight on Comedy Central.
Old 07-18-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Looks like Candace will be back on TV soon, co-hosting a GSN game show called "The Line".
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...me-show-718740
Old 10-01-14, 07:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://www.avclub.com/article/trutv-...-lifeha-209472

Kevin has a new show coming soon on TruTV... could be good.
Old 08-02-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kevin has been producing a web show called "The Attack". It got picked up by DisneyXD and is now on Monday through Thursday at 9:30PM, with reruns overnight and on the weekends. There are two young hosts and they do stuff similar to AOTS--showing web videos, little sketches and stunts. I heard Kevin narrating a piece the other day.
Old 08-02-17, 09:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Kevin has been producing a web show called "The Attack". It got picked up by DisneyXD and is now on Monday through Thursday at 9:30PM, with reruns overnight and on the weekends. There are two young hosts and they do stuff similar to AOTS--showing web videos, little sketches and stunts. I heard Kevin narrating a piece the other day.
Is it videogame centric?
Old 08-02-17, 09:31 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Cool. I'll have to check it out.

Just noticed it's also available on the Watch Disney XD app. It's listed in the "D|XP" section. I'm watching the first episode right now on my Roku.
Old 08-02-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is it videogame centric?
Some videogame stuff here and there. Disney XD now has some more videogame only shows running now, so you can look for them.
Old 08-03-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Watched "The Attack" on Disney XD yesterday... it really is like a jr.version of attack of the show, but as I'm not the target audience I have no idea if that's actually interesting to teens. The host is like Kevin Jr. though. And yeah they have an entire block of video game related stuff around it.
Old 08-03-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Someone let us know if they ever stick a running web server up someone's ass.

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video9038
Old 08-03-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

No Sara Underwood, no sale!

Old 08-03-17, 07:21 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
No Sara Underwood, no sale!
Her twitter feed is awesome.

https://twitter.com/saraunderwood
Old 08-03-17, 09:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Watched "The Attack" on Disney XD yesterday... it really is like a jr.version of attack of the show, but as I'm not the target audience I have no idea if that's actually interesting to teens. The host is like Kevin Jr. though. And yeah they have an entire block of video game related stuff around it.
yeah, i couldn't take it...
Old 08-21-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Even though the show is a little interesting when it's on it's a little tough watching him on Hack my Life.

He should be doing something better than that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.