Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Spin-off Series: TORCHWOOD

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by turborobb
Cool. Although I can't make out the end of the tagline.
Old 09-03-07, 08:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save the Planet - One Alien at a time

Old 09-03-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by turborobb

Hey! That's my picture!

Never thought it'd make the rounds here. I didn't think anyone would care.

This particular billboard is on La Brea Blvd. Sorry about the sucky picture. I took it while I was driving. I saw it from afar and quickly fumbled to get my cell phone out to grab the pic.

Wish the show it spun-off from got the same publicity.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-03-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I've seen a few eps of Torchwood so far and it's interesting, but I'm just not as enthused about it as I am Doctor Who.
Simply put, it has the Captain Jack character who doesn't even really act like the character that was on Doctor Who and you have a cast with no chemistry.
It's not exciting, say, like Heroes, it's just dull.
I did like the last 3 episodes a bit more though. Hopefully they will have more of this flavor next year.
Old 09-05-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torchwood is downright DREADFUL!!!

I'm a HUGE Doctor Who fan and this series was a total disaster. Maybe 3-4 decent epsiodes from Season 1. Can't believe this POS got renewed for a second season.
Old 09-05-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Heliosphann
Torchwood is downright DREADFUL!!!

I'm a HUGE Doctor Who fan and this series was a total disaster. Maybe 3-4 decent epsiodes from Season 1. Can't believe this POS got renewed for a second season.
LOL.
The Producers idea of making an Adult series was having everyone jump into bed with everyone. All titillation and no substance.
Old 09-05-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
LOL.
The Producers idea of making an Adult series was having everyone jump into bed with everyone. All titillation and no substance.
I keep wanting to like the show for two reasons.

1) Captain Jack (although, as said above he's not the same as in Who)
2) The last three episodes were good

However, then I remember the worst example of what you described:
Spoiler:
The *uck buddies line.
Old 09-05-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Additional cast spoiler (from the Buffy-verse) for Torchwood Season 2:
Spoiler:
James Marsters (Spike) guests on an early episode, and is in talks to return for more as the same character.

His character sounds like Jack himself--omnisexual, not-quite human or from another time. Possibly a villian.
Old 09-08-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
After reading so many negative reactions, I was prepared for a disappointment - but I thought it was terrific! Looking forward to the entire season now.

Incidentally, John Barrowman worked here in the U.S. for several years in musical theater, starring on Broadway with Carol Burnett in Putting It Together (which is available on DVD) and he had the lead role in the Kennedy Center's production of Company.
Old 09-10-07, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
After reading so many negative reactions, I was prepared for a disappointment - but I thought it was terrific! Looking forward to the entire season now.
Sure, the pilot was pretty good. It's all downhill from there.
Old 09-10-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
No, there are some good parts throughout the season and it picks up towards the end.

Keep in mind, it's very different to recomment a 13 episode season to somebody than a 22-26 episode season. If this were in the second category and maintain the same standard across then I probably wouldn't recommend it. However, as it is, I think there is enough goodness to sit through the 13 episodes to get to the good parts.
Old 09-10-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll continue to tune in. Seemed fairly entertaining for a pilot.

Doug
Old 09-10-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seemed to be in mono though. The commercials were stereo, just not the show. I've already seen it all anyway.
Old 09-10-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is BBC America editing the hell out of the episodes to show commercials every five minutes like they do with everything else?

If so, I'll just Netflix the DVDs. I've already seen the first few shows uncut, but I have no interest in seeing the rest in truncated form.
Old 09-10-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Is BBC America editing the hell out of the episodes to show commercials every five minutes like they do with everything else?

If so, I'll just Netflix the DVDs. I've already seen the first few shows uncut, but I have no interest in seeing the rest in truncated form.
I thought the originals came in around 42-45 minutes. If that is the case I wouldn't expect much in the way of cuts.
Old 09-15-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Torchwood breaks records

BBC America has said the premiere of Torchwood on the channel delivered the biggest audience of any drama premiere in the 58-million-subscriber network's history.

The series, shown at 9pm Eastern Time on Saturday nights, attracted 496,000 total viewers, according to network officials.

In the target demographic of persons ages 25 to 54, the premier got 297,000 viewers. That's slightly ahead of how action drama Robin Hood performed when it premiered last year, at about the same rating (0.42). Viewer numbers were higher for Torchwood than Robin Hood because BBCAmerica is in more homes now.

A second airing, at midnight ET and 9 p.m. PT Saturday, delivered a 0.19 rating (139,000 viewers) in the target demographic, or 241,000 viewers overall.

Figures cited are live viewing and same-day viewing, which adds in a day’s worth of digitally recorded watching.

Meanwhile the series has received some very good reviews in the US press.

The Hollywood Reporter called the series "a crackling good, brilliantly conceived sci-fi series that targets actual grownups" while the Los Angeles Times described the show as "indescribably delicious".

TV Guide said the programme was a "a cheeky and often startlingly adult spin-off" and Variety said it has the fixings of a thinking-man's sci-fi series that doesn't take itself too seriously.

The Kansas City Star says the programme is "one of the best serial dramas to arrive on American television in 2007" and The Philadelphia Inquirer describes it as "by turns super-slick, raw, bizarre, hilarious, spooky, scary and sublimely sexy".

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette calls Torchwood "an adult sci-fi show with a sense of humor", The Seattle Post Intelligencer calls it "a thrilling spinoff" and The San Jose Mercury News says the series is "an imaginative, wickedly funny spinoff from the revived and revitalized Doctor Who".
Old 09-15-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought torchwood was pretty good. Not as good as Dr Who but well worth watching.
Old 09-15-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, agreed. I think he Cyberwoman is a low point.
Old 09-15-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Just saw an ad for this show on HDNet; they're going to air the show in HD starting this Monday, Sept 17 at 7pm ET.

The commercial looked incredible, much better quality than the BBCA airing. So for those who can tolerate being a show behind BBCA, this would be the better option if you can view it.
Old 09-15-07, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
I thought the originals came in around 42-45 minutes. If that is the case I wouldn't expect much in the way of cuts.
Wasn't too many cuts in this weeks episode. You don't get to see the guard go to "completion," the clients at the clinics waiting, some cardiff flyover, and one driving scene stuff were cut.

The first episode was the longest of the series (~52 minutes). I think there's only one other episode that gets into the 50 minute range the rest are around 46 minutes counting the credit scroll. They included bits of the declassifieds (behind the scenes show) during the commercial breaks this episode + had the interview bits Barrowman recorded recently for BBCA which weren't part of the UK broadcast.
Old 09-16-07, 03:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

[From my perspective, having watched it on BBC2, I had the benefit of no advertisement breaks].
For the most part I thought the show improved after the first couple of episodes which themselves I thought were "OK". Some of the later shows were quite hard hitting and you could definitely see that they were going for the adult audience.

At times the bi-sexuality references seemed a bit clunky but, that aside, it was a fair effort and I'll be tuning in to see what they do with the next series.

If they match the best episodes of the first series I'll carry on with it, if they rest on their laurels and only match the more mediocre episodes I suspect that I would jettison it.
Old 09-16-07, 11:33 PM
Banned

We watched the first two episodes that have aired on BBCAmerica so far & had the same reaction as a lot of others. Not dreadful, not great...just okay. Certainly not as compelling as Jekyll or as much fun as Doctor Who (and nowhere near the originality of Buffy or Angel).

We'll probably keep watching as a Saturday night alternative to racing or football, but won't sweat it if we miss an installment. The characters need a lot more development (of course, it's only been 2 episodes), but we also felt that it needed either more humor or more action...or more of both. Whoever said that the commercials showed the best parts of the season seems to have been on target...they really whetted our appetite but the show didn't grab us as we had expected.

On the other hand, Hotel Babylon has gotten our attention in a big way, which was a total surprise. We expected another sleazefest along the lines of Mile High (which we gave up on very quickly)....but boy, were we wrong!
Old 11-04-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first time through I inadvertently missed "They Keep Killing Sussie", but I read up on what happened. I figured no big deal. Since I didn't see it before, I had the opportunity to watch it this past weekend and figured I may as well. Two key observations (after having already complete the season):

1) The episode is rather integral to the overall season. More importantly I think it is key how it ties the very first episode into the backend of the season! In fact, seeing this, I think it makes the entire season that much stronger than I originally thought.

2) I think it may actually be one of the best episodes of the season. I think some of the strongest parts of the season deal with the mystery of "Who is Jack Harkness?" We learn a little more of this in "Captain Jack Harkness", but obiously not everything. We also learn more about this in
Spoiler:
S3 of Doctor Who when Jack guest stars. Side question - does anybody know when this happens? I don't think it's at the very end of S1 for Torchwood. Scenes don't sync up
. But even that does not answer everything.
Old 11-21-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Torchwood - Series 2 Discussion Thread

Looks like Series 2 will be kicking off on BBCA shortly after it starts up on BBC2 in January.

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php
Old 11-22-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read that. Gonna catch up on the rest of Series 1 over the holidays with hopes that it gets better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.