Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Spin-off Series: TORCHWOOD

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 10:58 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a long-time Dr Who watcher, I find that Torchwood is that naughty creature you always wished the series would spin into. It's as much comedy as adventure, although it veers into pretty emotional territory now and then. But I've already defended this series in previous threads. So I'll merely add that if you can get into it, it's a great show.
Old 07-09-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Yeah, who's playing this in the US? They're going to have a to cut quite a bit.
It is odd that SciFi did not pick this up with S3 of Doctor Who. I can't seem to find any real information about anyone's plans to air it in the US. Would suck to have to wait for a DVD release to see it.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I think it actually runs concurrent with Series 3.
They don't cross-over at all (like Buffy and Angel did) do they? Even minimally (like a character "visiting" in an episode) would annoy me not knowing what was going on with Torchwood.
Old 07-09-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
It is odd that SciFi did not pick this up with S3 of Doctor Who. I can't seem to find any real information about anyone's plans to air it in the US.
riley_dude had it right, it's BBCAmerica.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/23....jsp?bc_id=164
Old 07-09-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Spoiler:
Dr. Who's most recent companion, Martha
...will be featured in at least 3 eps of Torchwood S02. As for S01, I don't remember any explicit crossovers, although Jack refers to the Doctor tangentially from time to time, and the finale's last moments...
Spoiler:
played on the potential for such a crossover--though I'm expecting it to remain off-camera...

Last edited by adamblast; 07-09-07 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
riley_dude had it right, it's BBCAmerica.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/23....jsp?bc_id=164
Thanks - never would have found that. So I guess I'll have to wait until fall before this schedule gets implemented? Odd that they licensed S3 Doctor Who to SciFi while they'll probably show them themselves shortly thereafter.
Old 07-09-07, 11:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
From that page it looks like they'll also be showing Jekyll. A fantastic series from Stephen Moffat (and about 1000x better than Torchwood). I recommend everybody check that one out when it arrives.
Old 07-09-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
From that page it looks like they'll also be showing Jekyll. A fantastic series from Stephen Moffat (and about 1000x better than Torchwood). I recommend everybody check that one out when it arrives.
I watched the pilot last night.
Old 07-09-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I watched the pilot last night.
Never heard of it. Is it being reshown again?

Originally Posted by adamblast
Spoiler:
Dr. Who's most recent companion, Martha
...will be featured in at least 3 eps of Torchwood S02. As for S01, I don't remember any explicit crossovers, although Jack refers to the Doctor tangentially from time to time, and the finale's last moments...
Spoiler:
played on the potential for such a crossover--though I'm expecting it to remain off-camera...
Spoiler:
The end of season 1 of Torchwood, Jack leaves with the Doctor which leads into his three episode arc on season 3 of Doctor Who. Jack refers to his team of Torchwood to the Doctor but they are sent away.

Last edited by riley_dude; 07-09-07 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 07:47 PM

I couldn't get past Episode 4 (The Cyberwoman one). I'm still trying to catch up on the rest of the season but I just can't bring myself to watch them. The show just didn't do it for me.
Yep, I'm in a similar boat. I was able to make it to halfway through the "Greeks Bearing Gifts" episode (episode 7) before I couldn't take it anymore. I keep hearing that the show gets better later, so one day I hope to finish off the season.
Old 07-10-07, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Never heard of it. Is it being reshown again?
It's available the same place Torchwood currently is until BBCAmerica plays it (whenever that might be).
Old 07-10-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by areacode212
Yep, I'm in a similar boat. I was able to make it to halfway through the "Greeks Bearing Gifts" episode (episode 7) before I couldn't take it anymore. I keep hearing that the show gets better later, so one day I hope to finish off the season.
The only episodes that were half way good were the last three. A time travel episode that leads up to the finale.
Old 07-31-07, 05:27 PM

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...0070731hdnet01

HDNet Delves into the Supernatural with the Smash-Hit BBC Series "TORCHWOOD" Premiering Monday, September 17

Provocative Sci-Fi Thriller Set to Air Every Monday in High Definition on HDNet Beginning September 17 at 7:00 p.m. ET

DALLAS -- HDNet announced today that it has acquired the high definition rights to the first 26 episodes of TORCHWOOD, the hit sci-fi drama that the BBC describes as "inventive, intelligent and unpredictable."

Set in Cardiff, Wales, TORCHWOOD is the name given to a renegade group of investigators who scavenge alien technology to solve crime, both alien and human. Led by Captain Jack Harkness, the Torchwood Institute is a group onto themselves, "separate from the government, outside the police and beyond the United Nations." The series delves into the unknown, with the characters battling against the impossible and highly volatile world of savage aliens and monsters while still trying to maintain their own lives.

In what the BBC called an "incredible achievement," the first two installments of TORCHWOOD set a ratings record in the U.K., scoring higher than "LOST" when the two programs went head-to-head.

"We're thrilled to be airing TORCHWOOD in HD," said Mark Cuban, president and co-founder of HDNet. "This is certainly a Russell T. Davies signature show. TORCHWOOD explores adult themes and doesn't shy away from anything. Whether it's the diverse storylines or the hero's ambivalence to sexual boundaries, this is not your typical show, and I love it."

TORCHWOOD is a spin-off of the long running science fiction hit DR. WHO. HDNet will premiere TORCHWOOD on Monday, September 17, at 7:00 p.m. ET with encore airings scheduled for 10:00 p.m. ET, and 1:00 a.m. ET to accommodate West Coast prime time.

For more information on TORCHWOOD, please visit:

www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/
Chris
Old 08-06-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw the previews on BBC America last night when I was watching Jeckyll. They actually make this show look better than it is by showing all the highlights from the entire season.
Old 08-07-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as a long time Doctor Who fan, I loved Torchwood. Great fun to see something set in the Doctor Who universe without the Doctor. I like that it stands on it's own without any serious crossovers. I have a friend who can't stand Doctor Who and I let him borrow my copy of the show and he loved it, not knowing he was watching Doctor Who. ha ha
Old 08-30-07, 08:23 AM

TV Guide creamed themselves over Torchwood in the latest issue. There's two full articles (a glowing review and an interview with John Barrowman), a blurb in the weekly highlights section, and a full page ad. There's never been this much attention paid to Doctor Who!
Old 08-30-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Ashame since it has 40 years of history.

I've actually heard bits and pieces now on S2 of Torchwood and it sounds much more promising.

I didnt know this at the time, but I missed the episode
Spoiler:
where the girl who stole the glove in the beginning gets resurected
, so I'll have to catch that when it airs.

I'm also curious on peoples opinions concerning
Spoiler:
then last scene of S1 and ep 11 of Doctor Who S3. I don't think it's the same moment in time for Jack. For example, he says he sent his team away, but they were all around talking since he had just woken from the dead.
Old 08-30-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I loved the show and can't wait for S2.

I usually compare it to "Angel"--another squad-based monster-of-the-week show with a male lead that's half badass and half pouty model.

The writing was uneven last year, but not moreso than Who, imho, and I did care about all the characters. Others may find the gay content off-putting, but I'm thrilled by it... and fascinated that gay content is so absolutely mainstream in the UK now.

Last edited by adamblast; 08-30-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-30-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never seen Doctor Who, would I be able to get into this show without that?
Old 08-30-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I have never seen Doctor Who, would I be able to get into this show without that?
Yes - most definitely. If I recall correctly, there are a few references to events from Doctor Who, but I don't think they are explicit. Rather, everything you need to know is explained in the story, but if you saw the DW episodes, you'd have that much better understanding of what went on (not that you need to).

It's like The Jefferson's was to All in the Family. You knew where the characters came from, but you didn't need to see the original to watch the spin-off. In this case, you know where the character (Captain Jack Harkness) came from [well sorta ], but you don't need to know where/how in order to start this spin-off.
Old 08-31-07, 10:46 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally! I'm glad to see some respect for Torchwood. I had a ball watching it last year.
Old 08-31-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I updated the thread title with the premiere date.
Old 08-31-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
S2 of torchwood will have Martha in it and then she'll go back to Dr Who. I wonder who will be traveling with the Doctor when she is gone.
Old 08-31-07, 02:16 PM

Spoilers for Season 2 of Torchwood and Season 4 of Doctor Who.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Spoiler:
S2 of torchwood will have Martha in it and then she'll go back to Dr Who. I wonder who will be traveling with the Doctor when she is gone.
Spoiler:
Donna (the "Runaway Bride" from last Christmas)
Old 09-01-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Torchwood billboard in Los Angeles!

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3573/0829071228rx1.jpg
Old 09-03-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I've seen a few eps of Torchwood so far and it's interesting, but I'm just not as enthused about it as I am Doctor Who.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.